WI WI - Helen Stark, South Milwaukee, 23-26 years old, 12 January 1946

You're welcome!

I wonder if this is the husband?

"...Stark, William P., Cpl.; route 1, box 320, Pewaukee; entered army March 12, 1943; discharged Jan. 12, 1946..."

Would explain how they'd remember that date, if she disappeared around the same time her husband returned. And "marital problems" could be she'd met someone else while he was gone.

Waukesha Daily Freeman Archives, Apr 4, 1946, p. 11

met someone else, or there was an additional child....

27d25e42-3cb0-47fb-9d47-2c82ecf18473.jpg

(from public photos on ancestry)

Thank you all! You have submitted so much information to this thread and I’m so happy because I know that helens case was never forgotten! I am so happy more and more people will be able to know about her case! Thank you so much!

The other couple in the wedding photo is Helen's sister Phyllis with her husband John.
And I don't know how "lovely" it was. My grandparents had a similar glamorous studio portrait done, and they were working-class immigrants from Finland and Russia, married in a rush after my grandmother got pregnant.

I haven't found a date for the wedding, or what happened to her children and her husband.
He could possibly be this guy:

William P Stark (1917-1999) - Find A Grave...

There was a Stark family with a William son living in the Bay View area, and Helen's family lived in South Milwaukee.

Last edited:
I feel that there might be a serial killer in Wisconsin as a few other girls besides Helen vanished in Wisconsin in the 1940s and 1950s. Georgia wrecker vanished in 1947, Ricky jean Bryant vanished in 1949, and then Evelyn Hartley vanished in 1953. I don’t feel that Ricky Bryant was kidnapped by a stranger as the police have uncovered evidence that supports that Ricky may be alive. But it is unknown as to what may have happened to Georgia, Evelyn, or Helen.

Ed Gein was around. His mother died just weeks before Helen disappeared and according to his Wikipedia: "Soon after his mother's death, Gein began to create a "woman suit" so that "...he could become his mother—to literally crawl into her skin"."

But most of my theories about what happened to Helen involve her having met a new man.
She decided to run away with him/ he wasn't happy when she wanted to go back with her just returned husband/ or her husband wasn't happy she'd met someone else.

I wonder what her family's theory was?

You may be right about the Ed gein theory. According to the wiki some of the remains were never identified and he is a suspect in 2 other cases so it would fit

Thank you Mysteries! I see the details have been updated too!

While you're in contact with Meaghan, could you ask her to add back Helen's maiden name as well (Borkowski,) and the name of her husband? It would help other people researching.
Please, thank you!

I have to do it later because I’m busy right now. I promise though I will contact her

Ed Gein was around. His mother died just weeks before Helen disappeared and according to his Wikipedia: "Soon after his mother's death, Gein began to create a "woman suit" so that "...he could become his mother—to literally crawl into her skin"."
Ed was never around Milwaukee other than attempting to enlist for WWII in 1942, and his criminal acts didn't start until around '49 (definitely by '50).

Last edited:
Wow it’s been months since anyone’s replied on helens thread. Anyway I don’t know who could be considered a suspect in the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back