WI WI - Evelyn Hartley, 15, La Crosse, 24 Oct 1953

md_e1fc86672add-evelyn-hartley_profile.jpg

Evelyn Hartley, age 15, went missing on 24 October 1953.

A green 1941 Buick, similar to a suspect vehicle seen after Evelyn Hartley's abduction by witness Ed Hofer who reported it to police. He stated that there were two men and a girl in the vehicle.

Automobile production was halted in early 1942, due to the US entering World War II, with most existing/available models of that year going to the military. Automobile production did not start up again until 1946, with most vehicles then closely resembling the 1942 models.

A car like this would have been well worn and noticeably older than most other vehicles in 1953.

Ref the window - I found this resource. There is a newspaper article (it's the 3rd from the bottom of the library archival links) that shows detectives inspecting the window at the time of disappearance.

There is a round metal window-well surrounding it and the siding does seem higher than current. Based on proportions of the detectives in the photo compared to the window-well, it may have been awkward to enter/exit through the window, but certainly well-within the relam of the possible. IMO, "the why" is given that neighbours had reported hearing screams and some reportedly were then looking outside for the source and saw 'nothing'; it may very well be that she screamed during the struggle inside the house and was removed via the basement window exactly because some neighbours had been checking outside their fronts due to hearing screams.

Ref the window - I found this resource. There is a newspaper article (it's the 3rd from the bottom of the library archival links) that shows detectives inspecting the window at the time of disappearance.

There is a round metal window-well surrounding it and the siding does seem higher than current. Based on proportions of the detectives in the photo compared to the window-well, it may have been awkward to enter/exit through the window, but certainly well-within the relam of the possible. IMO, "the why" is given that neighbours had reported hearing screams and some reportedly were then looking outside for the source and saw 'nothing'; it may very well be that she screamed during the struggle inside the house and was removed via the basement window exactly because some neighbours had been checking outside their fronts due to hearing screams.

Thanks for that, interesting that the window well was in place, but seeing that I can see how it would be exceptionally easy to just slide in, rather than climb. On the way out via the stepladder the metal window well would probably help by giving you something to pull yourself up with too.

Thanks for sharing! Definitely looks like something happened with the lawn or the window well. The siding definitely was replaced and/or added on top of. I agree as far as going through the window. However, I'm not sure going out that window would've helped them as far as being concealed. I am under the impression that there was no house to the south (right on the picture you shared) of the Rasmussen's house. Maybe they snuck out there, and went that way because they knew it (because they had gone in through there). But it doesn't seem likely that it was the most hidden. Who knows. Good thoughts either way

I’ve always pictured Evelyn running from the intruders into the basement and escaping out the window but being caught. Perhaps this was the screaming that the neighbors heard. Once out of the house, they wouldn’t be able to get back in if the door was locked and they would be fearful that her screams had drawn attention, so there would be no choice but to muscle her into the car.

It’s hard for me to imagine that a kidnapping with a clumsy exit through an awkward window to a car parked far away was planned.

This site shows a pic of the house then. The Missing: Evelyn Hartley

It looks the same size, width wise. If there’s newer siding, a bit may overhang the windows. MOO.

Once, my kid was locked out and he got the idea to go thru a basement window. It was super easy for him at age 15 and being incredibly skinny.
my brother used to routinely climb through our basement windows and my bedroom window which only opened half way until he was around 17 or 18. i never tried it though lol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back