Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Sociopathic, Psychopathic or Just Plain Evil

Votes: 65 22.6%
  • Combination of All or Some of the Above

Votes: 181 63.1%
  • Other

Votes: 19 6.6%

• Total voters
Huckaby's family appeared on The Today Show this morning. An expert characterizes Huckaby as a psychopath. Huckaby's family members share their opinions about Huckaby's history and psychological problems:

[ame="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/38054548#38054548"]Today Show Video Player[/ame]

why is munchauzins by proxy (sp) on that list? this crime has no symptoms of that at all

I voted Other. Im getting da.....ed sick and tired of hearing all these fancy medical words for every person that commits crimes.
Excuses are not acceptable in my book. Do the crime, do the time.

We were all given will power and call it what we may. Accepting responsibility seems to be lacking more and more.

In this article, the authorities are positing that huckaby has some form of Munchausen's and may have actually assaulted and murdered little Sandra in a bizarre bid for attention, possibly as the one who "solved" the case by finding the note and making the connection with her "stolen" suitcase. They point out that hucakby's daughter indeed was often sick and in the hospital, way more than she should have been and that huckaby was likely making her sick. They also point to huckaby's history of inflicting injuries on herself, which is common with Munchausen by proxy people. So are, IMO, creating stories that center on yourself, like being raped, attacked and, setting fires, all of which I think this nut did.
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20397416,00.html
I have always thought she had a Munchausen's aspect to her. No matter. She raped and killed a little girl. The reason, although interesting to people like me who want to know what makes criminals tick, is trumped by the act.

I just don't buy that when it comes to MH.

Imo, she is just like any other pedophile who gets gratification by making the victim suffer.

And my heart just broke when I read the transcripts of what happened. LE sure had her in their radar screen right of the bat.

I believe she fully intended to do this to the first little victim she drugged. Thank goodness that attempt was thwarted.

imo

Thank God LE was able to stop her before she murdered another little child!

I'm afraid that MH is in a somewhat new category of sexual sadists that we have not seen or heard of much yet, but will see more of in the future. I fear that we will see a flurry of female serial killers and, because they are the easiest prey, they will be children.

Female serial killers are very rare, but we have seen some in the past. I believe that MH was a strong potential for this, and it's downright frightening!

She really is deranged
Why did they let her teach Sunday school with so many mental problems ? I do not understand that . The children trusted her which scares me even more .
Seeing the tape of Sandra skipping haunts me .
Poor baby .

This is on Deadly Women tonight ..
Looking forward to Candice DeLong's take on her.

Candice says she was testing for 2 months on diff people with meds to see their affect .

The FBI feel the sexual assault on poor Sandra was to make LE think it was a man perp while Candice feels the murder was to cover the sexaul assault . I am thinking a little of both .

The latest statistics on child sexual abuse state that 40% of reported abusers are adult females.

With this in mind, I think Melissa Huckaby has several compelling factors which caused her to murder Sandra:

1) Sandra competed for the attention of her own little girl- Jealousy.

2) Melissa is said to have a compulsion for watching true crime TV shows.

3) She IS the type who inserted herself into the investigation early on-- the reporting of the Eddie Bauer suitcase being missing, the searching she did and the offers to LE to search. This does suggest Munchausen's By Proxy-- probably a variant.

4) There is a possibility in my mind that Melissa was repeating a form of abuse ( short of murder, of course) that had been perpetrated upon her at some point in her life. I do not know, I doubt we ever know, but I do wonder if there is a type of psychosexual " undoing" present, especially with the setting being her grandfather's church.

5) Melissa Huckaby is least Bi-polar disordered and was not compliant with her medication and psychotherapy. I think she is also a psychopath. (Clinical definition- Anti-social personality disorder) She had a history of criminal behavior before the abuse and murder. Therefore, I think she is an antisocial personality type whose wrongdoing kept escalating. If she had not been caught, I think she would have continued to commit violent crimes.

So, I think there is both a clinical psychopathy element to her crime as well as the fact that she is a very disordered thinking person whose violence escalated in a short time.

The latest statistics on child sexual abuse state that 40% of reported abusers are adult females.

With this in mind, I think Melissa Huckaby has several compelling factors which caused her to murder Sandra:

1) Sandra competed for the attention of her own little girl- Jealousy.

2) Melissa is said to have a compulsion for watching true crime TV shows.

3) She IS the type who inserted herself into the investigation early on-- the reporting of the Eddie Bauer suitcase being missing, the searching she did and the offers to LE to search. This does suggest Munchausen's By Proxy-- probably a variant.

4) There is a possibility in my mind that Melissa was repeating a form of abuse ( short of murder, of course) that had been perpetrated upon her at some point in her life. I do not know, I doubt we ever know, but I do wonder if there is a type of psychosexual " undoing" present, especially with the setting being her grandfather's church.

5) Melissa Huckaby is least Bi-polar disordered and was not compliant with her medication and psychotherapy. I think she is also a psychopath. (Clinical definition- Anti-social personality disorder) She had a history of criminal behavior before the abuse and murder. Therefore, I think she is an antisocial personality type whose wrongdoing kept escalating. If she had not been caught, I think she would have continued to commit violent crimes.

So, I think there is both a clinical psychopathy element to her crime as well as the fact that she is a very disordered thinking person whose violence escalated in a short time.

[bbm]

that statistic scares the carp outta me - where did you read it?

#3 - I've always thought something similar
#4 - have pondered that too

I'm trying to remember her criminal history ... there was shoplifting I believe and check fraud? was there anything else?

[bbm]

that statistic scares the carp outta me - where did you read it?

#3 - I've always thought something similar
#4 - have pondered that too

I'm trying to remember her criminal history ... there was shoplifting I believe and check fraud? was there anything else?[/quote

Thank you for reading my post, first of all. :)
I read the statistic in a recent professional journal. I am a behavioral Psychologist. I do not think the journal is online, but will look for a non- proprietary article which backs up ( or refutes, either one) the statistical analysis of child sexual abusers...
This is assuming, of course, that Melissa Huckaby did commit true sexually motivated abuse upon little Sandra. Sometimes, the abuse is done to stage a male crime scene, of course. For the deferentiating behavior to have validity, the female adult abuser must have derived a personal emotion from the sexual aspects.

I'll get back to you on this ASAP. I was shocked too, and although I do not work with children or adolescents, I should have known.. but I didn't either!!

Two mitigating factors make it very hard to correctly state the number of females who are sex abusers.
1) Abuse by a female usually cannot be " rape" in the clinical sense of rape against a female child or adult. When the victim is male, the male is much less likely to report having been forced into a sexual act by a female. it is often not considered by the victim, whether male or female, to be as " harmful". But it is!

2) Likewise, traditionally, Law Enforcement have not believed victims of female sex abusers or filed complaints against females who abuse. This trend is changing. Society is learning that women are the hidden abusers, the secretive deviants among their chldren and their childrens' friends. The fact that females are sexual predators is just now gaining attention and weight in our society.It is also true that violence by women has increased greatly, including sex crimes.

From the article I just posted a link to but which apparently was removed-

"According to a major 2004 study commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education – In studies that ask students about offenders, sex differences are less than in adult reports. The 2000 AAUW data indicate that 57.2 percent of all students report a male offender and 42.4 percent a female offender with the Cameron et al. study reporting nearly identical proportions as the 2000 AAUW data (57 percent male offenders vs. 43 percent female offenders)."

MODERATORS: THIS IS THE LINK TO THE ARTICLE ABOUT FEMALES WHO ARE SEXUALLY ABUSERS, either one time or habitual. IT IS SAFE. IT IS NOT A " BLOCKED SITE". IT WAS SCANNED WITH AV SOFTWARE. BEFORE THIS LINK IS REMOVED A SECOND TIME, PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!
http://female-offenders.com/Safehouse/2010/09/toptenmythsaboutfemalesexoffenders.html

The website linked above has a section devoted to why there is such a large discrepancy in male sex abusers vs female sex abusers. Some authorities state that less than 1% of abusers are female, while others report figures in the 40% range. ( I believe the higher figure is more likely to be accurate).

http://female-offenders.com/Safehouse/

This is a site which is pro- active tor the healing of those who have been abused. It is NOT a site for pedophiles. It is pro- victim.
It is a safe site. I checked out all aspects of their pages before I posted the link. Thanks.
Maria

My layman's diagnosis:

Borderline personality disorder (She has truly classic symptoms)
Post-traumatic stress disorder
Traits of antisocial personality disorder

That's what I am thinking too. I recall she had run ins with the law, among them arson. I wonder if we were given a choice to compare Melissa Huckaby, who would she most resemble? There are not many women who kill someone else's children. Here are the ones I can think of.
Gertrude Baniszewski-Religious fanatic that likely has Paranoid, Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and traits of Borderline Personality Disorder.
Lori Drew-Social climber that likely has Borderline, Histrionic, and Narcissistic with traits of Paranoid and Antisocial Personality Disorder.
Mona Nelson-Career criminal that probably has Antisocial Personality Disorder?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back