Whose gotten burned on e-bay?

Fulton did you contact ebay? Your local law enforcement? Also how about the State Attorney Generals office for internet fraud? I sure do feel bad for you. Makes a person sick, that you work hard for your money & some SOB gets away scamming you out of it. Good luck!

You would think after reading this thread over the past week that I would be just a little wiser - alas, NOT. i recently purchased a LV purse on ebay - the seller had 100% for feeback and i read thru everything carefully - all purses previously were authentic, quick shipping, etc. well, the seller only accepted money orders - so off mine went for several hundred dollars and guess not - the seller is no longer a registered user on ebay and big surprise - no answer to my emails. boy, do i feel stupid.

OK everyone... repeat after me:

Always pay via Paypal using a credit card.

Its not a 100% guarantee but it does afford some protection. According to the fair credit act of the USA, you do not have to pay a charge while you are in the process of disputing it. If you are paying by a money order, check, or cash, you might as well kiss that money goodbye if the seller cashes it and is unscrupulous. With PayPal, there's a record of where your money went for possible legal action later.

LondonPI: Is it possible to stop payment on the money order? If you can, then DO IT ASAP.

too late for stopping payment - seller emailed me that she SHIPPED the purse. i therefore waited 11 days only to find she seemed to disappear. i have ALWAYS used paypal and this is the first time i ever got a money order. i think i learned a valuable lesson and i am PO'd by it!

The absolute golden rule of eBay is to never click on a link sent via e mail. eBay will never ask you to log on via a link they send you, they ALWAYS tell you to log on via the website. That e mail you got is a scam and the link does not take you to eBay. At one point I was getting about 10 of those e mails a day! Legitimate eBay mails will also always use your full name, not just "Dear eBay user". My advice is to ignore it or forward it as is to spoof@ebay.com.

Wolfpack Fan said:
I'm glad I found this thread. I bought a few small items on Ebay back in the late 90s--things like an NC State Cheerleader Barbie and some Barbie veterinarian clothes. I may have bought one or two other things, but that's all I can remember. I have NEVER sold anything there. I haven't used Ebay since the late 90s or early 2000. Over the past few months, I have received some Ebay emails, but I wouldn't dare click on the links because I couldn't tell if they were legitimate. This morning I received this email:

"We regret to inform you that your eBay account has been suspended due
to concerns we have for the safety and integrity of the eBay community.

As we state in the User Agreement, Section 8, we may immediately issue
a warning, suspend, or terminate your membership and refuse to provide
our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause legal
liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if you
have breached the User Agreement or if we are unable to verify or
authenticate any information you provide to us.

If you feel you have been suspended in error or want to appeal this decision
by providing additional information, please click here :

https://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&UsingSSL=1

Due to the suspension of this account, please note that you are
prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new
account.

Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your
obligation to pay any fees you may currently owe to eBay.

Regards,

eBay Trust and Safety"

I went to the eBay site and tried to send an email. I had forgotten my username and password. When it sent me my username, I know that is not the one that I used. Then when I tried to send the email, it wouldn't let me get on because I was suspended from using the site. My son finally found some page where I could send an email. I explained how I hadn't used Ebay in years and that I had never sold anything there. That page said that it might take 24-48 hours before I got a reply. Do you think someone has been using my name and email address to get money out of people?

Subject: Account Review Department-Unauthorized access

Security Measures

"Our systems detected your user ID being used in Europe."

Dear member

Our systems detected your user ID being used in Europe. At the moment we are trying to trace and resolve the provenience of this matter, so please get involved in helping us trace these bruteforcing attempts. Use the link below to access our mainframe database and confirm the information we have on file for your account.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/...... (etc.)

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporarily suspend your account.

If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of PayPal policy to represent oneself as another member. PayPal is committed in assisting law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that impersonators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law..

Thank you for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

If I recall correctly, https addys are supposed to be GOOD! I'm going to forward this to spoof@paypal.com.

Anyway, the https addy redirects to this: http://securitypaypal.us/webscr.php?cmd=LogIn

and you have to enter your username and password! Oh, sure! LOL! I get SO tired of these things. The first couple of times, it scared the daylights out of me. It's sad that there are so many dishonest people in the world.

Definitely a fake, three easy ways to tell - 1.the link included in the message (Paypal, like eBay will never put in a link). 2. Spelling mistakes - the real companies won't make them - what on earth does this mean - "provenience"?? 2. As in my post above, the real company will use your NAME. This e mail is addressed to "Dear Member".

Hi, I am a longtime seller and buyer on ebay (since 1998) and I agree with everything you said except one. Leaving feedback as soon as a buyer pays isn't a good idea. Waiting until the end of the transaction when you know that everything is fine and the buyer is satisfied is the time to leave that positive. Just because the buyer paid doesn't mean that they aren't going to cause you problems down the road. I would *never* leave retalitory feedback... I have only received one negative in over 1200 transactions.

The buyer bought an Out of Print book from me and it was so old that it had the ordering info in it. He was mad that he paid a little more than the "reorder amount". LOL. He thought I had ripped him off by charging him more than the "purchase price". Kind of like if you buy an old comic book with the 10 cent price on it, and you get mad because you had to pay more than 10 cents. He thought he could order this book... anyway, that was way back in 1999. I didn't leave him a negative back. I left him a positive because he paid fast. I also explained to him that he would only be able to purchase that book on the secondary market...not new from the publisher.

But, I've heard horror stories of buyers. Best to wait until the entire transaction is complete before leaving feedback...and this goes for seller and buyer. But, everyone has their own way of doing things.

I enjoyed reading your detailed explanation of buying on Ebay. Thanks.

Candlelight said:
I was on eBay way back when you had to mail a check to your seller.. everyone had access to your info.. but we trusted each other, and my bank account remained safe, I was never phoned by a crank, and most of all, we interacted through Email and snail mail.

eBay is probably BETTER now than it was 7 years ago, but it is not personable at all unless you take the time to make it so. If you pay by PayPal, chances are, you will never even know your seller's address, and if they registered with a business Paypal account, you won't even know their names.

There are some steps to successful eBay trading. If no one minds, I will share what has saved my butt a few times.

1) READ the FB for either your seller, or your bidders. If you are a seller and you don't want deadbeats, add a sentence to your auction stating: " I reserve the right to cancel bids from any bidder with less than 10 positive FB as a buyer( or however you want to word it). No buyers with (private) FB. Do not bid if you have more than 2 negative FBs in the past 12 months". You set the limits on who you want to do business with, and enforce it. I have cancelled MANY bids because of new users who didn't read my one sentence bidding terms. If what you are selling is a good product, then it will sell. You can also report people who bid on your auction against your rules, and they may be suspended. If the person who doesn't meet your criteria uses BIN or otherwise bids late and wins, you are not obligated to sell to that person.

If you are a bidder, look at the total picture of your seller. That means that you have to click on the number beside the eBay member name, and READ the FB profile. Even if the percentage is high, if they are doing a huge volume of business, they can still have 15-20 or more negs. per month. You might as well throw your money down a hole as bid on something from an iffy seller.

Also, look at the FB which the seller has left for others who have bought from them. If all they are leaving is negs or neutrals and negs, then leave them alone. You will be the next one with a red minus sign by your name.
There is NOTHING on eBay today which won't be there again. The price may be a bit higher, but like they say:"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". A lower price is no substitute for first quality items, even if used.

2) Join Square Trade. Put the Square Trade seal on your " About Me" page, even if that's all that is there. People are less likely to rip off a Square Trade member, and the Email sent to eBay by a ST member gets priority handling.
If you have a valid complaint which relates to eBay itself and not to a seller or buyer, then CALL them.
It's not easy, but here's how:

3) Dial 1-800-322-9266- This is a direct line to eBay.
WRITE THIS DOWN. They do not hand it out. It is hard to find, however I am not posting private information. eBay is a corporation. This number comes in extra handy if you are a seller and eBay is saying you haven't paid your seller fees when you have. It recently got a friend's eBay account restored, as they were not reading her emails.

4) Read the auction description as well as the seller's rules and regs. Sellers have stopped telling buyers what they are selling, because the emphasis is on getting paid. If you have a question about ANYTHING, the condition of the item, the fact that the photo is either not clear or is a copy out of a magazine ( a big no no), then Email the seller through the " Ask seller a question" option. If they don't answer, forget it.

There is nothing sold on eBay today which won't be there in a week or a month. If you are buying " Ray Ban sunglasses" and you think they may be fakes- ASK the seller if they are genuine Ray Bans. If the seller waffles on the answer, or says they don't know, don't bid.Selling counterfeit trademarked goods is a crime. Receiving counterfeit goods is a bad thing, also.

5) Make sure the shipping charges are clear. Again, this involves minimal work on the part of the potential buyer. Email the seller with your zip code and ASK. I hate it when sellers put some cutesy remark in the "Location" spot.. like " My attic". They should clearly state where they live.. Some people sell from Alaska and Hawaii, and had rather you not know that. Others are just being coy or trying to cuten up their listing. If they put the little calculator on their auction, use it. If it seems very high, Email your seller through the "Ask seller a question" option. Ask if they are sure they picked the right category as an item of that size and weight usually ships for X $. Have your facts in hand, and you probably will get a lower shipping cost in the end.

6) DON'T leave FB until you have received your item and used it. No matter what a seller says, or if they leave FB for you as soon as you pay ( which they should), wait until you or the person you bought the product or item for uses it, then proceed.

7) DON'T skip insurance. Buy it. Also, buy PayPal's insruance if it is offered. If no insurance option is listed on the auction, ask the seller before you buy. If you forgot, email and ask them before you pay.

8) If the item is not as described or is otherwise defective, get the person's contact info. Call them, or if it is a company, ask for Customer Service and state your case. Be nice, calm and friendly. REMEMBER- They also have your contact info plus your address. This is the INTERNET and that seller or buyer is a STANGER, folks. State what problems you are having. Don't call them sleazy or rip offs or you can forget it. Ask to return a defective item for a refund or replacement if you received something defective. If you received the wrong item, you need to have done some homework before you call. Look for the CORRECT item on another current or recently completed auction and do a screen capture. Print out the page. Refer to the auction when telling your seller what the problem with their green widget is.. You ordered a blue widget as in auction #543029923.
If they care, they will accept a return. I have had sellers who sent me the right item, didn't want their money back for the wrong one, AND refunded all my money. It's all in the art of the deal, so to speak. :)

9) Email your buyer within 24 hours of buying something. Give them all the info they could need: Item number, item name, tell them you are happy to have been their high bidder, that you will be paying on ____ using _____ method ( make sure it is one they accept) and give them your name and address so they can have your package ready.
PAY within 5 days, max. If you can't, then you can't afford what you are bidding on, so go on to something else. Another CD will come along. Sometimes, patience pays off big time after the middle of Jan. as people are getting rid of excess stock, unpaid layaways, unwanted Christmas gifts, and are selling something really nice because THEY need the money due to large Christmas expenses on the VISA.

10) Saved the best for last: Treat your buyer or seller exactly how you want to be treated. They are a person. Address them by their name in Email, and when you receive your item, email them and thank them if you don't have any problems.. LEAVE NICE AND APPROPRIATE FB. If you are the seller, leave + FB for those who pay you as soon as they pay you. File a NPB alert with eBay for deadbeat bidders, and leave a negative if you have done all you can do to contact the buyer. Be prepared for a retalitatory negative. Most people will be upset and leave a negative even when they were the ones who were wrong.
You can Email the seller 30 days or so after the auction if they haven't left FB for you, and ask if maybe they were busy and overlooked leaving it, saying again that you like your item and have left FB for them, etc.. but do NOT try to make anyone leave FB for you. It is against Ebay's rules.

One more thing:
Even if you broke the thing you bought the first time you used it, it's yours. I once broke an MP3 player from an electronics store the first time I used it.. Things happen. If you think there is a quality problem, the time to complain about poor quality of an item is before you use it, so you can return it unused.

eBay has many links in the " Contact us" section to ask questions about a specific auction, seller, buyer, to report problems after an auction, etc. Find the right one before you write the complaint up, and make sure you check the square to send yourself a copy.

If you follow these steps, and do not expect the sun, moon and stars for a very small price, then you should have as much fun on eBay as we always do. :) if you snipe bid only, don't expect to be the winner. It's a hit or miss system because so many other people are doing it for popular items now.

Happy shopping.
Hi, I am a longtime seller and buyer on ebay (since 1998) and I agree with everything you said except one. Leaving feedback as soon as a buyer pays isn't a good idea. Waiting until the end of the transaction when you know that everything is fine and the buyer is satisfied is the time to leave that positive. Just because the buyer paid doesn't mean that they aren't going to cause you problems down the road. I would *never* leave retalitory feedback... I have only received one negative in over 1200 transactions.

The buyer bought an Out of Print book from me and it was so old that it had the ordering info in it. He was mad that he paid a little more than the "reorder amount". LOL. He thought I had ripped him off by charging him more than the "purchase price". Kind of like if you buy an old comic book with the 10 cent price on it, and you get mad because you had to pay more than 10 cents. He thought he could order this book... anyway, that was way back in 1999. I didn't leave him a negative back. I left him a positive because he paid fast. I also explained to him that he would only be able to purchase that book on the secondary market...not new from the publisher.

But, I've heard horror stories of buyers. Best to wait until the entire transaction is complete before leaving feedback...and this goes for seller and buyer. But, everyone has their own way of doing things.

I enjoyed reading your detailed explanation of buying on Ebay. Thanks.

BirdieBoo said:
OK everyone... repeat after me:

Great advice, Birdieboo. I definitely will try to remember this. Because, sometimes I forget. :doh: In fact, I wanted to print out your colorful post as a reminder, but my printer is all out of color ink. But, when I buy new ink I am going to print this out to remind myself!

It's so "purty". LOL

Carol

puppyluv said:
For me, it's fun to try and find a bargain. Sometimes people don't know the value of what they are selling. One man's trash is another man's treasure...

Also, you can find things hard to locate anywhere else but eBay. For instance, where I work it's noisy, and I use earplugs. I dislike the free ones my employers give out. On eBay, I found a collection of 5 brand new sets of earplugs, each a different style, all in their original packaging, for .99 cents. Shipping, only a dollar.
So for 1.99 I can try out 5 different kinds and see what I like best. It was exactly what I was looking for, I was shocked to find it.

For collectors, eBay is really fun. Maybe you can find that one item to complete your collection of...whatever you collect!
Another fun thing to buy on ebay is an item that the seller has misspelled, so you get it CHEAP. But, you have to misspell it in your search, so you'll find what everyone else cannot find.

The shoes I like best and fit my feet best are only sold retail at J.C. Penney's. First, our J.C. Penney's left town a few years ago. (I still occasionally buy online from them). Second, I have found bargains of new shoes of my type and size on ebay. There aren't many, though.

I have it set up where ebay sends me an email each time this item in my size is listed on ebay. Perfect! I only buy shoes that have been worn once or never at all, and I just got a pair this week for $7.00 (including shipping), where the lady only wore them to her son's wedding. They came in the original box and when I got them, they look brand new. Of course, I'll clean and disinfect them before I wear them, but great price! Penney's charges minimum of $30, when they are on sale and that doesn't include shipping if I don't have a free shipping card (get those in the mail all the time).

I am also a seller on ebay, and my item in one particular brand is selling like hot cakes! It is only available retail at one place (not J.C. Penney's) so it, too, is a hard to find manufacturer and ebayers love them!

Well, I just got e-burned. I am on hold right now with Ebay to find out what recourse I have. I bought a camera through a dropNsell ID that had hundreds of positive feedback. I guess the owner of the camera misled them and it's not quite their fault that it is unusable, but unusable it is. I sent the seller a detailed request for a return and was denied:mad:. I sent a second polite but firm request letting them know that I would pursue a refund, however, incovenient, and they are now ignoring me. I used paypal/visa account. So I am sure somehow I will get my money back. I'll post what happens, if anything.

Well I have to wait a few days to file a dispute, but I was assured that I would be given a refund through paypal. :)

I got burned two weeks ago! I purchased Coldplay tickets for over $500 and the seller disappeared with my money! In two more days, the PayPal dispute period is up and I get a full refund.

Still bummed because I wanted to see them so badly! On a good note, I got some cute new slacks from Banana Republic that retail for $108, for $20! :D

I ordered some perfume on eBay and the seller told me her paypal was acting up and that she'd let me know when it was working again. I've tried e-mailing her numerous times and she still hasn't answered and then I come to find out she's no longer a registered user. I'm just glad I didn't send her my payment cause I'd probably have lost my money. :(

snorky said:
Well, I just got e-burned. I am on hold right now with Ebay to find out what recourse I have. I bought a camera through a dropNsell ID that had hundreds of positive feedback. I guess the owner of the camera misled them and it's not quite their fault that it is unusable, but unusable it is. I sent the seller a detailed request for a return and was denied:mad:. I sent a second polite but firm request letting them know that I would pursue a refund, however, incovenient, and they are now ignoring me. I used paypal/visa account. So I am sure somehow I will get my money back. I'll post what happens, if anything.

PayPal will email the seller. The seller has so many days to respond. If they don't respond - you win. If they do respond, they better have a good excuse - otherwise, you win. One thing good about PayPal is that do stand behind you.

Actually I think you can go in somewhere in MY EBAY and see the dispute email to the seller, etc etc etc. Try looking it up.

I sell on ebay and occasionally buy - BUYER BEWARE!!! Ya gotta remember you are buying something site unseen and quite often used - ask questions of the seller if you are all in doubt. Make sure the seller has a high feedback and pay with PayPal (wonder if they'll give me a cut now for plugging them???)

Thanks Poco! :)

I had read on this thread to always use paypal so I followed the advice. It's been two weeks since I filed my complaint and it hasn't been resolved. I will try to find out how to view the email that was sent to the seller so I can read it.

I will post later what the outcome is.

snorky said:
...It's been two weeks since I filed my complaint and it hasn't been resolved...

Does Paypal put a temporary credit back on your card until the dispute is resolved?

If not, why don't you just file the dispute with your Visa credit card company?

I recently filed two disputes with my credit card company. I just completed the dispute forms on-line and submitted it directly to the company.

They are really helpful and will handle the dispute for you. My credit card company puts the credit back onto your card while waiting for the dispute to be resolved. I'm not sure of the timeframe in which a vendor must reply to a disputed charge.

Remember to save all supporting documentation until the dispute has been resolved!

If you paid via paypal, you must go through paypal FIRST, per the paypal user agreement which everyone agrees when using paypal. If you don't find relief through that, THEN pp recommends the credit card chargeback.

Otherwise, if you just go directly to your card company, your paypal priveleges can be revoked.

BirdieBoo said:
If you paid via paypal, you must go through paypal FIRST, per the paypal user agreement which everyone agrees when using paypal. If you don't find relief through that, THEN pp recommends the credit card chargeback.

Otherwise, if you just go directly to your card company, your paypal priveleges can be revoked.
Thanks for this information. I didn't realize this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paladeer
Back