Where is the exculpatory evidence we were promised?

I hadn't seen this thread before so just finished reading it all the way through. IMO DE is nothing more than a modern day Jim Jones and the supporters well......you know how the story ends. I find it very telling that in all this time, not one supporter has been able to answer why they didn't rush to prove their innocence, which is exactly what they said they would do once released. It is 2021 - almost 2022..............where is the evidence???

Mara Leveritt
@MaraLeveritt

Patrick Benca, an attorney for Damien Echols, said he's been advised that WMPD Chief Mike Pope resigned. Benca was in WM this morning to examine evidence in the case of the WM3, some of which was reported missing. Benca texted, "We found the ligatures. We got what we needed."
11:29 AM · Dec 21, 2021
----

Damien Echols
@damienechols

The chief of police was not truthful. He has now resigned, and we know that none of the evidence was destroyed. It can now be tested, to see who left DNA at the crime scene. My attorney was in the evidence room this morning and saw it with his own eyes. Every piece is still there
11:43 AM · Dec 21, 2021
---

reading this news sent a chill down my back. this is huge. after so many years of nothing, we might finally get an answer. not getting my hopes up because who knows just how much there is still left to test

and to think all of this evidence was just sitting in a room all these years while they lied and claimed it was destroyed. then you get the police chief resigning right as this is discovered. well isn't that something

Why wasn't this evidence presented at their trials?
Because the forensic technology they are now going to use on these items didn't exist in 1994. And that's nobody's fault whether on the defence or prosecution side, so there's no point trying to blame anyone. It's just one of those things that is what it is.

What's clear is that the victims and their families deserve justice and any innocent person accused deserves to have their name cleared. So test everything with the most up to date technology and let the chips fall where they may.

This is great news, but I feel like DE's camp only wants this evidence because they want to point the finger at TH even more than they already are -- the lawyer all but admits this in the TV interview above, when he mentions the ligatures and the TH hair. This isn't a "fact finding" mission for them; it's an "TH finding" mission. They're hoping more TH DNA shows up somehow, and that they can use it to bolster the "TH Did it" narrative. DE's camp is trying to frame it as a mission for the truth, but I feel like it's more of a mission to pin it on TH than anything.

Either way, it's great the evidence was not destroyed. I just hope that DE's camp is forthright in what findings are discovered, and admit everything. There really is no guarantee that they will, and that they would only admit what they want to admit. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm less optimistic that anything will come of this. Either we'll hear that more DNA that is consistent with TH was found (which wouldn't necessarily be a surprise, since that was already found in 93 during the original testing) or that the results are inconclusive.

This is great news, but I feel like DE's camp only wants this evidence because they want to point the finger at TH even more than they already are -- the lawyer all but admits this in the TV interview above, when he mentions the ligatures and the TH hair. This isn't a "fact finding" mission for them; it's an "TH finding" mission. They're hoping more TH DNA shows up somehow, and that they can use it to bolster the "TH Did it" narrative. DE's camp is trying to frame it as a mission for the truth, but I feel like it's more of a mission to pin it on TH than anything.

Either way, it's great the evidence was not destroyed. I just hope that DE's camp is forthright in what findings are discovered, and admit everything. There really is no guarantee that they will, and that they would only admit what they want to admit. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm less optimistic that anything will come of this. Either we'll hear that more DNA that is consistent with TH was found (which wouldn't necessarily be a surprise, since that was already found in 93 during the original testing) or that the results are inconclusive.
just curious, why do you say there's no guarantee DE's people wouldn't admit the findings of the new testing? like if it implicates them, how exactly would they keep that information hidden?

are they handing the evidence to DE's lawyer and basically saying go ahead and do what you want with it?

just curious, why do you say there's no guarantee DE's people wouldn't admit the findings of the new testing? like if it implicates them, how exactly would they keep that information hidden?

are they handing the evidence to DE's lawyer and basically saying go ahead and do what you want with it?

Because it possibly wouldn't serve the interest of their client and they are honestly not bound to do so by anyone (but their client). Obviously. The lab itself is not going to make that information public via press conferences, etc -- that isn't their job. That responsibility would fall on DE's camp.

^ And to add to this post above, DE's camp already DNA tested multiple items in 2011. They have never released their findings. If they didn't release their findings in the 10 years since the first time around, there is zero guarantee they will do so this time around.

I forgot to swing through and mention that the West Memphis Police Department finally blew up. It's only been nearly 30 years.

I'm hoping the attorneys can find enough to get some real answers for once and fire/prosecute anyone who suppressed exculpatory evidence for THIRTY YEARS!

If the WM3 are exonerated which is a possibility (and our current attorney general is both greedy and stupid) and the Alford Plea overturned, the lawsuits will be amazing.

Well, the real questions are, why did the WMPD lie and say the evidence was destroyed and also if the WM3 got away with it, got out and are guilty, then why on earth would they move heaven and earth to find and test the evidence the cops said were destroyed? Right? There ARE criminals here but it's not the WM3. It's the corruption in the WMPD that's been well documented here and also in "The Boys on the Tracks". What is the WMPD hiding? They can't be sued for damages so what is it?

I have some ideas on the topic but am curious what others think.

And it's not Damien, Jason and Jessie's JOB to prove anything. They sacrificed decades of their lives for a sham trial and a rush to judgement. Why did they take the Alford Plea? Seriously? If it were me, I would have signed a document confessing to the Lindberg kidnapping, the JFK assassination and the Zodiac killings if it meant I could be free from AK jail rather than leave my fate up to the AK justice system that spent years trying to kill me and keep me locked up while surpressing evidence of my innocence. Far easier from the outside to do ANYTHING AT ALL, let alone fight back, and why gamble again (or rot in jail several MORE years) waiting for a new trial?

NONE OF YOU can say with confidence what you would do because you've never been in that situation. Easy to say "well, I would stay in jail and fight for a new trial". No you wouldn't. You'd be a shell of your former self after 60 days locked up or probably a week. Maybe the people that say that inherently trust cops. Or courts. You shouldn't. Innocent people go to prison all the time. How can Damien's lawyers be so sure and confident that there's NOTHING in that evidence room tying them to this? Hm? Why bother? Would you, if you had done it? Would Mark Byers (RIP) want everything tested if he had done it? I'd be satisfied, had I actually done it, going "welp, guess that's that then" and smile about it.

Further, if any of these 3 were guilty of this and capable of this crime, anyone seriously think that after decades on death row and in the loving arms of the AK DoC that they got BETTER or rehabilitated in any way? More mentally healthy? Supposedly, they collectively murdered three 8 year old boys for Satan in 1993 as teenagers but they've been out for, what, 10 years now and...? They would have killed someone by now. Or gotten in a fight. Skinned a cat. Molested a kid. Hell, robbed a 7/11. Only trouble I've heard from any of them was Jessie getting a DUI or something.

They're innocent and the police have conspired to hide something. The Chief resigned over it. Why? Again, I have some ideas on the subject as to what and, for a brief time after the WM3's release, had some personal phone conversations with John Mark Byers about those theories. What do the people that believe in their guilt think? Not "to frame Terry Hobbs" but more "why would the cops say there was a fire that destroyed the evidence, get caught lying about it and the Police Chief resign over it?

Occam's Razor and all that. Someone is hiding something and it is not the WM3. I'll wait.

All we need to know is which shoelace (and which kid) did that hair come from AND if there is any other evidence connecting anyone, even any of the WM3 (the drunk triple murderers with the long hair) to the scene (there's not). If that second part happens I will eat my hat and apologize on every message board out there confessing my stupidity and naivete with an open apology to AK law enforcement and every non supporter I've argued with over 20+ years. If there's evidence on or in that lace belonging to the child that never played at a certain child's home connecting a certain someone to it then...well...I think we have our killer.

To quote the movie/book Deliverance, "let's just wait and see what comes out of the water"

Well, the real questions are, why did the WMPD lie and say the evidence was destroyed and also if the WM3 got away with it, got out and are guilty, then why on earth would they move heaven and earth to find and test the evidence the cops said were destroyed? Right? There ARE criminals here but it's not the WM3. It's the corruption in the WMPD that's been well documented here and also in "The Boys on the Tracks". What is the WMPD hiding? They can't be sued for damages so what is it?

I have some ideas on the topic but am curious what others think.

And it's not Damien, Jason and Jessie's JOB to prove anything. They sacrificed decades of their lives for a sham trial and a rush to judgement. Why did they take the Alford Plea? Seriously? If it were me, I would have signed a document confessing to the Lindberg kidnapping, the JFK assassination and the Zodiac killings if it meant I could be free from AK jail rather than leave my fate up to the AK justice system that spent years trying to kill me and keep me locked up while surpressing evidence of my innocence. Far easier from the outside to do ANYTHING AT ALL, let alone fight back, and why gamble again (or rot in jail several MORE years) waiting for a new trial?

NONE OF YOU can say with confidence what you would do because you've never been in that situation. Easy to say "well, I would stay in jail and fight for a new trial". No you wouldn't. You'd be a shell of your former self after 60 days locked up or probably a week. Maybe the people that say that inherently trust cops. Or courts. You shouldn't. Innocent people go to prison all the time. How can Damien's lawyers be so sure and confident that there's NOTHING in that evidence room tying them to this? Hm? Why bother? Would you, if you had done it? Would Mark Byers (RIP) want everything tested if he had done it? I'd be satisfied, had I actually done it, going "welp, guess that's that then" and smile about it.

Further, if any of these 3 were guilty of this and capable of this crime, anyone seriously think that after decades on death row and in the loving arms of the AK DoC that they got BETTER or rehabilitated in any way? More mentally healthy? Supposedly, they collectively murdered three 8 year old boys for Satan in 1993 as teenagers but they've been out for, what, 10 years now and...? They would have killed someone by now. Or gotten in a fight. Skinned a cat. Molested a kid. Hell, robbed a 7/11. Only trouble I've heard from any of them was Jessie getting a DUI or something.

They're innocent and the police have conspired to hide something. The Chief resigned over it. Why? Again, I have some ideas on the subject as to what and, for a brief time after the WM3's release, had some personal phone conversations with John Mark Byers about those theories. What do the people that believe in their guilt think? Not "to frame Terry Hobbs" but more "why would the cops say there was a fire that destroyed the evidence, get caught lying about it and the Police Chief resign over it?

Occam's Razor and all that. Someone is hiding something and it is not the WM3. I'll wait.

All we need to know is which shoelace (and which kid) did that hair come from AND if there is any other evidence connecting anyone, even any of the WM3 (the drunk triple murderers with the long hair) to the scene (there's not). If that second part happens I will eat my hat and apologize on every message board out there confessing my stupidity and naivete with an open apology to AK law enforcement and every non supporter I've argued with over 20+ years. If there's evidence on or in that lace belonging to the child that never played at a certain child's home connecting a certain someone to it then...well...I think we have our killer.

To quote the movie/book Deliverance, "let's just wait and see what comes out of the water"

Arkansas is AR. AK is Alaska. It's cold right now, but not that cold.

"The Boys of the Tracks" was Benton, Saline County (sw of Little Rock.). They're pretty corrupt, too. But WMPDs legacy is ... particularly horrifying, really.

I was going to get links to some of the recent shooting investigations, but I think this recent article covers the whole problem.

West Memphis mayor speaks on police chief’s resignation
By Action News 5 Staff
Published: Dec. 21, 2021 at 10:36 PM CST
WEST MEMPHIS, Ark. (WMC) - Tuesday, West Memphis Police Chief Michael Pope announced his resignation as news broke that West Memphis Three’s attorneys were viewing evidence.

West Memphis Mayor Marco McClendon had strong words that his top cop was resigning for reasons that had nothing to do with the case.

The mayor did not say why Pope resigned less than six months after taking the helm. When asked about comments by an acting prosecutor back in 2011 that the West Memphis Three case evidence was destroyed in a fire, McClendon said that had nothing to do with the city and was way before their time.

“Chief Pope had absolutely nothing to do with the West Memphis Three,” said McClendon. “I don’t think he probably even knows the name of the victims, as well as all their names. So, for them to have added him into that, it’s grossly untrue. I mean, I love Chief Pope. I think he’s a great individual. He did a wonderful job for our city. I wish him luck in his future endeavors.”

The police department has not said who will take over as chief or when the succession will take place.
West Memphis mayor speaks on police chief’s resignation

BBM. Why the freak not?! Seriously!

ETA: Your town is famous for ONE thing. You better know about it, especially if you are in local government. I get the feeling the Mayor doesn't know Stevie, Mike, and Chris' names either.

^ And to add to this post above, DE's camp already DNA tested multiple items in 2011. They have never released their findings. If they didn't release their findings in the 10 years since the first time around, there is zero guarantee they will do so this time around.

I will be surprised if we ever hear anything about the private lab's results. There's a glaring reason we won't.

I will be surprised if we ever hear anything about the private lab's results. There's a glaring reason we won't.

At this point, I just want this case solved.

If it turns out they did do it, they will have to face their maker in the next life.

If it turns out they didn't do it, I hope whoever did gets held accountable and justice prevails.

Jmo

Case was solved. Some don't like or want to believe the solution. Doesn't change the facts. That's my opinion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back