What Is the Defense Strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you kindly all for the great discussion. I am going to follow Logicalgirl's example and :countsheep:

Have a great weekend, folks!

Casey being the most classid "narcissist" in existence would not like to have a mental defect, not at all.

Did somebody say the jury will say NG of 1st degree??

PTSD is a mental illness and can be an Axis I. Takes a long time to diagnose since so many symptoms fit other categories. To my kge, it doesn't occur instantly but takes time to develop or recognize. It is subjective. IMO, it will not fly in this case. Are they now saying they are going to a Psychiatric Defense or is this simply a discussion for possibility?
No. They are still claiming she is innocent, but will likely claim PTSD for the coverup after the 'accident'.

Nite, Painter..good to see you tonight. Thanks for the lively convo. Sleep well..

No. They are still claiming she is innocent, but will likely claim PTSD for the coverup after the 'accident'.

How in the world are they going to bring in "accident"? I suppose they can state it in summary...but any witness would be clobbered with that. I just don't see it working. Why bring it up at a first degree murder trial? In fact, they shouldn't even present a defense; they should just "Rest". Of course we have Baez's ego at stake, so I suppose Logic won't play into this. :banghead:

PTSD is a mental illness and can be an Axis I. Takes a long time to diagnose since so many symptoms fit other categories. To my kge, it doesn't occur instantly but takes time to develop or recognize. It is subjective. IMO, it will not fly in this case. Are they now saying they are going to a Psychiatric Defense or is this simply a discussion for possibility?

It was a discussion in the hearing last Thursday. They are trying to introduce a new witness, Dr. Weiss [sp] , who is an expert in PTSD. Baez said it was NOT mental diminishment, but a question of her 'state of mind.'

I'm wondering if the SA can show there really wasn't much of a change in her behavior once Caylee was dead except that she no longer had to go back to the Anthony home to care for her child. Did her behavior change after the fact? I thought it was pretty much the same.....

Your right. SHe has been telling outrageous lies for years as well as steeling money. I think THIS is where the sexual abuse story kicks in. Another PTSD event. :banghead:

It was a discussion in the hearing last Thursday. They are trying to introduce a new witness, Dr. Weiss [sp] , who is an expert in PTSD. Baez said it was NOT mental diminishment, but a question of her 'state of mind.'

Casey would 'flip out" at any reference to herself being anything less than perfect, so Baez has to go this route to please the princess? :floorlaugh:

Well....here it comes. This must be the loophole that CM saw that made him enter the case. He recruited Anne F. They lined these Dr's up, refused to disclose the names of penalty witnesses, refused to deliver reports. Now comes the switch...penalty witness now becomes guilt witness. KC didn't kill Caylee. She suffered severe trauma when Caylee accidently died because she loved Caylee so much. That extreme love was so strong that KC couldn't deal. KC deserves to be MOTY for such love. KC is just as much a victim of these tragic circs as Caylee is. Now everyone understands. This is the Ah Ha! moment that Mr Baez promised. The state cannot punish a grieving mother for trying to protect her family from the horrible news of the accidental death of their beloved gdaughter /neice.

Some jurors will buy into it and KC might just well walk out of jail on CM's arm having served enough time. After all, she has been punished enough by the loss of such a beautiful child.

It is actually quite brilliant. It explains away 31 days, duct tape, leaving the body in the trunk, tossing Caylee, parties, lying with different men and lying with every word, her cold attitude.... absolutely everything.

With a little treatment for PTSD, a few pills, a Dr's favourable report, early release .....a free pass!
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

But JB said that 2 years ago! It'll be interesting to see how they explain they just received this opinion last Saturday!

I want to know if Cindy and George are in on this whole "Casey was severly abused" (sexually, emotionally, mentally) or is this going to be sprung on them at the trial?

It is one thing for them to know about this in advance and that they fully expect to be accused of these things and are willing to take one for the team in order to save Casey... that is just what they do.

It is a completely different thing if they really don't see this coming (many people on this forum have warned them though!). I can not even imagine what will happen if they are being openly accused of things they are not willing to go down for.

I could see Jose doing this to them though. Cindy, George and Lee have all had very choice words for Jose and we all know how personally he takes this and he does seem to hold a grudge. I just don't know if it is such a good idea to make the only people in this world who are willing to lie for Casey Anthony mad? We've all seen how vindictive George and Cindy can be when you are not on "their team."

This is going to be very, very bad. I don't know if I can watch this happen? Who am I kidding? I'll be watching every second!)Trust me, I can't stand the Anthony's... but this is really, really low if they are going to be sabotaged at the trial.

I also don't know if this is even a good stradegy for the defense to use? Casey will love every minute of her parents being destroyed on that stand... the girl can't help having a sense of extreme satisfaction watching her parents being tortured. A jury may just not see Casey as the victim in this... but a cold, cunning, heartless girl who would do anything to destroy every part of her family.

This is going to get really ugly!!

How in the world are they going to bring in "accident"? I suppose they can state it in summary...but any witness would be clobbered with that. I just don't see it working. Why bring it up at a first degree murder trial? In fact, they shouldn't even present a defense; they should just "Rest". Of course we have Baez's ego at stake, so I suppose Logic won't play into this. :banghead:

Good question, how the hail WILL they bring in the 'it was an accident' part? Will she take the stand? Can the doctors just say she admitted that to them? Can Baez say she admitted that to him? No idea how that will play out.

Anyone recall Cindy Anthony talking about swimming with Caylee while Casey watched on the night of the 15th? Cindy said she handed Caylee to Casey when they were getting out. Are they still discussing that or did that statement go under the radar?

Is the trial going to take place in Orlando?

Yes, the trial will be held in Orlando. The jury will be brought in from a different county in Florida. We don't know from which county! I am sure the potential jurors will be getting their jury duty notices starting next week or the week after.

Yep, Pip, can't see yet how they will bring in "accident". SA will yell "Objection" and it will be upheld. I just don't think they have ANY defense..nilch. They are planning to spend all the money on the sentencing part.

Thanks Lola for the jury thing..now I remember. I am out of "thanks" buttons.

PTSD would explain the not reporting. She wanted to protect her family. She was suffering such trauma, her state of mind was altered. PTSD has many symptoms.

ETA

What are PTSD symptoms and signs?

The following three groups of symptom criteria are required to assign the diagnosis of PTSD:

•Recurrent re-experiencing of the trauma (for example, troublesome memories, flashbacks that are usually caused by reminders of the traumatic events, recurring nightmares about the trauma and/or dissociative reliving of the trauma)

•Avoidance to the point of having a phobia of places, people, and experiences that remind the sufferer of the trauma or a general numbing of emotional responsiveness

•Chronic physical signs of hyperarousal, including sleep problems, trouble concentrating, irritability, anger, poor concentration, blackouts or difficulty remembering things, increased tendency and reaction to being startled, and hypervigilance (excessive watchfulness) to threat
The emotional numbing of PTSD may present as a lack of interest in activities that used to be enjoyed (anhedonia), emotional deadness, distancing oneself from people, and/or a sense of a foreshortened future (for example, not being able to think about the future or make future plans, not believing one will live much longer).
At least one re-experiencing symptom, three avoidance/numbing symptoms, and two hyperarousal symptoms must be present for at least one month and must cause significant distress or functional impairment in order for the diagnosis of PTSD to be assigned. PTSD is considered of chronic duration if it persists for three months or more.

BBM in red...sounds like descriptions of KC. changing men, no sleep, anger in calls to her parents, always texting, talking, not caring if Amy discovered her stealing, planning/living for 10 minutes at a time.

http://www.medicinenet.com/posttraumatic_stress_disorder/page4.htm

Thank you, Paintr, for finding such a useful, concise description for us. This sounds like it would be a perfect "fit" for the defense team to use. And I agree with katydid that they will have to use something in her childhood (her alleged sexual abuse) as the point of onset. Otherwise, there wasn't enough difference between her behavior from before and after Caylee's death.

If the defense uses this dx as their excuse for Casey's behavior, can you imagine how proud Casey will be to share the same dx as thousands of our young war heros? And the impact it could have on their morale? Can they possibly get any lower?

Oh poop, just grab one of JB and Casey's colored pencils and color me inflamed! :furious::furious::furious::furious:

PTSD will not fly, imo. She has absolutely NO defense. I think they are saving this for the guilty phase and sentencing. There is no excuse for what she did except pure evil and selfishness. I expect ms A to be mighty peeved during the trial when the SA starts talking about it too.

Mr. Baez will try to get as many hispanic jurors as possible because he believes he has a closeness to them. I am calling on the Gods for Divine Intervention on that point to surpise him.

Wouldn't PTSD be considered diminished capacity more than just "state of mind" though?

PTSD can cover almost anything they want it to. It is a very broad diagnosis. It is not diminished capacity necessarily, unless they want it to be...my guess is Casey will execpt nothing that indicated diminished. IMO, PTSD has more of an anxiety componeent than anything else. Many criminals try to use it to explain crimes, even child molestation.

Casey could also fit the Bipolar and the Borderline DX. I expect she didn't like either of those. LOL, so Baez took this one to please her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon