GUILTY WI - Authorities say man gave woman abortion pills to induce miscarriages

I think this is murder plain and simple.

I'd charge this as murder or close to it - and I'm very strongly pro-choice. Because without his acts, a living baby would have been born, given that the woman did plan to carry to term. I just don't think that for a prospective human, anyone, ever, should be forced to sacrifice their body and health for 9 months - period. My body, my choice. But this wasn't his body, and the person whose choice it was was going to continue. So he did cause the death of something that would have become a human being - and since it wasn't using his body as an incubator, he had no right to do so.

I would consider it murder too. This has nothing to do with abortion rights for me. He assaulted her causing a death.

I don't understand why the article stated the drug wasn't available in the U.S. Every Planned Parenthood carries this drug - it is VERY READILY available to any woman.

I don't understand why the article stated the drug wasn't available in the U.S. Every Planned Parenthood carries this drug - it is VERY READILY available to any woman.
I suspect they mean at the time of the crime it wasn't readily available. That was quite the controversy for quite awhile.

I put "money" on the fact that he did not want to "financially" contribute to the welfare of the babies he killed.

Or he wanted the women all to himself, and if she had the baby, then of course she would take care of the baby, and not devote her full attention to this man.

Or he did it to harm her, as she wanted the baby, and he thought the ultimate control was to take that "wanted" baby away from her.

Trust me when I say his life is all about him.

I've never miscarried, so please, forgive my ignorance, but, is testing, something that is done when one does? I'm having trouble understanding how the drug was found to be in her/the fetus' system to start the investigation.

Absolutely, Jinxie. Was the mother or the fetus tested for Milefestrone?

I've never miscarried, so please, forgive my ignorance, but, is testing, something that is done when one does? I'm having trouble understanding how the drug was found to be in her/the fetus' system to start the investigation.

From my personal experience, I would guess that the mother was either suspicious or had evidence to suspect OR that some of her symptoms were not consistent with a spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) and the medical staff got suspicious. They may be able to tell the difference between a natural miscarriage and one caused by this drug by now. I have heard that the contractions are more intense, much like the difference between a natural labor vs. contractions with pitocin. OUCH!

Unless there is something unusual, I have not known of anyone I can think of who had testing done during their first miscarriage except one friend who happened to have a doctor who was participating in some March of Dimes research. They tend to chalk it up to, "That's life."

Even after the second one, a lot of doctors will still kind of brush it off, especially if you have had other healthy pregnancies. You have to be pretty pro-active (pushy) if you want them to do any type of genetic screening or serious testing beyond a quick pathology examination before your third early loss (first trimester).

Things are changing for the better in this area, but not fast enough, IMHO, in regards to early loss. Too many doctors feel that you can just go back to the drawing board and start over without considering the emotional pain that families experience each time they go through it.

Personally I think this woman's doctors deserve a big high five for figuring this out! But I am highly biased on the subject. :angel:

From my personal experience, I would guess that the mother was either suspicious or had evidence to suspect OR that some of her symptoms were not consistent with a spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) and the medical staff got suspicious. They may be able to tell the difference between a natural miscarriage and one caused by this drug by now. I have heard that the contractions are more intense, much like the difference between a natural labor vs. contractions with pitocin. OUCH!

Unless there is something unusual, I have not known of anyone I can think of who had testing done during their first miscarriage except one friend who happened to have a doctor who was participating in some March of Dimes research. They tend to chalk it up to, "That's life."

Even after the second one, a lot of doctors will still kind of brush it off, especially if you have had other healthy pregnancies. You have to be pretty pro-active (pushy) if you want them to do any type of genetic screening or serious testing beyond a quick pathology examination before your third early loss (first trimester).

Things are changing for the better in this area, but not fast enough, IMHO, in regards to early loss. Too many doctors feel that you can just go back to the drawing board and start over without considering the emotional pain that families experience each time they go through it.

Personally I think this woman's doctors deserve a big high five for figuring this out! But I am highly biased on the subject. :angel:

I think you are spot on with this...her contraction would start within a certain amount of time after consuming the drug as well...

A women had "more then one miscarriage", she was "losing her babies" in the fourth and fifth month.

Before she became pregnant again, she went for tests, they determined she need medication and treatment if she became pregnant again.

She did become pregnant again, had the medication and treatment, plus due to the "pain" of the miscarriages which was emotionally, she could not face losing another child. She went to see a psych when she became pregnant again. She needed treatment at the hospital every week. She "looks after" other peoples kids, so the thought that she might lose the baby was just overwhelming.

Well when I saw her last, she was "forever happy" that she made it to the 33 week. She had never had a pregnancy that went that long.

Happy to say: Her and hubby are proud parents of "Jordan", who is now about 7. He is their miracle child.

I cant believe he had enough friends and family, to turn over $750,000 in cash or checks for his bond-----------------

He didnt have to sleep with her. If he did, and there was no protection used, then he had to accept those consequences... sorry! a woman's body is her choice!

i had the RU-486 thing explained to me once.
the way RU-486 was explained to me was that a doctor gives the medication in the office. he's looking at you as you take it - he adminsters it. that is why the article says it is not available by prescription (but it IS available in the united states). to clear that up for anyone, because that caused me to go "huh" when reading it.

anyway, and i don't remember specifics of it- which part does what, but there are two parts to the "regimen". one part that causes the cramping and actual loss of the pregnancy, and another part that causes the fetus to stop growing - causes cell divison to stop. anyway, people are buying the stuff of the internet rather than going to a physician, and they are only buying the stuff that causes them to cramp and lose the pregnancy... not the stuff that causes the cell division in the fetus to stop. and they aren't going in for follow up which is a HUGE deal health wise for the mom...
at least, that was how it was explained to me. I may be a little confused (I might have it flipped) as to what they are doing or buying to but that was the general gist of it. They are getting one drug and not the other. and not getting follow up.

From the Wiki - I think this was what the person who was talking to me about it was talking about:
Mifeprex is sold in the U.S. by Danco Laboratories, made in China,[8] and is FDA-approved in the U.S. to terminate intrauterine pregnancies of up to 49 days gestation. Under the FDA-approved regimen, a 600 mg dose is administered by a clinician following a counseling session. Two days later, a clinician administers 400 µg of another medicine, misoprostol, to induce contractions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mifepristone

It does say though that mifepristone may be successful alone in very early pregnancy.

I think this happens more often than health care professionals or the public realizes. There are MANY drugs which have the caution that they can cause miscarriages.
Some of the prostate shrinking drugs, the drug Cytotec, which is the second drug in the USA's RU 486 combo abortifacient..
Mifepristone is by far not the only drug which can cause spontaneous abortions in early pregnancy. Normally occuring Ergotamine derivatives have been used for centuries to cause drug induced abortions. SOME drugs prescribed for other reasons, like Cytotec, can cause cervical dilitation in any stage of pregnancy. Often a woman with a retained stillborn fetus will be given Cytotec to induce labor, then she delivers the stillborn baby at her hospital up to 5 days later. It's brutal, IMO, but it's the present protocol in many modern OB practices.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...?AID=/20080125/GPG0101/801250734/1207/GPGnews

$750,000 bond forfeited in Patel case

APPLETON — An Outagamie County circuit judge Thursday forfeited a $750,000 cash bond posted for a criminal suspect who authorities think fled the Fox Cities to his native India.

More than 20 people who contributed to Manish M. Patel's bond will now have to wait nearly a month before learning whether they will recoup any of the money they put up.
Judge John Des Jardins ordered the bond forfeiture during a brief Thursday morning hearing in Outagamie County Circuit Court. Patel was accused in November of trying to cause his girlfriend to have an abortion by mixing the drug RU-486 into a beverage. Patel's bond was posted on Dec. 3, and authorities at Outagamie County's day report center last saw Patel on Dec. 20. He had been ordered to check in at the center twice weekly.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...?AID=/20080125/GPG0101/801250734/1207/GPGnews

$750,000 bond forfeited in Patel case

APPLETON — An Outagamie County circuit judge Thursday forfeited a $750,000 cash bond posted for a criminal suspect who authorities think fled the Fox Cities to his native India.

More than 20 people who contributed to Manish M. Patel's bond will now have to wait nearly a month before learning whether they will recoup any of the money they put up.
Judge John Des Jardins ordered the bond forfeiture during a brief Thursday morning hearing in Outagamie County Circuit Court. Patel was accused in November of trying to cause his girlfriend to have an abortion by mixing the drug RU-486 into a beverage. Patel's bond was posted on Dec. 3, and authorities at Outagamie County's day report center last saw Patel on Dec. 20. He had been ordered to check in at the center twice weekly.
why would they recoup any of it? :confused:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back