What do you feel was the motivation to have Burke interview with Dr. Phil? Did no one for see the disaster it would be?

I'm not sure, I've gone back and forth because there's no way people (including Burke) couldn't foresee that the entire interview would be picked apart and ultimately turn out to be disastrous. But I'm curious to hear your theory.

I didn’t watch it (as far as I can remember), and have only seen brief excerpts over the years.

With that qualifier, I wonder if perhaps it was some part of a possible ’image’ rehabilitation effort? To put a ‘toe in the water’ and see the latest temperature on the public perception? (I would envision that the R legal team was there in the wings ready to ‘blow a whistle’ and call time out? And that it was heavily pre-agreed to any questions allowed etc? Speculation on my part…… but also based on past interactions with law officials and the police and district attorney in Boulder, CO.)

And as far as an unforeseen disaster, with a questionable investigative effort and IMO apparent unusual ‘allowances’ and ‘accommodations’ made by the DA to the family - including the so called family exoneration letter IIRC- there was nothing to lose?

For full disclosure from public evidence I have seen over the years, seems IMO that one or more person(s) in the household seem to have gotten away with something that was fatal to or resulted in the death of JBR. And that one, two, or perhaps three or more individuals might have been involved in an apparent cover up of the entire matter? MOO

I believe the motivation was the documentary on CBS that was about to air. They wanted to get ahead of that since it was going to point to Burke as the killer, so attorney Lin Wood convinced John and Burke that he should finally break his silence. I’m sure they wanted Burke to state unequivocally (and for the first time) that he is innocent. It was a car crash, however in the long run it may have been a good move as a precedent to the lawsuit that followed the airing of the documentary, which CBS ended up settling before going to trial.

IMO this interview was to get ahead of the CBS Special that was set to target him as the suspect. It happened in the days leading up to the special. I think it was a disastrous idea. It did not quell the suspicions the CBS special brought. It, in fact, made them worse with his creepy smiling and his demeanor that still portrayed him as socially 10 yrs old. It could have partially been nerves, but that smile never left his face which to me was more than nerves. I feel like part of his smile said I did it, and I'm untouchable. Without the interview I think a large portion BDI would have faded away in time after the CBS special.

I didn’t watch it (as far as I can remember), and have only seen brief excerpts over the years.

With that qualifier, I wonder if perhaps it was some part of a possible ’image’ rehabilitation effort? To put a ‘toe in the water’ and see the latest temperature on the public perception? (I would envision that the R legal team was there in the wings ready to ‘blow a whistle’ and call time out? And that it was heavily pre-agreed to any questions allowed etc? Speculation on my part…… but also based on past interactions with law officials and the police and district attorney in Boulder, CO.)

And as far as an unforeseen disaster, with a questionable investigative effort and IMO apparent unusual ‘allowances’ and ‘accommodations’ made by the DA to the family - including the so called family exoneration letter IIRC- there was nothing to lose?

For full disclosure from public evidence I have seen over the years, seems IMO that one or more person(s) in the household seem to have gotten away with something that was fatal to or resulted in the death of JBR. And that one, two, or perhaps three or more individuals might have been involved in an apparent cover up of the entire matter? MOO
Oh for sure the legal team and JR were in the wings. Dr. Phil said he could ask anything he wanted, but we all know that was BS. The R's have controlled every interview they have given even with police. I also believe that the R's or some close to the R's with power and money have paid off a couple DA's to create an unchargeable case. Hunter was buffoon but possibly a useful buffoon.

IMO this interview was to get ahead of the CBS Special that was set to target him as the suspect. It happened in the days leading up to the special. I think it was a disastrous idea. It did not quell the suspicions the CBS special brought. It, in fact, made them worse with his creepy smiling and his demeanor that still portrayed him as socially 10 yrs old. It could have partially been nerves, but that smile never left his face which to me was more than nerves. I feel like part of his smile said I did it, and I'm untouchable. Without the interview I think a large portion BDI would have faded away in time after the CBS special.
Oh, I think it absolutely was all about the CBS special. And you're right, it did not quell the suspicions, it brought them back up to the surface. Since this case first hit public awareness, there has been much speculation that BR is on the spectrum. The Dr. Phil interview only heightened that speculation as he came across as extremely socially awkward and the creep factor of that smile (which very well could just have been nervousness) made him seem disingenuous and possibly guilty. But in legal terms, it apparently served its purpose.....his first statement publicly that as a 9 year old boy, he was innocent. Of course soon after the CBS special aired a lawsuit was filed which was eventually settled out of court. It was all just a little bit predictable.

The amount of protection that BR has received over the years from his parents is unprecedented. His life since the murder has been very sheltered. His medical records from prior to the murder, during that timeframe and since remain untouchable. The child who exhibited enough awkwardness to make observers wonder if he was on the spectrum grew into an awkward adult. We know virtually nothing of his years after having relocated to Atlanta. Presumably he must've continued school, it is known that he attended high school in Michigan (Charlevoix HS) and there are yearbook pictures, and yet no one who may have had a friendship or personal relationship with him has ever spoken about him to my knowledge. So he was able to continue to lead his life well under the radar, and I do wonder what effect that has had on him. Certainly he seems to have been able to move on from what happened in certain areas of his life, but he still lives what I would describe as a sheltered existence at least in social terms, working from home and keeping very much to himself. So when that aspect of life has been so very sheltered I would imagine that it does not allow for much growth in social skills, which is exactly what we saw in the Dr. Phil interview. And I also have to wonder, does JR even recognize how BR comes across? He and PR protected him and described him publicly as a normal child throughout, and yet I keep coming back to the secrecy surrounding his medical records. There could be something there that the parents did not take as seriously as they should have and then ultimately worked to have "swept under the rug". The indictments that the GJ came down with certainly speak to the belief that both parents knowingly exposed JBR to danger.

I remember watching that interview and I was farking uncomfortable. The look on Burke's face bothered me the entire interview, and I couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't being honest or genuine. I don't care WHY or WHO decided it was a good idea to trot him out on the Dr. Phil Show, it was the WORST possible idea they could have came up with at the time....I don't know if Burke is guilty or not, but that interview really made me evaluate and reevaluate what I knew about the case. I came back to the same place, four people went in that house alive, and only three made it out alive.

JMO

I remember watching that interview and I was farking uncomfortable. The look on Burke's face bothered me the entire interview, and I couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't being honest or genuine. I don't care WHY or WHO decided it was a good idea to trot him out on the Dr. Phil Show, it was the WORST possible idea they could have came up with at the time....I don't know if Burke is guilty or not, but that interview really made me evaluate and reevaluate what I knew about the case. I came back to the same place, four people went in that house alive, and only three made it out alive.

JMO
It is uncomfortable to watch. The optics are terrible.

It is the usual practice to have coaching done for someone who has never been interviewed on TV before, makes me wonder if they did any with BR. If they did, it was not at all effective and also begs the question, did no one recognize how he comes across? JR is a pretty smart guy, but I have to wonder if he had / has blinders on when it comes to his son and how he would be perceived.

There were definitely some moments where I sensed him being deceptive and not being truthful. I've also seen a few analysis' done by body language experts and they picked up on that too. A lot of his mannerisms, etc. could be explained by his obvious nervousness and relative inexperience not only being interviewed on camera, but also his social awkwardness. But there was also deception there with answers to some questions. I too cannot quite conclude unequivocally whether he is guilty or not, but I am convinced that he knows far more than he has ever admitted. Whatever happened in that house that night, IMO the three who survived all knew and all were participants in hiding the truth.

I'm not sure, I've gone back and forth because there's no way people (including Burke) couldn't foresee that the entire interview would be picked apart and ultimately turn out to be disastrous. But I'm curious to hear your theory.
My theory is that along with the CBS special the majority of people have come to the conclusion BDI and have been very good at uncovering information over the years and don't seem to be slowing down.
If I was involved in a cover up, I would be nervous and perhaps whisper in JRs ear to get busy.
IMO , the softball ( or maybe cottonball) interview made Phil look like Miss Nancy and Burke couldn't pull off I'm just regular guy routine. It backfired horribly. People who thought he was innocent had second thoughts because he has such a social and emotional disconnect.

I can only assume they thought Burke would come across as harmless / a sweet "kid", a stark contrast to the picture they paint of the cunning, evil, sadistic intruder.

Contrary to what JR might think, the R's have never had good optics. They could never bring themselves down from their social status and appear likeable. It also didn't help that they put off interviews with the cops, and staged media interviews. Their own behavior solidified them as the suspects in everyone's eyes very early on. I am convinced JR thinks they are normal people because he never takes his view out of his own bubble. If JR is the one who instigated the Dr. Phil interview, I don't know what he was thinking would happen trotting out his socially awkward son to try to stifle speculation into BR being the culprit. Honestly the more they bring themselves out into the media the more they seem guilty by their own behavior. IMO they are guilty, and no one will ever be tried or convicted. The R's just need to take their get out of jail free card and move on.

IMO it still seems difficult to know the motivation for the TV presentation. As many note above, it might well have been an attempt to brunt the upcoming TV episode on the case.

And it is difficult to know exactly what might have occurred that evening into morning. As tezi nicely states above, four people went into the residence that evening, and only three made it out alive. And IMO it seems all from the R’s, to some investigators, and the CO DA offices have played a role in obfuscating the facts or possible accountability.

IIRC I was always puzzled about two elements I seem to recall from early in the case: 1) whether or not BR was awake and present in the room or nearby when I believe the first 911 call was made (or was he supposedly asleep upstairs or in a bedroom - and nowhere within ear-shot when the ‘missing/kidnapped’ child ‘disclosure’ commenced by PR & JR; 2) whether or not JR was clear on which rooms had been checked by him initially and in what sequence and whether IIRC he had first gone upstairs to get BR, or was JR downstairs? And / or BR then came downstairs and when was that? It is going on 30 years so hard to remember.

In the end, IMO it is unfortunate and sad that there was no apparent real or determined attempt to seek justice (including criminally if applicable) for the ‘unexplained’ and untimely death of JBR. Even with grand jury indictments apparently drawn up. Irrespective of whether her death was perhaps accidental or intentional. MOO

IMO it still seems difficult to know the motivation for the TV presentation. As many note above, it might well have been an attempt to brunt the upcoming TV episode on the case.

And it is difficult to know exactly what might have occurred that evening into morning. As tezi nicely states above, four people went into the residence that evening, and only three made it out alive. And IMO it seems all from the R’s, to some investigators, and the CO DA offices have played a role in obfuscating the facts or possible accountability.

IIRC I was always puzzled about two elements I seem to recall from early in the case: 1) whether or not BR was awake and present in the room or nearby when I believe the first 911 call was made (or was he supposedly asleep upstairs or in a bedroom - and nowhere within ear-shot when the ‘missing/kidnapped’ child ‘disclosure’ commenced by PR & JR; 2) whether or not JR was clear on which rooms had been checked by him initially and in what sequence and whether IIRC he had first gone upstairs to get BR, or was JR downstairs? And / or BR then came downstairs and when was that? It is going on 30 years so hard to remember.

In the end, IMO it is unfortunate and sad that there was no apparent real or determined attempt to seek justice (including criminally if applicable) for the ‘unexplained’ and untimely death of JBR. Even with grand jury indictments apparently drawn up. Irrespective of whether her death was perhaps accidental or intentional. MOO
The R's said he was asleep at the time. I have my opinions. I have never heard what other people hear at the end of the 911 call. I am not sure anyone is talking or if it is just static. But I believe he was awake at the time of the 911 call, but in his room to feign sleep when the cops arrived. I also don't believe either parent searched the house because I think they knew exactly where she was. It was mighty convenient that JR finds the body after Officer Arndt asks him to search the house. Which to me is odd by the way, that a cop would ask someone to search their own house after police arrive. I have many different theories for what may have occurred but common denominator is RDI in all my theories.

There could be something there that the parents did not take as seriously as they should have and then ultimately worked to have "swept under the rug".
Why did BR have a psychiatrist in Atlanta? He was 9, shy a month from 10 years old. Is this normal for a child?

Yes, he has lived an extremely sheltered life. This is opposite of what took place when JB was alive. Why was he sheltered afterwards?

He is still friends w/DS.

They put BR on air because they wanted to close that door. BR knew too much about the murder; not to be involved! Their planned failed to prove his innocence. BR stated if they want to prove he did it, then look at the evidence or the lack, thereof.
He was on the 911 call. It is a child’s voice. I heard it many times over before it was lost into the netherworld. So who’s little voice would that have belonged to?

Last edited:
MR. LEVIN: Thank you, Mr. Wood. I appreciate the opportunity [to ask the question].

MR. WOOD: Thank you.

MR. LEVIN: Mr. Ramsey, it is our belief based on forensic evidence that there are hairs that are associated, that the source is the collared black shirt that you sent us that are found in your daughter's underpants, and I wondered if you --

JOHN RAMSEY: . I don't believe that. I don't buy it. If you are trying to disgrace my relationship with my daughter --

MR. LEVIN: Mr. Ramsey, I am not trying to disgrace --

J. RAMSEY: Well, I don't believe it. I think you are. That's disgusting.

MR. WOOD: I think you --

MR. LEVIN: I am not.

MR. WOOD: Yes, you are.

MR. LEVIN: And the follow-up question would be --[Literal minutes of Mr. Wood going on a constant tirade here]

MR. LEVIN: ...This is a murder investigation, and I am trying to get an explanation, which can be an innocent explanation... [More tirades from Mr. Wood here]

J. RAMSEY: ..."If the question is how did fibers of your shirt get into your daughter's underwear," I say that is not possible. I don't believe it. That is ridiculous.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ
Back