GUILTY WI - Apple River multiple stabbing; one teen dead, 4 other people hurt; 52 year old man arrested, July 2022

Absolutely nothing wrong with carrying a knife and nothing wrong with using it in self defense.
What kind of world do you live in when you think it's OK to carry a knife and use it in self defence? Are you aware of the epidemic of murders from stabbings in the UK right now? It is off the scale. What is the purpose of carrying a knife in public?

Thank you for bring that up. I noticed his look, which solidified for me that the jury got it right. The jury followed the law. However, imo, he's cold-hearted. moo

When Isaac's mom on the stand, she respectively
reframed from even looking at the defendant. Not even a glance as she walked by defense table.
I missed that but it does serve as more confirmation of my perception of this guy. I still can't tell if his odd behavior was due to being drunk or something else.

It was an extremely bizarre way to approach strangers who hadn't done anything at that point. A normal person would approach with a greeting & wave and explain someone in their group had lost their phone & he was looking for it and then ask permission if he was going to be close enought o touch them & their tubes. But he said nothing.

I would have been totally freaked out by this nonverbal guy stumbling around too close for comfort. And why didn't his group stop him? They said they had decided to NOT approach the teens yet didn't intervene. The one guy who came over just looked and left! I know I would have nipped that in the bud.

Of course, I avoid any & all situations with any potential for uncertain human response! I vacation exclusively in beautiful natural places that have few visitors! People are scary, nature is soothing.

I think the jury made the correct decision in this case. IMO Miu actually approached the teens with intent to do major physical harm, but I can see that it doesn't pass BRD.

I'm genuinely dismayed at the general consensus that the teens are to blame and that they 'deserved it'. This is more so on other social media sites. They did not instigate this tragic outcome. Yes they should have dealt with it more maturely but they were 17olds. Miu was the adult here that should have had the maturity to walk away. The teens weren't stopping him nor were they armed.

Miu's ego was bruised and without using his words or actions to deescalate the situation he decided to go in for the kill. It's a sad state of society when people immediately resort to violence to resolve petty grievances.

The irreversible damage to the victims, their families and everyone who witnessed this event is so sad and was utterly avoidable.

I missed that but it does serve as more confirmation of my perception of this guy. I still can't tell if his odd behavior was due to being drunk or something else.

It was an extremely bizarre way to approach strangers who hadn't done anything at that point. A normal person would approach with a greeting & wave and explain someone in their group had lost their phone & he was looking for it and then ask permission if he was going to be close enought o touch them & their tubes. But he said nothing.

I would have been totally freaked out by this nonverbal guy stumbling around too close for comfort. And why didn't his group stop him? They said they had decided to NOT approach the teens yet didn't intervene. The one guy who came over just looked and left! I know I would have nipped that in the bud.

Of course, I avoid any & all situations with any potential for uncertain human response! I vacation exclusively in beautiful natural places that have few visitors! People are scary, nature is soothing.

Something tells me Miu was the big cheese in that group and he gave the orders. imo

I also noted that Miu always using the word "poke" for stabbing....just a little poke to him. Just in the most venerable places....I only hope the documentaries that will be produced about this case dont miss the little details.

Apple River stabbing trial: Prosecution questions Nicolae Miu [FULL]​

Thank you for bring that up. I noticed his look, which solidified for me that the jury got it right. The jury followed the law. However, imo, he's cold-hearted. moo

When Isaac's mom on the stand, she respectively
reframed from even looking at the defendant. Not even a glance as she walked by defense table.
I think he is one cold guy however as he walked out I believe he was looking at his family..could be wrong

What kind of world do you live in when you think it's OK to carry a knife and use it in self defence? Are you aware of the epidemic of murders from stabbings in the UK right now? It is off the scale. What is the purpose of carrying a knife in public?
MOO Here in the US, tubing on a river, tubes are tied together with rope. To get tubes apart you need a knife. I'm thinking this old guy wasn't the only one out there with a knife.
One should never have to be in the position of self defense with any kind of weapon

MOO Here in the US, tubing on a river, tubes are tied together with rope. To get tubes apart you need a knife.
I don't doubt you, but I see that as unwise. I was around boats, rafts, buoys, inner tubes, growing up, and no one ever carried a knife. You learn about knots, you don't destroy your valuable, non-frayed lengths of rope by cutting through them, never mind the risk of hurting yourself or someone else. I would think, especially around inner tubes, after a day of drinking, if someone brings out a big knife...whoops. I really hope people learn how foolish that is.

I also can't recall any actual cases where a knife was successfully used in self defense (I'm sure there are a few), instead it's usually someone drunken or drugged up, who gets in an argument or fight with other drunks (including spouse, etc), kills someone, and presto - age 20 they face murder charges and a lengthy jail term. In this case, he doesn't have the excuse of only being 20 years old...

I do think alcohol was heavily involved on bith sides: Don't drink and drive, don't drink and carry a knife.

JMO

I'm not from the US, so I'm surpised it is so normalized, that someone - who is not a member of a gang - would carry a knife in his swimsuit for an afternoon of fun and drinking on the river.

IMO, wherever men routinely carry knives, stabbings are inevitable. Male honour and pride is so easily wounded. And if the man believes he doesn't have to communicate with others to diffuse a situation, because he can always just stab them, he doesn't use ordinary communication, he doesn't even threaten them with the knife to get them to back off, he just passively waits until the insult goes far enough, and then pulls out the secret weapon and kills.

JMO
I was also thinking about how he treated that knife as a weapon. Duh you might say. But I was just thinking about my Swiss Army knife I carry in my backpack & use primarily for my camera and tripod & monopod attachments. I have never once considered it a "weapon". It's just a tool I have for a specific purpose. I've never reached for it in response to human behavior and I don't think I ever would mostly because I have never reached for ANY weapon & it likely just wouldn't even occur to me.

But it seemed like the defendant was very aware of his knife. It was in his pocket not a bag or pack. It seems a bit odd to me that he would have it in his pocket while on the river. I'd be afraid of losing it out of my pocket. But he appeared to frequently be touching and checking on his knife. To me that suggests awareness if not intent but it didn't go that way in the end. It's obviously hard to actually know what was going on in that guy's head. But he was very conscious of the fact of his knife and his testimony indicated his desire to "stand his ground" which led him down the very dark path he's now on.

I was also thinking about how he treated that knife as a weapon. Duh you might say. But I was just thinking about my Swiss Army knife I carry in my backpack & use primarily for my camera and tripod & monopod attachments. I have never once considered it a "weapon". It's just a tool I have for a specific purpose. I've never reached for it in response to human behavior and I don't think I ever would mostly because I have never reached for ANY weapon & it likely just wouldn't even occur to me.

But it seemed like the defendant was very aware of his knife. It was in his pocket not a bag or pack. It seems a bit odd to me that he would have it in his pocket while on the river. I'd be afraid of losing it out of my pocket. But he appeared to frequently be touching and checking on his knife. To me that suggests awareness if not intent but it didn't go that way in the end. It's obviously hard to actually know what was going on in that guy's head. But he was very conscious of the fact of his knife and his testimony indicated his desire to "stand his ground" which led him down the very dark path he's now on.
I believe that he was afraid, especially after his prior surgery, but it is amazing to me how he tries to foist the knife ownership on the young guys. I was also surprised that the young women shoved him- crazy-acting drunk guy you do not know- touching him would not be number one on my list. IMO. Also interesting to me in the interview with the police when she tells him that one of the young guys died, he says "my life is over," so that sounds like an admission to me. I do not know if he was questioned about that statement in the trial.

What I have learned from this case and from the people who are also following this case: pretty much no one has a fondness for teenagers.

I think the jury made the correct decision in this case. IMO Miu actually approached the teens with intent to do major physical harm, but I can see that it doesn't pass BRD.

I'm genuinely dismayed at the general consensus that the teens are to blame and that they 'deserved it'. This is more so on other social media sites. They did not instigate this tragic outcome. Yes they should have dealt with it more maturely but they were 17olds. Miu was the adult here that should have had the maturity to walk away. The teens weren't stopping him nor were they armed.

Miu's ego was bruised and without using his words or actions to deescalate the situation he decided to go in for the kill. It's a sad state of society when people immediately resort to violence to resolve petty grievances.

The irreversible damage to the victims, their families and everyone who witnessed this event is so sad and was utterly avoidable.

I'm in agreement with you two. I wrote a post defending the teens last night:

You can really see the weight loss in these attachments. I'm sure that being incarcerated (jail) &/or having done what he did is taking a toll ... Going to prison will even be worse than jail. moo
https://twitter.com/48hours
@48hours

The suspect stabbed five people on the river on July 30, 2022 — killing 17-year-old Isaac Schuman and injuring four others.

No access to alcohol can result in weight loss, too. JMO.

I'm not from the US, so I'm surpised it is so normalized, that someone - who is not a member of a gang - would carry a knife in his swimsuit for an afternoon of fun and drinking on the river.

IMO, wherever men routinely carry knives, stabbings are inevitable. Male honour and pride is so easily wounded. And if the man believes he doesn't have to communicate with others to diffuse a situation, because he can always just stab them, he doesn't use ordinary communication, he doesn't even threaten them with the knife to get them to back off, he just passively waits until the insult goes far enough, and then pulls out the secret weapon and kills.

JMO
I agree that carrying a knife while in the river swimming or at a waterpark is sort of strange. But carrying a knife on you for protection is not that unheard of, especially if you live in a bad area.

This case is a tragedy all the way around because if Mr. Miu really was in fear of his life, then he may have felt enough fear to feel the need to protect himself. It is hard to understand if Mr. Miu felt fear or humiliation.

The taunting and name calling was wrong, but that does not give someone the right to stab people. Sometimes even with video it is hard to tell who was right and who was wrong.

IMO, it’s very sad that the prosecution witnesses who shamelessly lied will never be held accountable for their lies. NM lied also, and will likely be in prison for the rest of his life. IMO.

I had hoped the jury wouldn’t be swayed by sympathy or public pressure. There is no way to know how they reached their final verdict, but I hope it was based on facts, not feelings. IMO.

A 52 year old man who has never been in trouble with the law, never harmed a soul in his life, is now likely to be imprisoned to the end of his days after being attacked on the river and fighting back. A 17 year old is dead. The jury has spoken. IMO.

Last edited:
IMO I found portions of the police interview with NM after the incident unsettling and odd. As others noted, he mentioned a poke or jab with the knife. A poke? Based on the abdomen scar of the witness that appeared to nearly be a gutting as some have said. And NM was proud to show the female officer his large sternum/abdomen scar from his heart surgery……… the wound of the witness shown in court IMO almost mirrored his own incision scar. And the description of the injuries he inflicted on the slain individual were horrid.

NM also quickly spoke of self defense. And how supposedly others came at him with two different knives - which he could not really describe, yet which he had disarmed from others? He spoke little of his own knife IIRC?

I am glad the jury assessed and formed the conclusions and verdict rendered. MOO

IMO I found portions of the police interview with NM after the incident unsettling and odd. As others noted, he mentioned a poke or jab with the knife. A poke? Based on the abdomen scar of the witness that appeared to nearly be a gutting as some have said. And NM was proud to show the female officer his large sternum/abdomen scar from his heart surgery……… the wound of the witness shown in court IMO almost mirrored his own incision scar. And the description of the injuries he inflicted on the slain individual were horrid.

NM also quickly spoke of self defense. And how supposedly others came at him with two different knives - which he could not really describe, yet which he had disarmed from others? He spoke little of his own knife IIRC?

I am glad the jury assessed and formed the conclusions and verdict rendered. MOO
Mr Miu turned out to be a very dangerous man with a very timid outward demeanor, that hid his true nature.
IMO....And loved to blame everyone else for his actions:

It was not his idea to bring a knife, it was his friend's (even though he brought ties to use instead of free rope provided, and second time on river, he knew about precut rope for only $1). His testimony.

It was his friends fault that he had to defend himself because they did not come to help him. Wife's testimony.

It was the teen's fault he had to poke them even though he called the river a sewer and he approached the teens TWICE after disregarding his group's advise to stay away from teens. His testimony and Eric Von William's testimony.

I think conflating these teens with the young people we see on TV that are vandalizing stores and homes, jumping on cars, burning buildings and being disrespectful in general is wrong. I see these teens are sensing something was wrong with this man and approaching them for the wrong reasons.
IMO it was not about a lost phone. And there is nothing wrong with using a knife as a TOOL...but that is not how this knife was used. Miu did not need a weapon but wanted one. ALL MY OPINION.

I hope he stays in prison the rest of his life. I saw no accountability or remorse.

Mr Miu turned out to be a very dangerous man with a very timid outward demeanor, that hid his true nature.
IMO....And loved to blame everyone else for his actions:

It was not his idea to bring a knife, it was his friend's (even though he brought ties to use instead of free rope provided, and second time on river, he knew about precut rope for only $1). His testimony.

It was his friends fault that he had to defend himself because they did not come to help him. Wife's testimony.

It was the teen's fault he had to poke them even though he called the river a sewer and he approached the teens TWICE after disregarding his group's advise to stay away from teens. His testimony and Eric Von William's testimony.

I think conflating these teens with the young people we see on TV that are vandalizing stores and homes, jumping on cars, burning buildings and being disrespectful in general is wrong. I see these teens are sensing something was wrong with this man and approaching them for the wrong reasons.
IMO it was not about a lost phone. And there is nothing wrong with using a knife as a TOOL...but that is not how this knife was used. Miu did not need a weapon but wanted one. ALL MY OPINION.

I hope he stays in prison the rest of his life. I saw no accountability or remorse.
Yes….. so very true. And I agree entirely. And I neglected one other thing from NM in the interview I found astounding. His words to the investigator IIRC that as the others on the river had accused him of being a pervert / pedophile (or the like)….. and he says his response to them on that was I believe ‘ok, then why are you drinking’? SMH

As to his knife, in my belief it was not relevant why he might have brought his knife with him that day. What did matter was how he chose and elected to use it. Thankful for the prosecutors and jury that was seated for this case. MOO

Yes….. so very true. And I agree entirely. And I neglected one other thing from NM in the interview I found astounding. His words to the investigator IIRC that as the others on the river had accused him of being a pervert / pedophile (or the like)….. and he says his response to them on that was I believe ‘ok, then why are you drinking’? SMH

As to his knife, in my belief it was not relevant why he might have brought his knife with him that day. What did matter was how he chose and elected to use it. Thankful for the prosecutors and jury that was seated for this case. MOO
YES....he had a big issue with teens drinking, taking drugs and being loud on the river. And he had to pull his wife away from the river first time they went?? Big TELL.

And he told LE that he thought the river would be closed down because of the incident??? From 1st interview with LE.

No access to alcohol can result in weight loss, too. JMO.
I saw an earlier video of him in court during the first months. He has lost so very much weight. I don't honestly think he will last very long in prison. Up until now he had hope for the trial and be found not guitly. Now he has really no hope...he clearly was not eating before so going to get worse.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back