GUILTY WI - Apple River multiple stabbing; one teen dead, 4 other people hurt; 52 year old man arrested, July 2022

I saw an earlier video of him in court during the first months. He has lost so very much weight. I don't honestly think he will last very long in prison. Up until now he had hope for the trial and be found not guitly. Now he has really no hope...he clearly was not eating before so going to get worse.
I've thought the same, he will not last long in prison. moo

Maybe I missed it but no one mentioned the horrific stabbing of Ryhley shown on video linked below but be warned its graphic. Around 9:49 timestamp. She also testified that the reason for the long scar was they had to "put her stomach back in."

NM described the river as a sewer and yet showed no regard for life or for any victims getting an infection. moo

Warning: contains graphic material

if NM was so smart he should have exercised his right to a lawyer, it would have stopped all his lies and that interview footage
I found that odd, too. I see him as a very simple man that has gotten through life with people believing his lies.
IIRC when he was expounding on his academic credentials, he said in the first interview with LE that he had two degrees, math and engineering and he was one class away from two masters. And then seconds later he when the officer questioned in which universities...he said he had not started on his masters. I could not understand what he said when he mentioned where he got his degrees.

And on the stand more contradictions minutes apart. Maybe he was good with tools, but.....

What I have learned from this case and from the people who are also following this case: pretty much no one has a fondness for teenagers.
I don't think any of my posts were disparaging toward these or any other teens.I suggested several times that they very well may have helped him look for the phone if he'd only communicated what he was doing. From very early on in the trial, I felt Miu was at fault, and my opinion didn't change throughout. Not everyone is down on teenagers. moo

What kind of world do you live in when you think it's OK to carry a knife and use it in self defence? Are you aware of the epidemic of murders from stabbings in the UK right now? It is off the scale. What is the purpose of carrying a knife in public?
The majority of adults I know carry a knife or knives. And it's perfectly acceptable to use them in self defense. This was not self-defense, as the jury clearly decided with their verdict.

What kind of world do you live in when you think it's OK to carry a knife and use it in self defence? Are you aware of the epidemic of murders from stabbings in the UK right now? It is off the scale. What is the purpose of carrying a knife in public?
IMO
It is not that uncommon for people to carry a knife. I do not understand why that would not be OK (especially for self-defense.) People do so for many reasons. I remember my Grampa carried a small one. He probably carried one since he was a kid. Every now and then he'd take out the knife to, oh I don't know, slice something off the bottom of his shoe, or cut rope or something when going to the city dump or running errands on the weekend or loading stuff. I think he even used it to clean under his nails iirc.:)

Well anyway.... just some examples of why some would carry a knife.

Last edited:
IMO
It is not that uncommon for people to carry a knife. I do not understand why that would not be OK (especially for self-defense.) People do so for many reasons. I remember my Grampa carried a small one. He probably carried one since he was a kid. Every now and then he'd take out the knife to, oh I don't know, slice something off the bottom of his shoe, or cut rope or something when going to the city dump or running errands on the weekend or loading stuff. I think he even used it to clean under his nails iirc.:)

Well anyway.... just some examples of why some would carry a knife.
I agree that people used to carry knives for practical reasons. Perhaps my Grandfather did: he apparently hunted for rabbits, cobbled stuff together cause he couldn't afford to buy new, and sometimes even whittled.

But I'm pretty sure the only time he ever thought 'I might need this in self defense some day' was when he was in the trenches in WWI.

He'd never have spent a day tubing on a river and drinking beer. He'd never have approached a group of teens who weren't his own family snd friends.

Many things have changed.

JMO

@Ursamajr I love teenagers! I do not approve of teens, who are breaking the law by consuming alcoholic beverages. I was particularly concerned by the BAC level of the murder victim, Issac Schuman, was 2.5X over the legal limit. At age 17!

How could he even walk, let alone swim, with that much alcohol in his system?

I watched the trial, and believe that the outcome was correct. Mui introduced the knife. He could have walked away, as the adult in the situation. And called the police if he felt he was in danger, or make a call for help, but I didn't see, nor did any witnesses mention that Miu called out for help, like he was in fear of his life.

Here is a similar incident, where lethal force was used by someone who felt "scared".
I hope they took his gun away.

"At one point, Brock says: 'I’ll shoot your other leg.'
Brock shot Hall a total of three times, police said, and then called police."

In general I love teens— have many in the family and they are fun, smart, boisterous and lively.

I don’t like unruly mobs of any demographic, though. I guess maybe I’m just lucky that I haven’t encountered a group like the one N.M. ran into on the Apple River.

The above is IMO.

Last edited:
I think what this case really came down to was whether or not Mr. Miu physically struck Madison Coen? In the end he was convicted of battery of Madison Coen, which might be the most important charge. Everything that happened to Mr. Miu happened after he struck Madison Coen.

In the video it is very hard to tell if he did strike Madison Coen. The prosecution did correctly show that Madison Coen had on sunglasses at one point and 2 seconds later, presumably because she was struck by Mr. Miu, she no longer had sunglasses on her face. Then the punch to Mr. Miu and pushing him in the water started. In the video, it looks like you can barely see Mr. Miu start to raise his left hand in front of Madison. I wonder if Mr. Miu raised his left hand in an aggressive manner to gesture for Madison to get away from him and by doing so, he struck her sunglasses? But all the witnesses said it was a physical punch to Madison Coen. One witness standing back by the Carlson group observing also stated it was a punch.

Today, the news stated that he will be sentenced on July 31st. It will be interesting to see what type of sentence the judge hands down.

I agree that people used to carry knives for practical reasons. Perhaps my Grandfather did: he apparently hunted for rabbits, cobbled stuff together cause he couldn't afford to buy new, and sometimes even whittled.

But I'm pretty sure the only time he ever thought 'I might need this in self defense some day' was when he was in the trenches in WWI.

He'd never have spent a day tubing on a river and drinking beer. He'd never have approached a group of teens who weren't his own family snd friends.

Many things have changed.

JMO
I carry a knife. My brothers carry knives. They are very practical tools. In necessary circumstances they also can be used for self-defense. I don't think this is a passe concept.

Some things haven't changed. We're all younger than M, and we'd never approach a group of teens or any other group who weren't our family or friends. We would respond when someone asked us a question, and we wouldn't be drunk floating down the river. I think most people wouldn't have acted like M.

APPLE RIVER STABBING TRIAL: Court records now list sentencing date for Nicolae Miu- July 31, 8:30a. Prosecutors say, Miu facing up to 97 yrs in prison after jury found him guilty of 1st degree reckless homicide & 5 other counts. Judge Michael Waterman has ultimate decision.

1:44 PM · Apr 17, 2024

APPLE RIVER STABBING TRIAL: Talked to 2 jurors. Upshot- Miu hurt himself on the stand, they started deliberations on the Miu-Madison Coen battery allegation, believing Nicolae threw 1st punch. And he had plenty of escape routes. My full story @FOX9 @ 9pm:

If only the mob had allowed NM to look for the camera/ phone in peace, and not heckled and taunted him.

You don’t get to attack and slander someone just because they look and sound different than you. All my opinion.

They didn't know what he was doing or that he was looking for anything. They asked, but he remained silent. moo
Didn't NM move/hinder other peoples tubes before the altercation? Maybe he then touched someone(s) under the water, be it accidentally or deliberately, not necessarily a female. That might have caused the youths to call him names, perhaps mentioning girls instead of boys.

I'm about a decade older than NM, but if I was floating in the water and one for me unknown, drunk man came and tried to move/hinder me, and touched me under the water, I would scream bloody murder/rape to get people to notice what was going on.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back