Identified! WI - Madison, WhtMale 18-35, 745UMWI, in chimney, fem clothing, German iron cross medallion, Sep'89 Ronnie Joe Kirk

Makes me wonder what business was in the building then, and if he had any connection to it.
The building at 5225 University Ave was built in the 1960s. The music store didn't move in until 1989. In the mid 80s, it was a Christian bookstore. Before that, it was a bakery, the Pastry Cart. I haven't found any info on its owners or renters prior to the bakery, but if I can get access to old phone books, something might turn up.

From the newspaper archives, there were a few more tidbits.
1948: his adoption was announced but no info on who adopted him
1959: the guardian of the estate of minor Ronnie Jo Kirk put his estate up for sale to the highest bidder; this one confused me.
1963: Angela L. Kirk files for divorce and child support from RJK; he would have been ~19 years old.

(RBBM) “Police disclosed Monday that Kirk was married and divorced twice, and he fathered children. But they declined to share further details, adding that his family has asked for privacy.”
View attachment 503441
This photo, provided by his family, shows Ronnie Joe Kirk in the early 1960s. Photo courtesy of the Madison Police Department

1957 OK: Article clipped from Tulsa World

1970 WI: Article clipped from Wisconsin State Journal
The 1957 article mentions that RJK was treated at the hospital for a fractured hip. That's a weird coincidence because the ME said his hip was broken at time of death. Maybe the old injury made his hip more vulnerable?

Do you know more about why that is? That is something I have never heard before.

Although I could see someone having ideas while manic such that climbing into a chimney "makes sense at the time."
IMO.

I had posted this in a different chimney death thread, but chimney deaths are a little more common than one would think.

I had posted this in a different chimney death thread, but chimney deaths are a little more common than one would think.

I remember that writeup for the Josh Maddux case, what a sad and strange incident that was... The author of the Reddit post quoted in this article was very articulate IMO, and obviously upset with the verdict given on the situation. Some truly baffling events.

Excellent work. I'm using UW's newspaper database right now and found the same 1970 summons. (The attorney representing Jacqueline Kirk, Dale R. Thompson, died in 2014). If they were placing summons in newspapers in 1970, it's possible that he went missing around that time.

I think he died much earlier than 1989.
I agree. I wonder if the hairstyle they gave the clay model, the kind of "pageboy" look, was based on any evidence or if it was a product of the artist's imagination, because that hairstyle screams late 60s-early 70s to me.

In 1970, he was accused of deserting his wife and child, per the Wisconsin State Journal. A court date was set in Madison, but Kirk never showed. This is "the most recent known record investigators have of him alive," per the outlet."Someone will remember him, and we'll do everything that we can to try to trace down if he worked here, if he lived here, or if he was just passing through," Barnes said, per WMTV

In 1970, he was accused of deserting his wife and child, per the Wisconsin State Journal. A court date was set in Madison, but Kirk never showed. This is "the most recent known record investigators have of him alive," per the outlet."Someone will remember him, and we'll do everything that we can to try to trace down if he worked here, if he lived here, or if he was just passing through," Barnes said, per WMTV
If he died in 1970, that’d make him 28 years old. Honestly, I kinda think that’s what happened now. Begs the question of how the bakery owners or whoever was previous to them never noticed a decomposing body in their building, surely there’d be some odour?

If he died in 1970, that’d make him 28 years old. Honestly, I kinda think that’s what happened now. Begs the question of how the bakery owners or whoever was previous to them never noticed a decomposing body in their building, surely there’d be some odour?
I think it would depend on how it was sealed off. If the chimney was bricked up, it'd be a pretty effective tomb.

They may have noticed but been unable to locate the source. Chimneys draft upwards, so possibly the odor vented away from the area where people were.

Interesting his three kids did not know each other until the police contacted them last year

Madison police spokesperson Stephanie Fryer said Kirk’s last confirmed contact with relatives was in 1970, when he divorced his second wife in Missouri. Fryer said Kirk’s children, two from his first marriage and one from his second, are in their 50s and did not know each other until investigators contacted them

Another interesting fact I have not see before. I wonder if they know which if this factory was in Madison.

“The newspaper reported that 1970 divorce documents showed Kirk was a factory worker and had deserted his wife and child. He never appeared in court”

IMO that's most likely, that it happened in or before 1970. I admit I am curious to know who was using the building before the bakery took over.

I'm in the process of re-reading the thread and the links as far as I am able (I'm in the UK) and the video linked in post #63, but meanwhile I've just looked on google maps and there are images of the music store in situ in 2007/2011 (it's gone by 2016). It seems like quite a low building and no obvious chimney unless it's obscured by the tree. I'm assuming this is the same building Ronnie was found in as opposed to a new building that was constructed after he was found.

I don't think he went into the chimney by choice.

IMO that's most likely, that it happened in or before 1970. I admit I am curious to know who was using the building before the bakery took over.

I'm in the process of re-reading the thread and the links as far as I am able (I'm in the UK) and the video linked in post #63, but meanwhile I've just looked on google maps and there are images of the music store in situ in 2007/2011 (it's gone by 2016). It seems like quite a low building and no obvious chimney unless it's obscured by the tree. I'm assuming this is the same building Ronnie was found in as opposed to a new building that was constructed after he was found.

I don't think he went into the chimney by choice.
This is how it looked in 1969. I believe the chimney was part of the boiler/furnace basement venting system.

It looks like retail/office space back then. May have been two buildings, but it's always been fairly small.
It's possible that there was a warehouse space behind this retail space.

Screenshot Capture - 2024-05-17 - 08-25-06.png

This is how it looked in 1969. I believe the chimney was part of the boiler/furnace basement venting system.

It looks like retail/office space back then. May have been two buildings, but it's always been fairly small.
It's possible that there was a warehouse space behind this retail space.

View attachment 504179
Thank you for finding this, much appreciated!

If he died in 1970 or 1971, his outfit is just a regular Hippie long paisley shirt, along with the shaggy vest and trenchcoat. Not a womans dress, even though 1970s fashion was wild and provocative.
His shoes are very 1969/1970. He absolutely died in 1970 or 1971, the latest

Last edited:
The building at 5225 University Ave was built in the 1960s. The music store didn't move in until 1989. In the mid 80s, it was a Christian bookstore. Before that, it was a bakery, the Pastry Cart. I haven't found any info on its owners or renters prior to the bakery, but if I can get access to old phone books, something might turn up.
You can try putting the address in the newspaper search. If it was retail, you may find an ad.

Phone books from the late 60's on up are hard to find.

If he died in 1970 or 1971, his outfit is just a regular Hippie long paisley shirt, along with the shaggy vest and trenchcoat. Not a womans dress, even though 1970s fashion was wild and provocative.
His shoes are very 1969/1970. He absolutely died in 1970 or 1971, the latest

Yeah, feels like he was already dead at his divorce proceeding that he no-showed for.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back