Whole Foods Opens In Detroit

This sounds exactly like the type of clientele of Whole Foods. Rich, yuppies who want to eat healthy. I love Whole Foods. I buy what I can there, but not a whole shopping trip. I wish I could afford to shop more there. When I was pregnant, my husband did let me get more organic produce there.

You might have a point. Besides the new store in mid-town Detroit, there are five other Whole Foods in Michigan: two in Ann Arbor (University of Michigan, medical centers, etc.) and three in Oakland County (wealthiest county in the state).

When DH and I belonged to a small private gym, I stopped at Whole Foods on my way home from my workouts. WF was the first place that I found quinoa, faro, Marcona almonds, and some other products that I'd never seen elsewhere. It's easy to find quinoa and faro in other markets now, but I have never seen those fabulous Spanish almonds anywhere but WF :)

I carefully couched my comments about the high prices so that those who might want to shop there aren't discouraged ;) That said, DH and I call it "Whole Paycheck" because most of the prices - especially organic produce - are outrageous. Talk about sticker shock :eek:

BBM

This is what we call it too!!

About 7 1/2 years ago, Whole Foods opened its first store in my city. It was quite the giddy party during the grand opening. We made it a family event and had a blast noshing on all the free samples & browsing the aisles, gazing in awe at all the wondrous products and chatting with fellow shoppers.

The olive bar (oooh - the heady fragrance of marinated olives) situated next to the cheese section (swoon-inducing) adjacent to the wine department was a brilliant product merchandizing decision. It was nigh impossible to pass through that section of the store without filling one's basket with delectable goodies. In yesteryear, I was a fashion merchandiser (and am aware of all the tricks of the trade), but still succumbed to the irresistible magic of it all. Who can resist marinated olives, a wedge of brie, and a bottle of Sangiovese?

Also, at that time, organic grass-fed beef & free-range poultry weren't widely available in typical grocery stores. Whole Foods was the go-to store for those items.

In the beginning, my health-conscious friends & I all shopped there for the first few years, because we were willing to pay higher prices for organic items that we couldn't find at other grocery stores. Then, when other grocery stores began offering organic produce & meat, olive bars, and a gourmet cheese selection (as well as other organic items) at lower or comparable prices, the prices at Whole Foods gradually went through the roof with their new/improved campaign of so-called *locally grown/seasonal* produce (locally grown meaning California and Mexico, despite the fact that my local Whole Foods store is in neither of those places).

The nickname "whole paycheck" is a well-deserved nickname, IMO.

I live in an affluent city, but I don't personally know anyone who regularly shops at Whole Foods these days, since we can find similar items for lower prices at other stores. Obviously, plenty of other folks still shop there and the store is thriving (in addition to several other stores that have opened in the greater area).

I will say this, though, I love their bakery. My family still occasionally buys cakes at Whole Foods. Not only are their cakes gorgeous, but they're DEElish with a capital D. I :heartbeat: cake.

The cost of living is very high where I live. My friends & I like to eat well, but we also know how to make that happen without annihilating the budget. With the availability of affordable, healthy, organic foods at other grocery stores, Whole Foods is no longer necessary to many folks here.

I think *image* is important to a lot of folks (in my area) who currently shop there. Whole Foods seems to have evolved (or devolved, depending on one's perception) into a status symbol, much like designer couture - sending a message that one can supposedly afford the designer duds (or the so-called *designer* groceries, as it were).

I have no use for status symbols. I'd rather spend my money on more useful, less pretentious things (or save my money - what a concept :eek: ).

...The olive bar (oooh - the heady fragrance of marinated olives) situated next to the cheese section (swoon-inducing) adjacent to the wine department was a brilliant product merchandizing decision. It was nigh impossible to pass through that section of the store without filling one's basket with delectable goodies. In yesteryear, I was a fashion merchandiser (and am aware of all the tricks of the trade), but still succumbed to the irresistible magic of it all. Who can resist marinated olives, a wedge of brie, and a bottle of Sangiovese? ...

:blushing: :floorlaugh: :angel: :lol: You don't know how many times I stopped at Whole Foods after a trip to the gym and filled my basket with the exact items that you mentioned: A chunk of cheese, a selection of olives, a bottle of wine, and some of the those delightful WF crostinis (my faves are rosemary and sea salt). Life is good :)

Illnesses prompt wide Whole Foods cheese recall

Whole Foods says cheese may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes

Published On: Jul 05 2013 10:12:57 PM EDT Updated On: Jul 05 2013 11:41:29 PM EDT

NEW YORK -
Whole Foods Market Inc. is recalling Crave Brothers Les Freres cheese in response to an outbreak of a bacterial infection that has sickened people in several states and killed at least one person.

Whole Foods says the cheese may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. It was sold in 30 states and Washington D.C. under names including Les Freres and Crave Brothers Les Freres...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifes...call/-/2300442/20858952/-/eomn3o/-/index.html

That is great that a supermarket with fresh produce is in that location now. I just don't see how the residents will afford to shop there however. People making a household income of 75,000 consider it to be extremely expensive and there are many residents in this area that make much less than that. I love whole foods. I have to eat no preservatives and organic because I have horrible migraines. It is a pain in be *ss to find any food that wasn't made to withstand an atomic bomb at my local grocer. There are no whole foods within a hour from me and we live near to the lake area with very rich people but its still considered an area where whole foods wouldn't do well... So how the heck are the going to make it in Detroit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, groceries are also priced by region (whatever the market will bear, I guess), so I wouldn't be shocked if the Detroit store has less in the way of wild caught sockeye salmon, and more in the way of "moderately organic chicken thighs", and prices everything else down a bit accordingly. I get the sense this store is a PR move, so it's probably considered a loss leader anyway.

(Not to sound overly cynical--I'm glad they did it. Why are we letting one of our cities turn into "Escape From New York?")

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back