Wikileaks takes on the LDS AND Scientology!

I have a hard time believing that Scientologists threaten to kill people that want to leave.

I do believe that some scientologists have been killed, perhaps by other scientologists. I also believe some Americans have been killed by other americans over how patriotic they are or some catholics have been killed by other catholics. Just because every group has bad apples doesn't mean it is the group that is bad.

I have a hard time believing that any of these groups have a set of rules, a standard practice, or even a mob or gang mentality that you are not free to leave. Seems like another conspiracy theory. :doh:

LDS? Like Mormons? Why?
Because of the crazies tht claim marrying 14 year olds is OK?

The whole church is against that.

I actually think that publishing the LDS guidlines for transgressions is amusing. The world can see that the LDS don't believe in drugs, alcohol, unwed sex, abortions, etc. Seriously, who thinks this is so important to publish that they admittidly break copyright rules when you could ask a member or go to the LDS website. That is just silly.

A lot of people who find themselves entangled in cults and cult type organizations are ordinary people who were looking for answers and thought the teachings of <insert name here> cult could give them a better way to live.

Agreed. But Scientology does seem to help some folks. Not everyone involved is murderous and corrupt.

The Scientology outrage always intrigues me mightily. I don't mind that people think they are loons and want to see them suffer and cease to exist, but I still can't quite figure out why.

Plus - I've never satisfied myself completely in cult/religion debate.

And yes - I've read all the crazy stuff. Plus a friend of ours here has a brother who is a Scientologist and she has lots of inside scoop!

I have a hard time believing that Scientologists threaten to kill people that want to leave.

I do believe that some scientologists have been killed, perhaps by other scientologists. I also believe some Americans have been killed by other americans over how patriotic they are or some catholics have been killed by other catholics. Just because every group has bad apples doesn't mean it is the group that is bad.

I have a hard time believing that any of these groups have a set of rules, a standard practice, or even a mob or gang mentality that you are not free to leave. Seems like another conspiracy theory. :doh:

I'll go a step further and say I don't believe it.

Christians have killed more dissenters than Scientology has even had as members!

When I first joined WS, I was surprised the Mods allowed this religion to be bashed. It is a religion to those practicing it. I do not agree with them in their beliefs but it is none of my business what others do.

Lots of things are a religion to those practicing it. I don't think that makes them worthy of respect. If a group has practices and beliefs that are evil, bad, harmful, or just plain illegal, I don't think calling them religion entitles them to respect or freedom from criticism, even bashing.

Right. Some people find peace in very structured belief systems. I don't think most people who identify as Scientologists could be described as murderous or even corrupt.

Scientology makes many people nervous partly because their recruiting practice can be very aggressive and in your face so to speak.

As long as they've not harming people, stealing or engaging in other illegal practices then they should be given the respect or disrespect depending on your stance that any other religious group gets.

Agreed. But Scientology does seem to help some folks. Not everyone involved is murderous and corrupt.

The Scientology outrage always intrigues me mightily. I don't mind that people think they are loons and want to see them suffer and cease to exist, but I still can't quite figure out why.

Plus - I've never satisfied myself completely in cult/religion debate.

And yes - I've read all the crazy stuff. Plus a friend of ours here has a brother who is a Scientologist and she has lots of inside scoop!

When I first joined WS, I was surprised the Mods allowed this religion to be bashed. It is a religion to those practicing it. I do not agree with them in their beliefs but it is none of my business what others do.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Mods and many consider Scientology a cult and cult bashing is okay.

Lots of things are a religion to those practicing it. I don't think that makes them worthy of respect. If a group has practices and beliefs that are evil, bad, harmful, or just plain illegal, I don't think calling them religion entitles them to respect or freedom from criticism, even bashing.
Great post Details.:clap::clap::clap:

Right. Some people find peace in very structured belief systems. I don't think most people who identify as Scientologists could be described as murderous or even corrupt.

Scientology makes many people nervous partly because their recruiting practice can be very aggressive and in your face so to speak.

As long as they've not harming people, stealing or engaging in other illegal practices then they should be given the respect or disrespect depending on your stance that any other religious group gets.

Every religion I am familiar with has, in its history, incidences of harming people, stealing and/or illegal practices. So I guess they are all free game for disrespectful sentiment!

For what it's worth I refuse to engage in ANYMORE religion discussions on WS. It's not what I came here for. I came here to do what the name implies..get information and discuss crimes. Lately it's all about arguing..I for one am getting tired of it.

I don't think there's that much argument about religion here. I think it's more that we hear so many bad thing about adherents of particular religions or cults or groups that we've become cynical about people misusing religion to achieve their personal ends.

For what it's worth I refuse to engage in ANYMORE religion discussions on WS. It's not what I came here for. I came here to do what the name implies..get information and discuss crimes. Lately it's all about arguing..I for one am getting tired of it.

Then do what you came here to do!!!!!

There is a lot of religious debate - which I love. "Bashing" is often part of debate because people find some modes of worship evil, dangerous, illegal and/or insane and they can't help but speak out against that.

I feel safe quoting South because I know she is a poster that doesnt mind when others disagree. We could use about 50 more people with that mind set and have some great discussions!:dance:

South, you said that "Bashing is often part of debate because people find some modes of worship evil, dangerous, illegal and/or insane and they can't help but speak out against that"

If people find a religion insane or evil or any of the other things you mentioned above, they SHOULD speak out. Most definitely! I am just thinking that can be done w/o bashing. Bashing is when the emotion kicks in. Things become ALL bad or ALL good. There is nothing left to generate conversation with at that point.

I have seen some amazing conversations take place here at WS on incredibly difficult topics with strongly held opinions and no bashing. Those are the posters I am most impressed with. And that most especially includes the ones who are on the opposite side of the argument from me.

But I think that I am being idealistic, whereas South is being realistic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back