What did you think of the State's cross examination of Arias?

How did the prosecution do on cross examination of Arias?

• Awesome: wouldn't change a thing (or maybe just a few things)

Votes: 226 64.9%
  • It was very good: but I was expecting a little more

Votes: 77 22.1%
  • It was good: I think he left a lot out

Votes: 18 5.2%
  • It was pretty good: I think it could have been a lot better

Votes: 22 6.3%
  • It was not good at all.

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters
I don't think it was his ego that motivated him. I think he was just not going to give her an inch, on anything, just to keep the upper hand. If he gave her an inch, she'd take a mile. So he had to make it clear to her that he was not going to let her deflect or dance around the questions. JMO

Katydid
I'm with you on your comment
100% correct support your claim:seeya:

Oh my goodness I guess I'm in the minority here. I voted that he did a good job but sure could have left out things. At points he got into those verbal battles with Jodi and his ego got in the way. It was nonsense and had no part in the case. He had to win those arguments. He took a very long time to get to a very short distance round and round he went.

I do look forward to his summation. That should be a direct line with no wandering around to her guilt. Just moo.

Well, that makes at least two of us in the minority here! Like, when JM would make a statement, then ask JA if she agreed, expecting a "yes" or "no" answer, and she wouldn't answer his way, they would go round and round. To me, he wouldn't let her give HER answer! Many of his questions could not be answered with a simple yay or nay reply. He was trying to force her to say things that agreed with him. She wasn't buying any of that! I felt the jury might begin to empathize with JA a little then. To me, the longer the Prosecution allows her to sit on the stand, making eye contact with the Jury, the worse his case is. Some jurors will see her as a troubled young woman who is being beaten down by another man! Yet she remains nice and doesn't lose her temper. I KNOW IT IS AN ACT, BUT WILL THE JURY? REMEMBER CA AND THE 'NOT GUILTY" VERDICT!

I don't think it was his ego that motivated him. I think he was just not going to give her an inch, on anything, just to keep the upper hand. If he gave her an inch, she'd take a mile. So he had to make it clear to her that he was not going to let her deflect or dance around the questions. JMO

I think he went on and on with Jodi to prove a point of her warped perceptions. Those warped perceptions led to her warped conclusions, which led to murder. So though it was monotonous and tedious, he did a good job proving that she doesn't think logically and her illogical conclusions led to murder.

I would like to see JM walk up and put a websters dictionary in front of JA and ask her to find the definition of "deedify".

Well, that makes at least two of us in the minority here! Like, when JM would make a statement, then ask JA if she agreed, expecting a "yes" or "no" answer, and she wouldn't answer his way, they would go round and round. To me, he wouldn't let her give HER answer! Many of his questions could not be answered with a simple yay or nay reply. He was trying to force her to say things that agreed with him. She wasn't buying any of that! I felt the jury might begin to empathize with JA a little then. To me, the longer the Prosecution allows her to sit on the stand, making eye contact with the Jury, the worse his case is. Some jurors will see her as a troubled young woman who is being beaten down by another man! Yet she remains nice and doesn't lose her temper. I KNOW IT IS AN ACT, BUT WILL THE JURY? REMEMBER CA AND THE 'NOT GUILTY" VERDICT!

Sometimes it is harder to remember what you said the last time when it's a lie and that is the effect JM is going after. From reports, the jury gets it. Jodi has given different answers under JM's questioning because they are lies she just did not catch in time. But the jury is on to her, just as we are. jmo

I thought the cross was brilliant!

Within minutes Jodi's total facade came tumbling down. She wasn't "shaking" and intimidated like the defense wanted to portray her. She was defiant and controlling. I felt that this was every bit as helpful to the case as her answers.

I was a bit uneasy at first wondering if the jury was on their toes enough to catch all the lies he caught her in because they were subtle. Once the jury questions came in I lost all doubt. They GOT it.

You truly have to LOL at the talking heads that have gone on and on about Mr. Martinez losing the jury while Mr. Nurmi simply puts them to sleep. My thinking is he must plead most of his cases out because he has little court room appeal, IMO.

I haven't watched a case since CA but this one has left my house in shambles and my eyes tired from reading. I can't get enough. I've donated to the victim's family and include them in my prayers. I'm obsessed.

I think I've finally come to the understanding of why Travis let her in that last fatal time. When this trial ends I'm sure I'll be left with the feeling of "Do that to me Juan more time". I'm pathetic. I WILL want MORE!!!

Does anyone think she downloaded the pictures on the hard drive she brought with her??? Why did JM ask her if Travis was the one to delete the pictures of them in the bedroom????

I thought he could've wrapped up sooner. He wants 12 people to vote death. She's a relatively attractive woman, she speaks well, she's polite, she consistently makes eye contact with the jury and she's obviously been coached on how to use the prosecutors questions as a platform to be able to reassert her positions. I'm guessing her lawyers want her up there for as many minutes as they can possibly squeeze in. If I were the DA I think I'd have focused as much as possible on the events specifically surrounding the homicide itself and then hustled her off of there.

I thought he could've wrapped up sooner. He wants 12 people to vote death. She's a relatively attractive woman, she speaks well, she's polite, she consistently makes eye contact with the jury and she's obviously been coached on how to use the prosecutors questions as a platform to be able to reassert her positions. I'm guessing her lawyers want her up there for as many minutes as they can possibly squeeze in. If I were the DA I think I'd have focused as much as possible on the events specifically surrounding the homicide itself and then hustled her off of there.

According to the court observers here from WS's Jodi is not making eye contact with the jury because they are not looking at her. She also has that little grin when she thinks she has one upped the prosecutor only to be followed by a blank stare when he catches her in a lie. JM has done that pretty consistently. He also has clearly set her up to prove she has stated other lies he plans to prove during rebuttal. The jury is focused on the prosecution now and not defense. One thing that is obvious is her answers are not spontaneous because she over uses her hands to describe her answers. Most people who are not experts leave their hands on the table in front of them or in their lap. Jodi gives off a subliminal thought to the jury that she is acting out a script. She's not an expert and needs to come off more as a defendant not someone giving a presentation. jmo

I think Juan Martinez has done an awesome job! He has been on this case since 2008 and has had the time to get to know this 'murderer' through the various pieces of evidence and has observed her in the pre-trial hearings. He has studied Arias and knows he has to be tough with her to even get a yes or no answer out of her.

I would never try to second guess a prosecutor of Juan Martinez experience. Jodi has not fooled him for one moment and she knows she hasn't. All she has left is to try to fool just one member of the jury.

GB Juan Martinez and prayers for him and Travis' family. He will bring it home for them! Travis will have justice.

I thought he was very good. He did get into some rat holes of verbal sparring and it did get tedious at times. I too was waiting for him to count out the wounds and show the pictures of each one that last day, but he got some 'gotchas' in there and that was excellent.

I still rate TX ex-prosecutor Kelly Siegler slightly higher overall on cross-exam, having seen both prosecutors in their element, but they're on par; both are the best of the best. His attention to detail and memory is second to none, that's for sure.

I thought Juan did a great job,showing JA for who she is.He is a master at keeping her from guessing where he is going with his questions,so she can have an answer ready!

Kelly Siegler is my favorite prosecutor of all time-She rocks!!!

Oh my goodness I guess I'm in the minority here. I voted that he did a good job but sure could have left out things. At points he got into those verbal battles with Jodi and his ego got in the way. It was nonsense and had no part in the case. He had to win those arguments. He took a very long time to get to a very short distance round and round he went.

I do look forward to his summation. That should be a direct line with no wandering around to her guilt. Just moo.

I thought he was brilliant. Jodi wasn't answering his questions, and those verbal battles were Juan following her where she tried to go and making her come back and answer. He TRAINED HER that she wouldn't get away with twisting things around and to answer him. If you notice, when he questioned her after jury questions....it only took a few seconds to get her to give up and answer. It was masterful. Made me wonder how on earth he learned how to do that.

What JM did to JA is a stroll in comparison to what she did to Travis Alexander. Big deal, he was mean to her, he wouldn't enable her lies, or have her own way to tell her fantasy tale. Now compare that to over 2 dozen stab wounds, a slit throat and a gun shot to the head. The latter alone gives me the willies when I think of the noise Travis experienced inside his head as that bullet forced it's way through him. She got off easy when you look at it through Travis' eyes.

So True, it seems at times that Travis is being left out of this. She's a monster and slaughtered was he was alive, at least when animals are slauther (cut up) for food they are killed first. She's pure evil, I hope the jury gets that. She not only premidated his murder but planned it for months, that shows from the gun being stolen from the grandfather. I hope not only 1st degree, but death. She'll have 20 years in prison if found guity before they ever put her to death, but she deserves death if anyone ever did and Travis deserves justice for all this horrible lies trying to ruin the true victim.

How can Travis send an email to Chris in the month of Jan2007, when according to Jodi they did not start dating yet. How long had she been sneaking into his home?

I thought Juan was wonderful...exceptional...at times, but lacking at others. I also really wanted Juan, in response to ALV's responses regarding who was the victim in this case and she claimed Jodi, to put up the photos of Travis after the killing and follow up with "So this doesn't look like a victim to you?"

While I know how difficult this would have been for the Alexanders, I think the effects would have been palpable.

ETA: This is in the wrong thread...I meant it to be in the "Juan's cross of ALV." Mods: please delete or move if you are able.

I think the shaving exchange went astray. Jodi was right in what she was saying to Flores, in my opinion. But JM brought up the point that she said oral hadn't felt good because he'd needed a shave. I think that might be important because Travis doesn't look clean shaved in the pictures. He looks like he could have shaved that morning, the evening or morning prior, but not the day of the shower pics.

I thought it went really well minus one or two spots. I really like watching JM. It reminds you that it's still about TA not JA's obvious lies.

I think the shaving exchange went astray. Jodi was right in what she was saying to Flores, in my opinion. But JM brought up the point that she said oral hadn't felt good because he'd needed a shave. I think that might be important because Travis doesn't look clean shaved in the pictures. He looks like he could have shaved that morning, the evening or morning prior, but not the day of the shower pics.

I do think the shaving ended up pointing out she was right about her answer.

I don't think JA was prepared at all for JM to pick a part every detail of her story over and over to catch every lie, and point out every detail that could incriminate her she took care of in her fog and now forgets. She thought she would be able to spin the same story to him as her lawyers and when she realizes she can't her her you can see her annoyance, anger, and confidence waver.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northgrund
Back