WI - 35W bridge in Minneapolis collapses!

Would the recent heat wave weaken concrete if the bridge was that old? Combined with the steady traffic weight of all the cars?
My prayers for all the people involved in this, from victims to rescue workers..

One person who was on the bridge said the heavy bumper to bumper traffic on the bridge, two lanes in either direction, was going about 10 mph at the time it collapsed--he fell 30-40 feet--he thought he was dead.

It doesn't help that we are presently spending over 12 billion a month in Iraq, and Afghanistan, and then also give billions in foreign aid, some of it even for weapons systems. Maybe we need to rethink our priorities, or better yet, have our president rethink his priorities.

Buzz....from your lips to God's ears!! I couldn't agree with you more. Our priorities are definitely not in order...imo. :(

One person who was on the bridge said the heavy bumper to bumper traffic on the bridge, two lanes in either direction, was going about 10 mph at the time it collapsed--he fell 30-40 feet--he thought he was dead.

I hate bridges - I have since I was a little girl. I can't even imagine!!! And honestly, don't want to try to. It just freaks me out. Any new updates? I'm at work and haven't had time to check the newswires.

I have been watching this whole thing develop. My suspicion brain center went into active mode of course.

News of the poor condition of our bridges certainly give special notice to any terrorists who might be watching. Osama's father was in heavy construction in Saudi Arabia. Hmmm. Wonder IF IF there is a lynch pin in this collapsed bridge. One small adjustment and boom?? er, huh?

We drove our camper over the Mackinaw Island bridge in Michigan years ago, scared the bee geebers out of me. Bridge is five miles long.

News said this MN bridge is half the length of the San Fran Bay Bridge.

News also said the adjacent bridge going the other way is looking not too good either. Sport games due so be over soon, with MORE people using the bridge areas.

I want to know the precise cause of this collapse, I have taken a chill pill about terrorism, but.

Hi Camper.....this is so sad isn't it.

I hope you are feeling better! :blowkiss:

There were cars that went straight down on the bridge span, and people survived. News crews watched them get out of the cars and walking around. Amazing!

I live in the TC. Local news contacted a construction engineer who gave his opinion on what happened.

Here's what he said: The bridge design is an arch w/o support underneath. The steel apparently gave way at one end; the girders connected the rest of the bridge, so the entire structure collapsed. This bridge is an Interstate - 35W - not some small deal.

Where did you even come up with that? Is this the standard reaction now to every accodemt that happens in the United States?

Unfortunately in this day and age, I think it is. After 9-11, it's like waiting for "what's next?"

News is reporting 7 fatalities now.

Where did you even come up with that? Is this the standard reaction now to every accodemt that happens in the United States?

Unfortunately I think we do have to consider it whenever there is a catostrophic accident that could have been man-induced.

I'm sure they looked into it and have ruled it out already. I'm sure the explosions in Dallas were look into. It could be home-grown terrorism, (like Tim McVeigh), for all we know.

We got a better look, and there was a substantial amount of equipment, some very heavy duty, in that one section.

Note: when the center collapsed it jerked the roadway in both directions, shearing the pins that hold the sections in place, causing those sections to collapse, in place, as they were pulled off their supporting structures/columns.

I think you are right. I watched more news coverage after your comment and that could have very well been the cause. Or at least part of the cause.

Unfortunately I think we do have to consider it whenever there is a catostrophic accident that could have been man-induced.

I'm sure they looked into it and have ruled it out already. I'm sure the explosions in Dallas were look into. It could be home-grown terrorism, (like Tim McVeigh), for all we know.
I suspect the road resurfacing construction may have something to do with this failure being that so much of their equipment is in that one spot that apppears to be very close to the initial point of failure.

The cloud puff that appeared to look like an explosion could easily have been the concrete dust from the bridge concrete being pulverized.

This reminds me of the bridge collapse in Oklahoma a few years ago. The death toll was dramatic and the stories were the most terrifying I have heard as far as accidents. I feel so badly for the families and friends in Minnesota, but I am already thankful for the busload of children and others who survived! Amazing.

They have a terrible recovery mission ahead of them and conditions are not favorable with the weather, location, and the everything else. We need to pray for the emergency teams and everyone associated with this aspect of this horrible tragedy, too.

Buzzm, you have that right, traffic was pretty much stopped. At 6 pm it is the height of rush hour traffic in Minneapolis, and nothing moves. Traffic was backed up car to car (and you can see that from the video), and from the witnesses that spoke, the cars were all at a stop. That probably helped that more people were not injured.

This is so tragic. "Reader's Digest" reported a few years ago that our bridges were failing. I will try to look up the article and post it here.

For roads (and repairing them) and traffic digestion, Minnesota dropped from number 3 to 48. (We are worse than LA, go figure!) We have tried to pass legislation to fix our roads, but our governer, Tim Pawlenty, has turned a blind eye. How does the average person try to fix this?

Laney

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$