Widespread flooding from heavy rain in New York City and surrounding areas - 29 Sept 2023

ifindedout

Reaction score
Parts of New York were underwater on Friday morning as torrential rainfall caused flash flooding across the city.

A severe storm lodged over the city on Thursday night, leaving the five boroughs and parts of upstate New York, New Jersey and Connecticut under flood watchs and warnings.

New Yorkers were urged not to travel as the subway system largely shut down in the conditions, and vehicles were trapped by rising waters.

[...]

Two to five inches of rain have already fallen across the city, according to emergency management officials, and one to three more inches is expected in the next 24 hours. Forecasters said the expected rainfall rate is between 1-2.5 inches in the space of an hour in some areas.

Subway service suspended on several lines. Big bummer for people who have to get home from work! Some drivers on the busy FDR drive have abandoned their cars as the roadway is at a standstill. By 11am, 5 inches had fallen, and I can confirm it's been raining steady since then and is expected to keep raining for more hours.

Schools should have been closed with the forecast showing so much rain. Kids in the city don't necessarily attend schools in their own neighborhoods but use public transportation to get to school. Students are stuck at school and parents might be stuck at work.

jmo

Schools should have been closed with the forecast showing so much rain. Kids in the city don't necessarily attend schools in their own neighborhoods but use public transportation to get to school. Students are stuck at school and parents might be stuck at work.

jmo
If you look at the weather maps, this storm kind of got stuck along the coast and in NY Harbor...I do not think they knew where it was going to stall- a bit west it is relatively dry.
reminds me of the weird winter storms that dump on one town and 5 miles away there is little to nothing.

Subway service suspended on several lines. Big bummer for people who have to get home from work! Some drivers on the busy FDR drive have abandoned their cars as the roadway is at a standstill. By 11am, 5 inches had fallen, and I can confirm it's been raining steady since then and is expected to keep raining for more hours.

In addition to many subway suspensions, all MetroNorth lines are suspended in Manhattan and Bronx.

In addition to many subway suspensions, all MetroNorth lines are suspended in Manhattan and Bronx.

reminds me of the Sandy storm with the subways totally flooded
wonder if they are draining better now

@GusSaltonstall

The Central Park Zoo Sea Lion enclosure/pool has flooded and the sea lion's are swimming around the entirety of the space.
The Bronx Zoo and the adjacent New York Botanical Garden are bisected by the Bronx River and can be expected to have the same problem.

The Bronx Zoo and the adjacent New York Botanical Garden are bisected by the Bronx River and can be expected to have the same problem.
Maybe. There are hills in those parks, so perhaps will be okay. In Brooklyn, it looks like the low-lying areas are flooding with storm drains completely overwhelmed. In Manhattan, it's the low landfill areas that usually get the high water. The zoo in Central Park is below street level. Let's keep an eye out for the zoo and NYBG - good idea.

Photos of LaGuardia airport, which is located literally on the water:

Oh geez, they just spent a pretty penny on this new iteration of LGA, too. My sympathies to all the folks stranded (there or elsewhere in the city).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back