Who was George Brody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well another input of my this previous post part:
I found that Patrica Kauffman , that I suspected of to be Goldie Bradshaw, and that had a baby girl Beverly Gober, well she was in Oakland! :clap:
In 1928 she is listed as:
Gober mrs Goldie 537 3rd st, housewife... no husband mentioned...
no more... only 1 time in 1928.....
but is she Goldie Bradshaw, married to ..Gober; in 1930 she married at Albert Kauffman and becoming Patrica (patricia?)Kauffman

so GWB could be our bad guy....

and abt:

It is very correct, because Beverley, niece of GWB was born just the 24 Aug .. see here

raf

Isn't August 24th the date of birth our GB used?

My dears!
Now I have the certainty that George W Bradshaw seaman is the same George W Bradshaw born in 25 August 1907 in Oroville, Butte, CA... I read all ship's manifests and analyzed one for one, well, finally :

California Passenger and Crew Lists, 1893-1957 about George W Bradshaw
Name: George W Bradshaw
Arrival Date: 31 Jan 1952

Birthplace: Oroville
Ethnicity: USA (American)

Ship Name: Cotton State
Port of Arrival: San Francisco, California
Port of Departure: Yawata; Japan

After the first travel in Canada of 4 May 1929
I found so much other trips....

...snipped for space

Did anyone else notice the Canadian Immigration record link above that GWB was denied?

...snipped for space

Did anyone else notice the Canadian Immigration record link above that GWB was denied?

Yes, I did. I noticed he was denied entry to Cdn.,Windsor On entry.... father Police..something.. I have to take another peek.

Re; WWII tankers
Merchant navy records are very detailed and have photos on them, are they available in the US?

they have the ship's photos, but not of seamen ....
raf

The national archives in the UK have paper records from the late 1800s, with photos of all British merchant seamen(i'm hoping of transient seamen too), if GWB was in southampton i'm hopng there maybe some record. Is the leviathian the cunard vessel, sometimes records can be with the shipping company. My uncle was a ships captain will ask him for tips on finding more info.

Hi Anne,
the travel was:
Leviathan ship
arrival: 26 Jun 1929 New York, New York, USA
departure: Southampton, England and Cherbourg, France
I have the ship's manifest...
hugs,
raf

PS: frankly, I know not if this George W Bradshaw could be George Brody; it is only a my suggestion.. and until now, no proof abt that..I receveid the reply from grandniece of GWB, finally, she no receveid my first emails... I sent the GB pictures, maybe the her mother can say us if it are some resemblance in some way with Bradshaw family members...

Hi Anne,
the travel was:
Leviathan ship
arrival: 26 Jun 1929 New York, New York, USA
departure: Southampton, England and Cherbourg, France
I have the ship's manifest...
hugs,
raf

PS: frankly, I know not if this George W Bradshaw could be George Brody; it is only a my suggestion.. and until now, no proof abt that..I receveid the reply from grandniece of GWB, finally, she no receveid my first emails... I sent the GB pictures, maybe the her mother can say us if it are some resemblance in some way with Bradshaw family members...

....Just thinking: Would GWB have needed a passport for these ship trips? Would the USA Passport Agency have a photo on file?

I have a researcher checking Marysville Grammar school for us. She is looking for class photos of GWB and/or any of the other siblings. Hopefully next week she will have come up with something.
Fingers Crossed!

I have a researcher checking Marysville Grammar school for us. She is looking for class photos of GWB and/or any of the other siblings. Hopefully next week she will have come up with something.
Fingers Crossed!
excellent idea SideKick !!!
all the best,
raf

....Just thinking: Would GWB have needed a passport for these ship trips? Would the USA Passport Agency have a photo on file?
the passport (Merchant Mariner's Document -MMD), was called Z-card:
" The Merchant Mariner's Document (MMD), previously called a Z-Card, is a kind of Merchant Mariner Credential issued by the United States Coast Guard in accordance with the STCW guidelines, and is the standard documentation required for all crewmembers of U.S. ships with a Gross Register Tonnage of over 100. An entry-level MMD allows one to work on the deck as an Ordinary Seamen (OS), in the engine department as a Wiper, or in the steward's department as a Food Handler (FH). With experience and testing, qualified ratings such as Able Seaman (AB) or Qualified Member of the Engine Department (QMED) can be obtained.

The document is the size of a driver's license, and contains the sailor's information regarding date of birth, the location of issue, nationality, and the shipboard duties he or she is qualified for. Crewmen on any vessel over 100 gross tons are required to have one by United States law.

The documents were created shortly after World War II ended in 1945 to maintain security in ports around the world when sabotage was still a major concern. Today, the document still serves this purpose, and is regarded as a proof of identity as well as a passport when a sailor is in a foreign country. The document must be renewed every five years, and is obtainable by applying at any of the 17 United States Coast Guard Regional Examination Centers in the United States...."
source
I am informed that for obtain a copy needing of death certificate of seaman; but in our case, if GB was born as GWB we cannot obtain a death certificate...
In all ancestry.com it are not a GWB death record...
raf

the ship's was:
Ship name
California
California
Cities Service Fuel
Cities Service Fuel
Cities Service Fuel
Leviathan
Leviathan
Leviathan
H D Collier
KR Kingsbury
WS Rheem
WS Rheem
John Mclean
Bidwell
Bidwell
Red Canyon
James B Bonham
Ethiopia Victory
Ethiopia Victory
Jacob A Westervelt
Horace Greeley
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
Cotton State
Mohawk
Battle Mountain
Battle Mountain
Green Mountain State
Clarkes Wharf
Rock Landing

just one needing of to confirm ( Bidwell).... but it is not important....
we can cross Bidwell ship, because I enlarged the ship's manifest and the name appearing George M Bradshaw and not George W Bradshaw... but is not important, because we have the right ship's manifest with right name, birthdate and birthplace... the other ship's names are correct...
raf

The records for merchant marine/navy are at London and on micro-fiche, there are some records at cherbourg which might be usful but again not accessible on the web (horrid micro-fiche again), I'm in the south-west of france so they not near me. I'll try finding photos of the crew of the Leviathan on-line, you never know!
Just a thought on the last residence of JWB father in Marysville, its a 4 bed-roomed house (built in 1910) on his death the estate may have been shared between the surviving off-spring.

Hi Anne, the GWB travel on Leviathan was when the Leviathan had US owner... I believe impossible that it are something abt US seaman in foreign countries.... maybe in some old newspapers... it could be...
raf

Originally Posted by raf
My dears!
Now I have the certainty that George W Bradshaw seaman is the same George W Bradshaw born in 25 August 1907 in Oroville, Butte, CA... I read all ship's manifests and analyzed one for one, well, finally :

California Passenger and Crew Lists, 1893-1957 about George W Bradshaw

After the first travel in Canada of 4 May 1929
I found so much other trips....

well I have a idea: in the ship's manifest

http://s5.imagestime.com/out.php/i373365_GeorgeWbradshaw1907oroville55150.jpg
it are many seamen listed, with birthdate and birthplace; seeming, for exemple, that the

Walter McMullan is living, because I no found the death record by SSDI, but I found the birth:
California Birth Index, 1905-1995
about Walter McMullen
Name: Walter McMullen
Birth Date: 14 Dec 1925
Mother's Maiden Name: Mitchell
Birth County: Tehama

the birthdate matching with birthdate on the ship's manifest, so must be he... I believe that could be very helpful, to find where he is resident currently, and making so for all seamen listed and living, born around 1920/30 abt, and to contact if they recognizing the man in the picture (George Brody picture with glass; this photo was made around 1952/5) as GWB... the 1952 travel is no much far in the time, and some seamen colud be living.... as Walter J McMullen... finding the phone number.... if someone can make a search abt the young seamen in this ship's manifest, if living.. and maybe contact abt that....
any suggestion could be helpful,
all the best,
raf

Hi All. Is anyone else a member of footnote? Lots of info on there. There's a couple of GB's that I would like some of you GB experts to look at. Let me know if you are interested but not a member. I can pass on the info. I work full time, so give me 48 hours to reply. Thanks

The GBs on footnote are abt the same on ancestry.com..

Hi Annasmom, please say me, with precision the birth town -in Philippines islands-of George Henry Waters
California Death Index, 1940-1997 about George Henry Waters
Name: George Henry Waters
Social Security #: 116303625
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 14 Apr 1939
Birthplace: Philippines
Death Date: 7 Jan 1982
Death Place: San Francisco
Mother's Maiden Name: Martin
seeming to me that was born in Manila... it is possible??
Thank you,
raf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members