Will this trial suffer the same fate as OJ and Michael Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big difference is that KC cannot afford high priced attorneys who are able to twist the facts and play to the camera and sympathies of the jurors.

I think JB and Cheney like to think they are in this league, but their words and actions prove them otherwise (I actually feel sorry for their wives).

My favorite "strategy" of theirs is all their motion-filings. I wonder if they have comprehended that by trotting KC out at one hearing after another that a bad bad side effect is that they are enabling her to demonstrate to the horror of all who are watching her psychopathy and "consciousness of guilt" more than we could ever imagined?"

Mmmmm...:hand: I disagree that he proved that. I will 'till my dying day believe that Michael Jackson was a child molester who handsomely paid off his victims. Unfortunately Gavin's mother wasn't a good character witness, doesn't mean he wasn't victimized!:snooty:

I agree that he probably was victimized, even if not raped or molested, the whole scene was inappropriate for a mentor to subject a child to...Even Corey Feldman admitted that MJ showed him *advertiser censored* books.
That said, I think the jury took into consideration that we are in a litigious society these days, and their take was that the mom was in it for a buck down the road-IMO.
No buck to be gained from the state accusing KC of this crime. In fact, from what we've been told, the state stands to lose money on this trial.

I don't think that Casey is in any way, shape or form like OJ or Jackson. I also do not feel that a jury is going to say not guilty after all of the evidence has been presented. IMO The biggest hurdle for the defense team is the 31 days. It doesn't matter if the jury can't understand the science, if the defense tries to claim it as junk science, the defense team can not give a reasonable answer as to why Casey waited 31 days. Those 31 days will do her in.

MOO

big difference----our victim in this case is an innocent adorable 3 year old child.......the family may not step up for Kaylee but LE is, the SA is, and we and other citizens are. I think a just verdict will be given!!!!!

I don't think that Casey is in any way, shape or form like OJ or Jackson. I also do not feel that a jury is going to say not guilty after all of the evidence has been presented. IMO The biggest hurdle for the defense team is the 31 days. It doesn't matter if the jury can't understand the science, if the defense tries to claim it as junk science, the defense team can not give a reasonable answer as to why Casey waited 31 days. Those 31 days will do her in.

MOO

I agree and it seems to be a proven fact that Caylee's body was in the trunk...there's not much in the way of words that can dispel the impact of those two things!

i know that casey is no celebrity.. we all know that.. but that's just the opinions of WSers who come here every day to sound off...

i'm talking about the jury pool..
the media portrays her like she's some kind of celebrity. stalking her house, trying to capture every little gesture, blink, nod, smile frown, fart etc. there ARE people out there who actually think she's some kind of celebrity because she's all over the news.

i do agree and also think her defense team will ultimately end up screwing her just because they're such jerks... baez and mason aren't likable at all and are at times very rude and condescending.

My biggest concern about KC getting acquitted is the data and stats going into this trial. There will be a lot of them with the chloroform, hair banding, time of death. I was extrememly concerned after Dr. Vass's testimony that many online new reported completely mistated some of the stats that Dr. Vass used (the chloroform levels in comparison to the test sample). Being a statistician and knowing how hard it is to get people to comrehend what statistics mean, I worry that a lot of the technical evidence (and the implications of that) may go over the juror's head.

I think that was a big obstacle in the OJ trial that the prosecution couldn't overcome.

On the flip side though, there is a lot of non-technical evidence as well around her behavior at that time which will hopefully help.

THIS is what i'm afraid of also..
after reading hte depo and listening to the dr's testimony, i think the jurors are going to be left confused and not very confident in this new science.
any intelligent and somewhat rational person will know better... or anyone who's followed this case and discussed it will know better.. but the average joe nobody? i'm not very confident that these expert witnesses will make very good witnesses... not doubting them or their findings.. the defense just does a good job at confusing the subject.

nothing will make me happier than to hear the words "on count 1, first degree murder- we, the jury- find the defendant, casey marie anthony - GUILTY!
but i just have this nagging feeling she's gonna walk.. my husband made a very good point the other day after i made him sit thru a million videos of the DT in action.. we keep saying how stupid and incompetent jb and cm are... but they are doing exactly what they need to be doing.. they're actually very good lawyers, just big douchebags.
can i say douchebag here?

A big difference is that KC cannot afford high priced attorneys who are able to twist the facts and play to the camera and sympathies of the jurors.

I think JB and Cheney like to think they are in this league, but their words and actions prove them otherwise (I actually feel sorry for their wives).

My favorite "strategy" of theirs is all their motion-filings. I wonder if they have comprehended that by trotting KC out at one hearing after another that a bad bad side effect is that they are enabling her to demonstrate to the horror of all who are watching her psychopathy and "consciousness of guilt" more than we could ever imagined?"

It seems like they all have disparate approaches. There is NO cohesion on the DT.

Will this trial suffer the same fate as OJ and Michael Jackson?

Not with what I've seen thus far of the state prosecutors, expert witnesses, LE witnesses, and the magnanimous HHJP at the helm.

Oh, and not with the <giggle> DT, defense 'expert' witnesses, Anthony antics, and lack of a clear and consistent defense.

ITA with others who've stated Casey, far from being a famous person is quite the opposite: widely regarded with loathing for who she is.

If I were a believer in Astrology, I'd say the stars are properly aligned in the favor of that sweet precious baby that (tragically) never made it to 3 years of age. IMO.

Praying for Justice for Caylee.

Well for those that do believe in Astrology and the stars were lined up right, "how did that work out for you?"

OJ, Michael Jackson now Casey Anthony. It is all the same. It shows it has nothing to do with previous fame here. Only the intense media circus that poisons these cases. And people sense of common sense involved in the trials. Moving the trial to a new location was not a factor it seems. It is the media driven possibility of the 15 minutes of fame, the money from interviews and books that has some deep effect of the jurors. The lawyers. The judges. The intense scrutiny of the wide mass public view of the trials sure effected these trials. Whether people want to admit that or not.

The nasty bottom line is that the search for truth got lost in these cases. It was all about up holding the letter of the law, not the spirit of the law. And common sense died as a result.IMO And I have no solution to this problem. But yes, I fully agree our trials should be a fully open affair. Has anyone got a good idea on how to correct the problems associated and now proved with these "media events"???

wow, what a difference reading the hope, the optimisim, the logic we ALL had before 7-5-11....NOW, wow....to answer the question YES this trial suffered same fate..oj yes i believe was guilty..mj...i dont believe he did w/ THIS kid( mom history of trying to file bunk lawsuits against dept stores,ect) but no telling if there were others NOT in the case..but ica? wow. i figured if california got it right w/ scott peterson, death penalty, so would florida...boy howdy was i/ along w/ majority of the country WRONG>

She is literally in a different world from OJ, Robert Blake, Michael Jackson, etc in ever conceivable way.

A final point on my way to bed. No disrespect to the poster here at all. But his last point of his post here is interesting. It shows the belief that different States are so unique from one and other. Yet, we are all under the same constitution. And in today's modern cyber world, the line between States has disappeared. These type of confounding verdicts can and do happen every where in America. There are concussions to be drawn here for the future. And may we get them right and act upon them.

A final point on my way to bed. No disrespect to the poster here at all. But his last point of his post here is interesting. It shows the belief that different States are so unique from one and other. Yet, we are all under the same constitution. And in today's modern cyber world, the line between States has disappeared. These type of confounding verdicts can and do happen every where in America. There are concussions to be drawn here for the future. And may we get them right and act upon them.

I think that poster was talking more about how OJ, MJ, and Robert Blake were famous and wealthy before they went on trial, which probably played a role in the verdicts. I don't think they meant that California was the reason they were acquitted, but I may be mistaken. Casey may not have been famous or wealthy before the trial, but I think it was hard for the jurors to see her as a child murderer, just like the jurors in the OJ, MJ, and Blake cases couldn't see those men as murderers and child molesters because they had known about them for years before their crimes came to light.

Major reasons OJ got off: star-struck jury who refused to convict, the trial should have been held in Santa Monica- where the crime was committed-with a jury of his rich peers, rather than downtown L.A., Darden should never have had him "try-on" the glove in open court, Furhman's tapes should never have been admitted, and Ito should have recused himself because of a prior association with Johnny Cochran!!!
OJ's own attorneys knew he was guilty, but justified it to themselves under "moral cover".
Michael Jackson was also let off-the-hook by a star-struck jury as well, and the jury not believing the victim's mother.

Casey Anthony is no star or hero and her defense team is far from OJ's "Dream Team"!!!:twocents: She's far closer to Scott Peterson, who got the Death Penalty- yes Californians can get it right!!!
Boy, was I wrong!!! Who could've forseen this outcome???:banghead::behindbar:behindbar:behindbar

She wasn't rich, and she wasn't famous... But IMO, this will go down in history as one of the USA's more infamous trials..
It is an example of how humans can try very hard to have justice prevail, but if certain personality types are chosen and bond, it's a toss up.

I don't know what went wrong exactly but to me, it happened in jury selection and in the jurors time after court hours. I don't think they listened to the Judge about not talking to one another. I think that they formed a mini " Survivor" type island of comfort for themselves.. Probably emotional comfort as much or more than physical. I think they bonded in some ways.. we may never know how or why.

Partially the WHY is that they found Casey Anthony to be sympathetic. It has been pointed out that the DT had their seating changed so that the jurors were looking directly at Casey the entire time. I would think it definitely would be harder to sentence a person if/ after you had looked them in the face day after day.. That's human nature. I keep wondering if a forensic psychologist told the defense to do this moving of her positioning.

All in all, I think it is much worse than the M. Jackson verdict. He didn't kill any child as far as we know.

I wish I hadn't watched any of it. I have no more faith left in our CJ system. None at all.
OJ's trial took about half of my belief in our justice system away.
Casey's took the other half.

I want to move far away from the USA and never look back-- for reasons beyond this trial. I think our country is broken. I don't ever think it will be a great leader of people and ideads again. This is just one sign of the brokenness.

Maria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members