Will the defense quote from biblical scriptures during closing argument?

IDK...I voted ICA should get the death penalty...but I for my faith could not vote for it because of the scripture that states you should not put someone to death on the strength of less than two witnesses. So, I am never chosen for duty...they no likey the Shoelady.

I am not saying what you should or not do on the basis of your own religious beliefs; certainly not in the context of this trial at least.

Just putting it out there as a strategy, with this jury, for this defense team, for this case.

Knowing JB, he probably didn't even think of it, but after seeing this thread he will. I know they read here.

I know that personally I'd be offended if I were a juror and a lawyer quoted scripture to me, no matter what the passage was, but that's because I really don't like appeals to emotion when discussing things like science and law. They have a tendency to make me examine everything else that person says much more carefully. Hmmm...

Actually, on second thought, yes that would totally work... Definitely. Can't miss with quoting the bible. Heck you should just stand up there and read entire chapters. (Just in case you're reading here JB, I think you should go for it)

I think it would be extremely inappropriate and offensive for either side to quote Bible scriptures during closing arguments.

Also, if any of those jurors are like me, appealing to my emotions will turn me off to their "argument" real quick.

I am not saying what you should or not do on the basis of your own religious beliefs; certainly not in the context of this trial at least.

Just putting it out there as a strategy, with this jury, for this defense team, for this case.
IMO, it's offensive to use the Bible for strategy in a murder trial, and to be frank, I'm offended that anyone would think it's OK.

It seems like it'd be a bit much to focus an aspect of your closing argument on one juror. I mean, I understand that the assumption here in this scenario is that this juror could hang the jury. But it still seems really risky. If she was so prone to not vote guilty, according to this scenario, and JB was so invested in this that he'd quote Scripture, well, isn't it overkill? I mean, if he's so sure she's probably on his side, shouldn't he be spending his time targeting those who aren't? It would take an awful lot to vote against 11 other people, day after day after day, when you've been sequestered with them for so long. Also, if she was on the fence, and was offended by the quoting, it could blow up in his face.

Bottom line: it seems too risky in some ways, with too little pay off in return.

If they do I hope that their blasphemous a$$es combust on the spot. One thing that I do know...God is Always on the side of good. We will see this on the day of the verdict.

I think too much weight is being put on Juror #4. I also think any quoting from the bible done by the defense would be a huge mistake.

ITA. And do any of us know if Juror #4 is even one of the 12 -- it's possible that she is an alternate juror.

Has this been established or not???

I don't think we know much about juror #4 at all to figure out much about her (other than her crops in farmville must need watered LOL) they didn't even do the complete voir dire of her... all we know is that she said she had a hard time judging people but upon clarification by hhjp it was determined that she can follow the law.
:twocents:

That was very funny nusebeeme about farmville
I hope she had some friends to help her out .

Interesting topic. Although religion is controversial, we can't ignore many jurors faith in their decision to impose death. I know I would have a difficult time reconciling death vs thou shalt not kill. I am not surei could recommend death. Although I am not overly religious, doctrines are very much imprinted on my decisions due to education and upbringing. Knowing Baez, he may try to appeal to that side of the jury.

I doubt that the Defense would use Biblical Scriptures in their closing statements unless they want to hurt their Client further.......you can't just pick and choose certain words to help your case......everyone who knows reads or believes in the Bible knows the 10 Commandments :

If I was on the Jury and the Bible was being quoted to me in closing statement by the Defense, my first thoughts would simply go to the 10 Commandments and how I have seen evidence and heard the ways Casey has broken half of them.........

Thou Shalt Not Kill

Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness Against Thy Neighbor

Thou Shalt Not Steal

Thou Shalt Not Covet

Honor thy Father and Mother

Just don't see how this will help there case..........JMO

We know that jurors 1-12 are the actual jurors. The jury does not know who/which among them are jurors vs who are alternates.

I still say this whole speculation about juror #4 is sensationalism by the media.

The JURY instructions will require the jurors to measure the weight of evidence based on what was allowed in and their own personal experiences. The judge will ask them to render a verdict based upon the LAW that is applicable. Regardless if they believe the law is correct or fair, they are to render a verdict based upon that law - whether they agree with it or not. If the law states that certain things factor a murder into being premeditated or not, thus calling for the death penalty, and the jurors agree that the evidence shows this was premeditated, then that is how they legally must render their verdict.

I still say this whole speculation about juror #4 is sensationalism by the media.

Seriously. I think the judge was smart enough to realize that juror #4 probably only said what they did to get out of jury duty and he wasn't buying what the juror was selling. MOO.

No way...unless they are quoting from Revelations and insinuating that if the State puts ICA to death that they will be breaking a seal...

Look up the wh*re of Babylon and see if it at all relates to ICA. The color purple. The number 7. The fact that the word mystery is written on her forehead. (Spell that out with the letter of ICA's name). Scarlet. Lies. The ultimate traitor. I could go on and on...but I wouldn't quote scripture on this defendent. JMO. LOL.

Did you listen to her in jury selection? I did. This is not media sensation, let me assure you. The woman was asked about DNA and did not know what it was. She said she had no friends. She seemed to have a very simplistic grasp/view on things and it is very likely that none of the scientific evidence will mean anything to her.

Her decision IMO will be made by emotion only. I can only hope she saw ICA's behavior during the trial and the videos of ICA as horribly cold.

Still, I am putting my faith in Bill Shaeffer who says the juror #4 thing is a tempest in a teapot and that no one personality is strong enough to contest 11 others. He says at most she will maybe get the charge knocked down to a lesser verdict so they can all agree.

It would be a mistake if, for example, I was on that jury. It would immediately reduce any amount of credibility the defense may have left. (Of course, in this particular instance, we know they have no credibility--but I mean in general) All though after listening to CM's appeal for acquittal today, I wouldn't put it past JB. CM seemed a little fixated on the supposed "fantasy" of the prosecution's case. What bigger display of fantasy than to begin spouting off BIBLE passages???? No offense to believers, but come on.... if that's the biggest weapon in their arsenal, to appeal to the juror's fears, it's pretty telling that they have no case. Excuse the pun, but it would truly be a "Hail Mary"! :crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back