WI WI - Caledonia, WhtFem 45-65, UP12533, Skeletal off rural rd, unusual denture & crown, May'82

That can unfortunately happen sometimes.

I read about a UK case that took a year and a half--they had to send the sample to a specialized lab in the Netherlands for part of the sequencing because it was so old and degraded that it required even more advanced techniques. Fingers crossed that they can get a good result.

Fast forward in time to July, 1985, in Adams, WI, where Hugo Baerwolf, Jr's. wife, Lorraine Baerwolf, disappears from their home without a trace. Her husband was the last one to see her alive.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/...missingwomanlorraine baerdorf_zpsaqkby0nv.jpg

She was never found.

Now come some interesting points...

It's an interesting possibility, but I think it's a different Hugo Baerwolf.

Hugo Jr's obituary (quoted from "Hugo Baerwolf", The Daily Register, Portage, Wisconsin. 25 JAN 1994. Page 3; database (Newspapers.com - Historical Newspapers from 1700s-2000s) ) says that Hugo's wife was Madeline Beyer and she died in 1966; there's no mention of a second wife.

However, the obituary for Dennis Baerwolf who died last year (Dennis R. Baerwolf Obituary (1940 - 2020) | Portage, Wisconsin) says "He was predeceased by : his parents, Hugo Baerwolf and Madeline Baerwolf."

A young veteran named Jeremiah Metzger who died this year lists Hugo and Madeline Baerwolf as his grandparents. He's the nephew of Dennis Baerwolf.
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/wiscnews/name/jeremiah-metzger-obituary?pid=198317684

So I guess that indicates somebody by that name exists. I can't find anything more about Lorraine, however, not even her maiden name. If somebody has Ancestry, it looks like there might be more there.

The name might be (mis)spelled as Bearwolf, Barwolf, Bauwolf, Barewolf.

72986524-3dc8-4429-85d7-0c171364e360-1-enhanced-jpg.312543
1188UFWI1.jpg
1188UFWI.jpg

She definitely resembles the reconstructions, especially the older clay one.

I knew Lorraine. I knew Hugo. I remember just before she disappeared she was crying and trying to tell me something. I was very young. She had weird dentures that wouldn’t stay in and caused her to slur and spit when she talked. I helped search for her when she disappeared. The whole thing is mixed up because he didn’t tell anyone she was missing for a few days and also told the police she went missing a few days before I saw her. She used to talk about that body found quite a bit and once blurted out that her husband was a murderer. She was a little off so we didn’t think anything about it. I thought they were married because our religion didn’t permit people to live “in sin” and they went on like husband and wife. It was so long ago I don’t remember too much about it anymore. I reached out to a family member on Facebook to talk about her and they briefly gave me a quick message about how people were accusing the Baerwolf family of murdering her and blocked me. I found this thread because I often think of my old friend. She was way out there and also a very sweet kind woman. I sometimes try to look and see if anyone knows more about her disappearance.

Hugo Jr's obituary (quoted from "Hugo Baerwolf", The Daily Register, Portage, Wisconsin. 25 JAN 1994. Page 3; database (Newspapers.com - Historical Newspapers from 1700s-2000s) ) says that Hugo's wife was Madeline Beyer and she died in 1966; there's no mention of a second wife.

However, the obituary for Dennis Baerwolf who died last year (Dennis R. Baerwolf Obituary (1940 - 2020) | Portage, Wisconsin) says "He was predeceased by : his parents, Hugo Baerwolf and Madeline Baerwolf."

A young veteran named Jeremiah Metzger who died this year lists Hugo and Madeline Baerwolf as his grandparents. He's the nephew of Dennis Baerwolf.
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/wiscnews/name/jeremiah-metzger-obituary?pid=198317684

So I guess that indicates somebody by that name exists. I can't find anything more about Lorraine, however, not even her maiden name. If somebody has Ancestry, it looks like there might be more there.

I knew Lorraine. I knew Hugo. I remember just before she disappeared she was crying and trying to tell me something. I was very young. She had weird dentures that wouldn’t stay in and caused her to slur and spit when she talked. I helped search for her when she disappeared. The whole thing is mixed up because he didn’t tell anyone she was missing for a few days and also told the police she went missing a few days before I saw her. She used to talk about that body found quite a bit and once blurted out that her husband was a murderer. She was a little off so we didn’t think anything about it. I thought they were married because our religion didn’t permit people to live “in sin” and they went on like husband and wife. It was so long ago I don’t remember too much about it anymore. I reached out to a family member on Facebook to talk about her and they briefly gave me a quick message about how people were accusing the Baerwolf family of murdering her and blocked me. I found this thread because I often think of my old friend. She was way out there and also a very sweet kind woman. I sometimes try to look and see if anyone knows more about her disappearance.

I'm sorry about your friend.

It sounds like she thought her husband had killed the woman this thread is about? Or am I reading too much into what you wrote?

I'm sorry about your friend.

It sounds like she thought her husband had killed the woman this thread is about? Or am I reading too much into what you wrote?
She was pretty confused and had psychological issues. I think she was talking about Hugo Senior murdering the bar owner and thought it was her husband Hugo Jr. I think it’s sad the whole thing got two short articles in a newspaper that was about 4 pages long back then. Now she’s not even on any missing persons list.

She was pretty confused and had psychological issues. I think she was talking about Hugo Senior murdering the bar owner and thought it was her husband Hugo Jr. I think it’s sad the whole thing got two short articles in a newspaper that was about 4 pages long back then. Now she’s not even on any missing persons list.

That is very sad. Poor woman.

1*j06fY8t5zXWYJgRhtnZbQQ.jpeg

Facial reconstruction of what the decedent may have looked like in life. Source: The Doe Network

The Case​

She was found in, effectively, the middle of nowhere — about 60 feet off Petra Road in Caledonia, Wisconsin. Even today, the most notable thing nearby is a John Deere store. On May 8th 1982, there couldn’t have been nothing more than the trees and Midwest sky surrounding this lonely country road. But, a passerby discovered something else — the skeletal remains of a woman.

She may have been there for as long as a year, so long that many distinct physical characteristics had already vanished in decomposition. A multicolored blouseand brown size 12 pants remained. They’d have to glean the story from her bones.

With little to no soft tissue left, an anthropologist was brought in to examine the skeleton. She appeared to be a white woman (although this is not certain) between 45–65 years old and about 5'5–5'7. They believe she had given birth at least once in her life. This nameless woman was probably someone’s mother, maybe even grandmother.
She’d received dental work at some point in life, including an unusual partial denture and crowns. There do exist both regional and individual “styles” of dentistry, so this fact could potentially aid in identifying her, or at least narrowing down where she may have lived. However, what specifically made this dental work distinct is not available online.

Aside from her teeth, her joints told investigators another unique trait — she had probably suffered from arthritis in her neck, lower spine, and left knee. This condition probably caused her pain, and she may have walked with a distinctive gait in life.

While so many findings were not entirely certain, the state of her skull made the cause of death pretty clear — blunt force trauma. She had been murdered with a blow to the head and dumped in a rural area where her killer hoped she would never be found. And if it weren’t for that passerby on a late summer day, she might never have been.

But they couldn’t find her killer, much less her name. No missing persons reports filed in southern Wisconsin matched her description and they had no real murder evidence to go off of. The leads didn’t slowly fade — they never had any leads, period. By 1987, they finally deemed the case cold and buried her in Wyocena, a small village about twenty miles where she was discovered.

Her story doesn’t end here, though. On April 21 2014, the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office reopened the case with the help of the FBI Crime Lab. Her body was exhumed to collect DNA and upload into CODIS database of missing persons. With so many recent Doe cases solved through DNA, investigators must have been hopeful that this would finally crack the case.

Unfortunately, there was no match. Whoever she was, she wasn’t in there. The case continues.

Theories​

Based on the circumstances of her discovery — killed elsewhere, probably stripped of any personal effects, then dumped off the side of a lonely road — I was oddly reminded of the Sunset Strip Killers who had been operating only a few years prior in LA. Of course, I am not implicating that they were the culprits here, but this woman may have been a vulnerable person just like their victims. They went after young sex workers or runaways, women who were not society’s priority and may not be immediately missed. This woman, maybe, fell into a similar category.

With the many cases of former John and Jane Does being identified as people who were never technically “missing,” it doesn’t surprise me that they did not get a hit in CODIS if they are only comparing her database to that of reported missing persons. If she is someone’s mother, she may very likely be someone’s grandmother or great-grandmother today. She could have mothered an entire line of people alive today, at least one of which is likely to have entered their DNA into a genealogy database. Given that most people of European descent — like this woman probably was — can be identified through cousins in these databases, it’s possible her identity can be found through here.

Maybe, hopefully, this could be the key to cracking this case.

This Jane Doe's NamUs profile was modified today, 12/15/22
She currently has 4 rule outs
Results 255075100Page 1 / 1 1
Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP14829 Peggy Decoteau
Date of Last Contact July 04, 1979
State MT
County Mineral
Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP18226Marie Jost
Date of Last Contact March 01, 1988
StateWI