Found Deceased WI - Derek Helgeson, 39, Eau Claire, 28 April 2017

In Michigan this is morel (mushroom) hunting season. Could he of perhaps wandered off into woods to look?

I want to thank the op's who added Derek Helgeson's case to this site. I am Derek's sister. Below is a link to the latest news report. The Eau Claire police have taken this case very seriously from the start, but we have very little to go on. I have come on here to encourage more conversation about my missing brother. I am willing to answer any questions and welcome thoughts from Websleuth members.

http://www.weau.com/content/news/New-details-released-on-missing-Eau-Claire-man-421510563.html

Hello jodego27, I hope Derek is found safe! I'm praying for you and your family.

Was there a particular reason why Derek was at the Truax Lane Holiday? Does he work in that area? It's a truck stop gas station and area, a common stop for people as they are cruising west towards the twin cities. Does Derek have any known ties to the Eleva / Mondovi area?

No, in fact he was a frequent kwik trip user. And this holiday station was in the opposite direction of and several miles away from the kwik trip close to his house.

Update Derek has been found an angel. Please keep the family and his friends in your prayers.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Is there a link bbbd4u? TIA

http://www.wqow.com/story/35319822/...rs-still-searching-for-missing-eau-claire-man

Detective Mark Pieper told News 18 the body of Derek Helgeson was found on Wednesday, south of Eau Claire. Police say it is the same area where Helgeson's car was located shortly after he was first reported missing on April 28. Helgeson was last seen filling up his car at a Holiday Gas Station on Truax Lane.

Detective Pieper says foul play is not suspected. Helgeson's family has been notified.

RIP, Derek.

Oh no. Prayers for Derek's family. Im so sorry⚘

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Thoughts and prayers going up for Derek and Family.

Rest in peace, Derek. Love and peace to you, jodego27, and the rest of his family and friends.

My heart and prayers to Derek's family and friends.

My deepest condolences and prayers to Derek's family...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Oh no, I am so sorry jodego27 :(

Please accept my deepest condolences. My heart and prayers are with you, your family and friends.

I still had hope this turned out differently, there's no words :(

Much love and hugs :tears::rose:Rest in peace, Derek :rose:

Can I just speculate as to how he was missed when the police searched that area? I heard they used dogs. A small part of me wonders if that's not where he was originally. I guess I'll wait to see what the EC PD says. I'm not terribly confident in their abilities.

Jodego27, I am so very sorry for the loss of your brother Derek. I have been praying for you and your family and all of the people that knew and loved Derek, and I will keep praying for you all.

I hope you receive the answers that you need. We wanted Derek to be found safe, healthy, and alive, and I am devastated that this wasn't the case.

You have a community here that is sending prayers and positive thoughts your way. If you need to reach out to anyone here, please know that you are more than welcome to.

I am so sorry to hear this. Wishing peace and love to you jodego27, and to all who loved Derek. My deepest condolences to you all.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Can I just speculate as to how he was missed when the police searched that area? I heard they used dogs. A small part of me wonders if that's not where he was originally. I guess I'll wait to see what the EC PD says. I'm not terribly confident in their abilities.
Let me try to clairify a few things about the different reasons as to why the dogs may not have alerted. You can take anything I say and form your own opinion. When it comes to trailing dogs they need to be brought in ASAP it is extremely difficult to pick up as the time goes on and the elements are changing especially if there is any rain that could have washed away the scent. Another thing to take into consideration is the terrain of the area. Cadaver dogs rely fully on scent the wind can be blowing out of the south while you are standing in a field but once you get in the trees the wind direction can change which can be challenging not only for the dogs but their handlers as well. If there is an area that is not 100% flat the airflow pattern can be difficult to calculate.

If there is one thing that I can stress about this situation please remember no one in the SAR community is perfect and sometimes things are missed.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalKnowledge
Back