WI WI - Evelyn Hartley, 15, La Crosse, 24 Oct 1953

No it hasn't unfortunately. Only the redacted transcript.
I recall reading this several years ago on someone's blog or personal web site. IIRC it came from a recording of a suspect who hung out at a local bar and occasionally talked about the crime when he was in his cups. Is that the one?

If so, it does sound like he occasionally said things about the crime that the public didn't know.

I recall reading this several years ago on someone's blog or personal web site. IIRC it came from a recording of a suspect who hung out at a local bar and occasionally talked about the crime when he was in his cups. Is that the one?

If so, it does sound like he occasionally said things about the crime that the public didn't know.
Yes it was recording by the Tavern owner Mel Williams. The two men on the tape recording were Clyde "Tywee" Peterson and Whitey Barclay. In the recording Peterson states that he helped take Evelyn to someone's residence (Name and House have been redacted) and also admits to digging up grave(s). They also mention Frank "Jack" Gaulthair as being the person to have killed Evelyn. Jack was friend's with an individual by the name of Marion Driscoll and both were adjudged guilty of contributing to the delinquency of a minor by the first name Donna in 1951 who at that time was approximately the same age as Evelyn when she was abducted. Some believe that the redacted person and location could possibly be Marion Driscoll and his farm and that Evelyn was buried under the floor of an old tobacco shed there in La Farge Wisconsin.

Do I believe this to be the case? It very well could be but there are so many other potential leads as well.

Yes it was recording by the Tavern owner Mel Williams. The two men on the tape recording were Clyde "Tywee" Peterson and Whitey Barclay. In the recording Peterson states that he helped take Evelyn to someone's residence (Name and House have been redacted) and also admits to digging up grave(s). They also mention Frank "Jack" Gaulthair as being the person to have killed Evelyn. Jack was friend's with an individual by the name of Marion Driscoll and both were adjudged guilty of contributing to the delinquency of a minor by the first name Donna in 1951 who at that time was approximately the same age as Evelyn when she was abducted. Some believe that the redacted person and location could possibly be Marion Driscoll and his farm and that Evelyn was buried under the floor of an old tobacco shed there in La Farge Wisconsin.

Do I believe this to be the case? It very well could be but there are so many other potential leads as well.
Frank "Jack" Gaulthair later committed suicide Christmas Day, 1967. That, of course, was mentioned in the tape.

Attachments

• gaulthair.jpg
    gaulthair.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 9
I just listened to this case. It would be nice for police to finally solve it. Sad that her parents are deceased and never knew what happened.

I haven't read the whole thread yet so this has probably already been answered but there seems alot of uncertainty as to why they left, with Evelyn, through the basement window, which was quite a difficult task. Maybe I am stating the obvious but presumably they had no other option since every other door and window was locked? Presumably at this time the door would have been one of the ones that needed to be physically locked and unlocked everytime, not self-locking but can be opened from the inside (which I think are more recent). If Evelyn had locked the front door and then, say, placed the keys in a bowl on the side or hung them on a hook, then the intruders would not have known where they were or which key was which and wouldn't have had time to search. The basement window was the only way in and out they knew of.

I am inclined to believe that this was a burglary gone horribly wrong. They may have seen the owners leave and assumed the place to be empty. There was clearly a struggle in the living room and perhaps they dragged her into the basement out of sight hoping to leave her there, but alive. Once there she probably started screaming and in the heat of the moment she was injured by one of the assailants. At this point panic probably set it, and they reaslised that Evelyn could identify them (especially if she already knew them), leaving them no option but to dispose of her. JMO

I'd love to know where the transcript of the recording actually came from. I know where to find it, I've read it. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even looking past the redactions.

Came across a podcast called Casefile. Episode 224 is the Hartley case. I only listened to the portion regarding the recording. Bits and pieces of info that I'd never read anywhere, but nothing groundbreaking. The most interesting is that an author visited Dorien "Whitey" Barclay, the man questioning "Tywee" in the recording, at the assisted living home. Barclay was said to have been fairly far gone at that point but acted oddly at the mention of the name Evelyn Hartley. Barclay died in 2007 and his obituary is still online. He may not have participated in the event, but he's certainly guilty of not disclosing info back then...

I'd love to know where the transcript of the recording actually came from. I know where to find it, I've read it. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even looking past the redactions.

Came across a podcast called Casefile. Episode 224 is the Hartley case. I only listened to the portion regarding the recording. Bits and pieces of info that I'd never read anywhere, but nothing groundbreaking. The most interesting is that an author visited Dorien "Whitey" Barclay, the man questioning "Tywee" in the recording, at the assisted living home. Barclay was said to have been fairly far gone at that point but acted oddly at the mention of the name Evelyn Hartley. Barclay died in 2007 and his obituary is still online. He may not have participated in the event, but he's certainly guilty of not disclosing info back then...
Are you talking about the transcript in post #718 on this thread or a different one?

Some locations and names were eliminated from this transcript at the request of La Crosse police.

Whitey Barclay : That's about the time. about the time you hauled that Hartley girl down there (unintelligible) [owner of house deleted] That right?
Clyde Tywee Peterson : I's up on that deal.
Whitey Barclay: Huh?
Clyde Tywee Peterson: I's up on that deal.
Whitey Barclay: You was up or down? What everything else [location deleted].
{Unintelligible}
Clyde Tywee Peterson: Up, up, up.
Whitey Barclay : What do you mean, up? ---(deleted)---- why not? Why not?
Clyde Tywee Peterson: .. dig up graves and everything else [location deleted].
Whitey Barclay: but the thing is, you hauled her from La Crosse down to --( house location deleted)----and back to La Crosse. huh?
Clyde Tywee Peterson: no.
Whitey Barclay: You didn't haul her back every time?
Whitey Barclay: You did haul her up there, though?
Clyde Tywee Peterson: .. no witness.. no proof. they haven't found her, have they?
Whitey Barclay: I don't give a sh-- (deleted)----about proof.
Unidentified Woman #1: What girl?
Whitey Barclay: The Hartley girl.
Unidentified Woman #1: What Hartley girl?
Whitey Barclay: Yeah, well this is the Hartley girl that disappeared in La Crosse, and he hauled her to---( location deleted)---and she disappeared.
Whitey Barclay: He {unintelligible}. You know damn right he all done it and I know it, and he told me with his own mouth.
Unidentified Woman: From La Crosse?
Whitey Barclay: Yeah. That's the girl they never did solve the mystery on, see.
Whitey Barclay : I'll tell you another thing that's ridiculous, (unintelligible) won't tell him Jack Gaulthair he went crazy and shot himself.
Whitey Barclay : Yeah. yeah.
Whitey Barclay: He knows about it, too. ---( name deleted)---- knows about it, and you know ---(deleted)---- is scared to death of his kids because he's afraid he's goin' to kill {unintelligible}, and I think ---( deleted)---- knows about it, too.
Whitey Barclay: I'll be damned.
Whitey Barclay: I think, I think she's buried down there, too. and old --( deleted)----is just scared of his kids! ---( name deleted)---- was the biggest man there was. Why is he scared of his kids?..... 'cause he knew where she's buried, didn't he? You think I'm right or wrong? I, I can read between the lines Tywee.. and, and, shut it off, shut it off. ~End of transcript~

Are you talking about the transcript in post #718 on this thread or a different one?

Some locations and names were eliminated from this transcript at the request of La Crosse police.

Whitey Barclay : That's about the time. about the time you hauled that Hartley girl down there (unintelligible) [owner of house deleted] That right?
Clyde Tywee Peterson : I's up on that deal.
Whitey Barclay: Huh?
Clyde Tywee Peterson: I's up on that deal.
Whitey Barclay: You was up or down? What everything else [location deleted].
{Unintelligible}
Clyde Tywee Peterson: Up, up, up.
Whitey Barclay : What do you mean, up? ---(deleted)---- why not? Why not?
Clyde Tywee Peterson: .. dig up graves and everything else [location deleted].
Whitey Barclay: but the thing is, you hauled her from La Crosse down to --( house location deleted)----and back to La Crosse. huh?
Whitey Barclay: You didn't haul her back every time?
Whitey Barclay: You did haul her up there, though?
Clyde Tywee Peterson: .. no witness.. no proof. they haven't found her, have they?
Whitey Barclay: I don't give a sh-- (deleted)----about proof.
Unidentified Woman #1: What girl?
Whitey Barclay: The Hartley girl.
Unidentified Woman #1: What Hartley girl?
Whitey Barclay: Yeah, well this is the Hartley girl that disappeared in La Crosse, and he hauled her to---( location deleted)---and she disappeared.
Whitey Barclay: He {unintelligible}. You know damn right he all done it and I know it, and he told me with his own mouth.
Unidentified Woman: From La Crosse?
Whitey Barclay: Yeah. That's the girl they never did solve the mystery on, see.
Whitey Barclay : I'll tell you another thing that's ridiculous, (unintelligible) won't tell him Jack Gaulthair he went crazy and shot himself.
Whitey Barclay : Yeah. yeah.
Whitey Barclay: He knows about it, too. ---( name deleted)---- knows about it, and you know ---(deleted)---- is scared to death of his kids because he's afraid he's goin' to kill {unintelligible}, and I think ---( deleted)---- knows about it, too.
Whitey Barclay: I'll be damned.
Whitey Barclay: I think, I think she's buried down there, too. and old --( deleted)----is just scared of his kids! ---( name deleted)---- was the biggest man there was. Why is he scared of his kids?..... 'cause he knew where she's buried, didn't he? You think I'm right or wrong? I, I can read between the lines Tywee.. and, and, shut it off, shut it off. ~End of transcript~

That's the one. To me it just doesn't read out at all like the articles from the time it was discovered made it out to. Maybe it would be different to actually hear it. I can't tell in what way Barclay is talking. Is he aghast? Is he virtually celebrating it? It's very hard to tell. And Tywee barely says a word.

That's the one. To me it just doesn't read out at all like the articles from the time it was discovered made it out to. Maybe it would be different to actually hear it. I can't tell in what way Barclay is talking. Is he aghast? Is he virtually celebrating it? It's very hard to tell. And Tywee barely says a word.
I understood that both Gaulthair and Peterson had discussed the case with Barclay in the past. I'd like to listen to the whole CD because there's obviously more to this conversation that was left out including the redactions by the La Crosse police. I hope the full conversation is released one day because it appears the La Crosse police are doing nothing to further this case.

I believe the transcript of that taped conversation was in Susan T. Hessel's book about Evelyn Hartley and mentioned in the article below from the Journal Gazette Mattoon, Illinois · Saturday, May 22, 2004. The bartender taped the conversation and Whitey Barclay was aware he was being taped because in the end he told Mel Williams, the bartender, to shut off the tape recorder. According to the taped confession, Clyde Tywee Peterson, Jack Gaulthair and an unidentified mutual friend kidnapped Evelyn and took her to the unidentified mutual friend's farm. IMO, the unidentified mutual friend may have been Marion Driscoll, also of La Farge, who, along with Jack Gaulthair (not Gaultphair), abducted another 15 year old girl, took her to a bar and then up to a bedroom (see news article) The casetext link below also states what happened in that case.

Journal_Gazette_2004_05_22_Page_7 (1).jpg
Article from the The Sheboygan Press
Sheboygan, Wisconsin · Wednesday, February 04, 1953

driscoll gaulthair.jpg

evelyn_grace_hartley_1.jpg
evelyn_grace_hartley_2.jpg

Evelyn Grace Hartley, 15​

Missing since 24 October 1953 from La Crosse, Wisconsin​

LINK:

Some accounts mention that a witness saw two men with a girl who looked like Evelyn in a 1941 Buick. Here are some photos of that year and make car:

This pre World War II automobile was used as an Army staff car painted in Olive Drab color. Such cars were featured in movies "Saving Private Ryan" and "Pearl Harbor".

I know! And V. Mortenson is a wonderful actor!
And Viggo Rasmussen (father whose children Evelyn was babysitting) was also probably a good professor. Imagine how traumatic it would be for a young couple to have their babysitter murdered while they were at the college football game.

It's behind a paywall. As much as I'd like to subscribe to the LaCrosse Tribune, I wouldn't read it enough to make it worthwhile.

Here's a link at Newspapers.com

The article says Mr. Rasmusen sold the house immediately and relocated to a different house in town. There he installed bars on the windows. Poor family. The older daughter, Lina said her dad, Viggo, had a nervous breakdown. He became paranoid about his wife and children, always asking they check in with him to make sure they were safe. Lina married and moved to California in the late 60's, but her parents stayed in LaCrosse until they passed many years later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back