Found Deceased WI - Jeannie Melville, 18, Green Bay, Aug 1970

Jeanie Melville has been RULED OUT. It was actually the investigation into this Doe that led to the discovery that Jeannie was missing.

The Det. Sgt. at Darke County Sheriff, who is in charge of the Doe's investigation was very helpful and kind. I have his email if anyone needs it - just pm me. I'm not sure I want to post it here on the public board, but his phone number is on the Doe's flyer.

He did not have a list of ruled outs, but said he will look at anything we want to send him.

Salem

So, why was Jeanne Melville ruled out initally when it was a match?:waitasec:

What a sad story. She was just one year older than me. It's true, she looks exactly like any number of people from my own high school yearbook. I wonder where she was between July 1st and the earliest estimated date of her death, September 27th? Did she meet someone and go willingly with him, or was she possibly kidnapped and held somewhere from July 1st until her death? I hope LE is able to solve this. I'm just glad she was identified and can be returned to her family. RIP Jeannie.

-----------------------------------------------------

I had identified so much with Jeannie. She was around my sister's age.
From the articles, she almost made it to the home of her aunt.

Poor Jeannie. You are home now.
Your aunt was still looking for you after all these years.

I hope there was some forensic evidence they recovered and it now can be processed and maybe your killer will spend the rest of his life in jail.

You are in eternal peace now.

Hi dreamweaver,

The first time I saw Jeannie’s face there was an instant connection. I quickly realized that I could not have met her before; we lived 1,000 miles apart, but still my first instinct was to grab my old HS yearbook and look for a match.

Today I pulled that yearbook out and searched for the reason why; and there she was. Not Jeannie but a girl who could have been her older sister. A very long time ago Dorothy Squires and I were friends, we spent the summer of 1966 together; me teaching her how to play tennis. (Sort of) She teaching me how to water ski. (Sort of)

I would be lying if I told you I did not wish that we were more then just friends, but she already had a boyfriend, and I was far to shy to explore the possibility that something more could develop.

I have not seen Dottie since 1970; but I know I will meet her again someday- call it a class reunion in the sky.

Questions for everyone, where was Jeannie between the time she got on the bus and the time her body was found? It looks to me like there are up to 11 weeks unaccounted for. Why was she found nude but wearing a red wig?

That she was found naked, could indicate that she was sexually assaulted. Perhaps the red wig has something to do with some kind of fetish of the murderer? :confused:

That is the question.
What happened to her from the time the bus arrived to when she was found?
As we all know, people can be abducted, any time, any where.

Was the red wig a way her abductor chose to disguise her?

Did she meet this guy on the bus and he seemed so nice, from that same town as her aunt and she thought, wow, a friend, a guy to hang out with
and then, he turned out not to be a nice guy. .. ..

Just really hope there was forensic evidence saved.

Peter J.
Jeannie's face and hairstyle mirrored my sister's and so many others.
I too had that little page boy flip in my hair cut.

1966. A long time ago now, but one we obviously remember well.
OT: Dorothy S. Maybe you can find her, just to say hi.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ng-since-1970-being-brought-back-to-Green-Bay

August 6, 2009

...Melville’s remains will be exhumed today from her burial plot in Darke County, Ohio, and will be cremated at a local funeral home before being brought back to Wisconsin, Darke County Sheriff Chief Deputy Mark Whittaker said...

...Melville’s aunt, Phyllis Nichols of Wayne Lakes, Ohio, recognized the composite published in a local newspaper and alerted detectives in October 2008.

A DNA test results made public in July confirmed the identity...

Although it took so many years, at least this poor family finally got an answer...I wish all the others who've had loved ones missing for decades might as well.

At least there's hope with DNA and all the different techniques, developing all the time. Who in Jeannie's time would have dreamed of the various crime-solving tactics we have today? So we can only wait and see what kind of things the future will bring, too...

According to an anonymous comment in the FindAGrave entry linked above, the decedent has been identified.

I'm glad they figured out who you are and that you're going home.
-Anonymous
Added: Aug. 14, 2009

4 years later-any updates at all on who might have done this? Were there any well known serial killers operating in the area then?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back