What do you remember?

Even that Anna loved sharing liver dinners or suppers with her neighbor is something she might remember. Especially since I don't think liver is a favorite food of children.

I remember too much to put here. I remember moving to our new house when I was 2 1/2, and I also remember what it looked like inside our old house, even though there are no pictures of it.

I remember many things, and some things my mother swore never happened, but I know they did. I know it. No one will ever convince me that I imagined the events. Particularly because for a long time I would report things happening that my parents would deny, just to have relatives step forward 10 years later to confirm that what I reported was correct.

I had a very traumatic childhood, and there are whole periods where I don't remember a thing. But there are also times where I remember everything, down to names, faces, little details. Like one time we were going to the bird sanctuary for a kindergarten field trip, and the girl next to me, S.A., found old bird seed in the cracks of the van seat and ate it (she was very, very poor and only got to eat lunch, and spaghettios for breakfast and supper), and then threw up. I remember it so well, and what we were wearing, the color of the inside of the van, everything. My family did not take a lot of those kinds of pictures, so what I remember is strictly memory. I remember my teacher's name (all my teachers' names), the blow up letters of the Alphabet People, the color of the carpet in the kindergarten, and getting in trouble for giving the answers to my neighbors in the end-of-year tests (because I was so bored and wanted them to finish so we could do something else, lol).

I also remember dreams. I remember I was terrified of bugs and woke up screaming from a nightmare about bugs, and that I refused to go to sleep until this little plaquard that had a butterfly and flowers on it was taken down. I also remember to this day seeing a pack of purple-highlighted, translucent coyotes running up the staircase while I was wide awake one night and trying to cross the staircase to go to my parents' room. It was so vivid at the time, I knew they weren't alive, but they were so vivid. I was terrified of coyotes for years after that.

Some things I remember because they were traumatic. I think that Anna remembers, too. Some things you can't erase, like a mom. My mom had a twin sister who loved me like a mom, and I will never forget her or what she did for me. She was the one I'd cry for when I was scared, terrified, sick or lonely. And I remember what it felt like to be hugged by her. I think Anna remembers those kinds of things, too.

Dateline NBNC just recently ran a segment titked "The Girl Who Didn't Exist", the story of a 4-year-old girl kidnapped in 1973 and her efforts to find the family that she could barely remember. The age and timeframe match Anna's story closely. This woman is not Anna, but it gives some insight of what Anna may be experiencing and gives us hope that our theories are plausible.

The link to watch the segment:

msnbc.com Video Player

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221