What Are the Sunshine State Laws and Should they be Amended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
while I am all for transparency in government, the amount of information released in this case and I am sure other FL cases, is counterproductive.
I am just floored today by what is available to the public regarding this case.
c-r-a-zy imo,

JMHO of course.

while I am all for transparency in government, the amount of information released in this case and I am sure other FL cases, is counterproductive.
I am just floored today by what is available to the public regarding this case.
c-r-a-zy imo,

JMHO of course.

Have to agree with there JBean, never seen anything like it.

I think the sunshine law is fine - I do see a desperate need for legislation to protect volunteer workers from unethical, dishonest defense attorneys. Our society is lawsuit-phobic and litigious enough as it is. No need to allow people to be harassed for looking for a missing child.

I have mixed reviews for the sunshine law. On one hand, for example, the Anthony's would still have been on a very public campaign against LE and for the innocence of their sweet daughter, imo. Without having the benefit of reading the truths in the doc dumps, would public sentiment be swayed in the other direction? I do love a good doc dump to set the record straight, I must say. On the other hand, it is quite unfortunate that it does tend to drag in the innocents and also the opportunists. 50-50.

I don't live in Florida but I do think the law should be amended to keep current cases out of the press. It muddies the water ( well the jury pool) and really serves no real purpose. As long as all information , really all, is released after a trial and all are held accountable for accurate records. With criminal charges if there is any sign of falsified records.

I am very much in favor of keeping them the way they are now :)

As a Florida resident, I think the Sunshine Law is fine just as it is. Any defense lawyer worth his paycheck would not have fought against a gag order in this case... then we wouldn't be seeing every little thing that turns up in this very twisty turny case. The law is intended so that the citizens of Florida can see for itself what their elected officials are up to. My mother tells me that it came as a result of the former practice of closed-door sessions of some of the more corrupt government officials. Sunshine Law prevents that and cleaned up the State. As a tax-payer, I want to see what they are doing with my money and that includes the judicial system. This case is a bit over the top I will agree but we can't really help it if JB didn't understand the Sunshine Law when he fought that gag order.

As a Florida resident, I think the Sunshine Law is fine just as it is. Any defense lawyer worth his paycheck would not have fought against a gag order in this case... then we wouldn't be seeing every little thing that turns up in this very twisty turny case. The law is intended so that the citizens of Florida can see for itself what their elected officials are up to. My mother tells me that it came as a result of the former practice of closed-door sessions of some of the more corrupt government officials. Sunshine Law prevents that and cleaned up the State. As a tax-payer, I want to see what they are doing with my money and that includes the judicial system. This case is a bit over the top I will agree but we can't really help it if JB didn't understand the Sunshine Law when he fought that gag order.

That's because any defense lawyer worth his salt, would not have been basing his payday on the ability to sell pictures, video and materials of the victim to the media. I think that is what needs to be addressed far more than the Sunshine Laws themselves.

I think the Sunshine Law is fine and I have truly appreciated being able to see how professional and detailed LE has handled their portion. The Patriot Act I find to be in violation of the constitution and would love to see it burned.

I agree with you, but I do think they need to at least block out names ,cell numbers, job info and addresses.When they take witness statements this is what causes people to not come forward, and those that do are investigated all over the web.Just think if it was you, would you want that info all over the web?Have to change numbers of phones,media and crackpots can find you you at work,home,that is not fair.Some bosses will fire you because of the media.I would not feel safe and what if you can not afford to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01