WI WI - Terri Erdmann, 15, Milwaukee, 24 June 1971

Updated 10.25.2023

More than 50 years after the murders of two young women, in 1966 and 1971, police say they know who killed them.

During a joint news conference Wednesday by the Menomonee Falls and Milwaukee police departments, officials said they have solved the 1966 murder of 19-year-old Diane Olkwitz and the 1971 murder of 15-year-old Terri Lee Erdmann.

Police named Clarence Mark Tappendorf as the man responsible for the murders of both young women. Local, state and federal officials came to that conclusion through the use of DNA evidence and forensic genealogy.

1698272834579.png
Diane Olkwitz and Terri Lee Erdmann, Milwaukee Police Dept.

Now the question should be how many others were there, and who were they? It is absolutely unbelievable that he would commit only two such gruesome murders - one in 1966, and the other five years later in 1971. There were others before, between, and after.

Now the question should be how many others were there, and who were they? It is absolutely unbelievable that he would commit only two such gruesome murders - one in 1966, and the other five years later in 1971. There were others before, between, and after.

Updated 10.25.2023

More than 50 years after the murders of two young women, in 1966 and 1971, police say they know who killed them.

During a joint news conference Wednesday by the Menomonee Falls and Milwaukee police departments, officials said they have solved the 1966 murder of 19-year-old Diane Olkwitz and the 1971 murder of 15-year-old Terri Lee Erdmann.

Police named Clarence Mark Tappendorf as the man responsible for the murders of both young women. Local, state and federal officials came to that conclusion through the use of DNA evidence and forensic genealogy.

What's ironic is that his own daughter was murdered in 1975 by someone high on LSD and his own son murdered his wife and then committed suicide.

markt.jpgpatti jo.jpgtappendorf.jpeg

Clarence Mark Tappendorf went by the name C Mark Tappendorf.

None

- stabbed 50 times, arms bound to her sides, raped

- lovers lane/woods near rr tracks - North Western Rd tracks east of Appleton Ave

- Terri was discovered at N5900 W9950 in the City of Milwaukee in a wooded area near railroad tracks. Terri had been sexually assaulted and died as a result of numerous stab wounds. Her sweater was pulled over her head, and her pants and underwear pulled down. The area where Terri was found was behind the old "Moreway" store located at 10100 W. Appleton Avenue. Other assaults had taken place at that location and that suspect may be the same individual who killed Terri.

MPD COLD CASE

http://php.wisinfo.com/mktg/unsolved_apc/

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...IBAJ&dq=mary ellen kaldenberg&pg=6810,1531960

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=BEwaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=higEAAAAIBAJ&dq=mary%20ellen%20kaldenberg&pg=5974%2C1543022

[url]http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=B0waAAAAIBAJ&sjid=higEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3959%2C3939773

[/URL]

Does anyone know the source of the info that other assaults had taken place there?

The August 9, 1971 Rhinelander Daily News reported that a man was charged with a similar crime at the same location that Erdmann was found. Francis P. Hemauer, 48, was charged with attempted murder, rape and abduction with a 1968 incident. The 15 year old West Side Milwaukee girl was abducted from a shopping center when she went to help a man start his car. He drove her to the same area Erdmann was found, where he raped her and stabbed her several times with a pocket knife.

Francis P. Hemauer was charged on Friday, Aug 9, 1971. The article doesn't state whether his arrest arose out of the Erdmann investigation.

He was released in 1981 after tests that weren't available in 1972 showed that blood stains on the victims clothing were from a man with type B blood. Hemauer's blood type was type A. The victim had identified him from police mug shots and a lineup.

I presume that the actual person who committed the rape and attempted murder looked similar to Hemauer? A case of mistaken identity?
Where there any other assaults at this location besides this one? I wonder if Tappendorf did this. I wonder what his blood type was? Sounds suspicious.

Tappendorf's family sure has quite a story. As they say, the truth is stranger than fiction. I see his wife died in 2017 so she's not around for this situation. It might be just as well, she'd obviously been through a lot.

Clarence Marcus Tappendorf​

BIRTH 16 Jul 1927 Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
DEATH 6 Jan 2008 (aged 80) Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA
BURIAL Holy Cross Cemetery and Mausoleum Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, USA
PLOT: Block 49 Lot 240 Grave 3

It is interesting to note that his daughter, Patti Jo died in 1975 at the age of 17. Could there be a connection with these other deaths?

LINKS:

Last edited:
erdmann-journal-pic.png

Excerpt from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in June 1971 detailing the death of Terri Erdmann. Photo credit: FindAGrave.com

Last edited:
Could there be a connection with the 1969 knife murder of Stephanie Casberg in Wisconsin?

Stephanie Marie Casberg, age 17, murdered 6 July 1969.

LINK:

It seems likely he at least attempted other murders. Of the two other cold cases in Menomonie Falls, one woman was suspected to be murdered by her boyfriend, and her remains never found, and the other was named Joyce Garder in 1981. I couldn't find much info on her murder, and she was 54, and killed in her home, facts which don't fit with his other two known crimes, but she was apparently stabbed, including in the heart, a fact I found interesting. But, I would assume they have probably ruled him out with DNA by now.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back