Woman Weighing over 500 Pounds Found Molded to a Chair Hadn't moved in a Year

Wonder if she was handling the "bills"
and getting those SSI checks cashed every month.
Disgusting. There is no excuse.

Now days most government checks are direct deposit and bills can be set up so that they are automatically paid on the due date. Taxes and insurance can be paid directly through their escrow account. They say you can now deposit other checks by taking a picture of it front and back with signature with your cell phone and forward it online to the bank. No one even needs to go to the bank unless they want some cash money.

If you search her god-daughter's name on Facebook you'll find comments from her where she essentially reacts to accusations that she did nothing to help her God-mother. No idea if true or not but god-daughter alleges that she was diabetic and manic-depressive. I read in one recent article that this poor woman was a Science teacher for 25 yers and retired in 1989.

If you search her god-daughter's name on Facebook you'll find comments from her where she essentially reacts to accusations that she did nothing to help her God-mother. No idea if true or not but god-daughter alleges that she was diabetic and manic-depressive. I read in one recent article that this poor woman was a Science teacher for 25 yers and retired in 1989.
I couldn't get on to her FB she must have locked it down.
BUT if you search for her and look at the articles in reference to her, she made a post to WTOL News 11 on FB.
Can't figure out how to directly link the post so I will quote it for you:
"You guys didn't tell anything near a real story about my godmother and her house. If I would of know all you would do is show the parts of the interview for drama and not the whole thing I never would of talked to you. All you ever do in any interviews is try to make someone look bad or like something happened because of them. My godmother house is pretty bad. Mostly just dirty and hoarded though (as far as I know). They won't tell me the actual condition after it was inspected yesterday. My godmother wouldn't go to a doctor or the hospital for at least 20 years. She don't like doctor's or hospitals. She was convinced she had a doctor that called her and diagnosed her over the phone. She's a diabetic and has manic depression. She wouldn't even get herself checked by doctors when she could drive. When I went to her house she never answered the door. I have up trying to get her to answer her door last year when me and my husband found out we were having a baby. I was being told she was ok and doing fine. I was lied to. I didn't make it there after my daughter was born last year in July cause she was 2 months early and in the hospital for almost 2 months so I was always there, always. And after she came home I had no time to go there cause of the constant appointments we had. She was also on a monitor for 2 more months after she came home. I was waiting til it got warm again so I could take my daughter there and my godmother could come outside to meet her. I have updates on her but I can't trust you to tell the truth so I'll tell someone else that wants to know like channel 24 or 13."

In the comment section she did also answer questions about her condition. Sh'e on a vent apparently now :(
I hope this link works!
https://www.facebook.com/wtol11/posts/10154148916141481

Such a sad story. I had a conversation with a friend who has dealt with extremely overweight shut ins, and her experience is that they have an emotional connection of dominance over those who bring them extreme amounts of food. It's so complicated. Like hoarders can't release possessions, people who are close relations of those disabled by obesity can't stop themselves from bringing food offerings. They're trying to appease.

Okay I can tell you I completely agree with LD! I can give you some idea actually. I had a elderly patient I took care of in the hospital during my clinical rotation years and years ago that had fallen in her home and broken both hips. She had a double hip replacement. VERY SWEET lady. This was in November. She was dismissed with her family to her home. Christmas holidays came and went and about mid February I noticed her name on the list of patients in the hospital again and I requested to have her again because I had grown to care for her. When I entered her room.... Good Lord. She hadn't spoken since re admission.
She was so frail and close to death. The smell was horrid. I cried and she cried and she finally spoke after the third day. She told me what happened.
Her family dropped her off at the house in a wheel chair and just left her there. Sitting in the wheel chair. She couldn't walk but could barely get herself to the sink to drink water. She sat in her wheelchair the whole time by the sink. Occasionally a family member would bring her by a plate of food but refused to help her clean up, move, anything. Of course they would always stop by to make sure she signed her SSI check so they could cash it. She finally made her way to a phone by dragging herself. Called 911.
They were arrested for abuse and other charges. She was covered in bed sores so deep you could see bone. Sepsis the whole nine yards just as LD stated. Her hips had fused basically and after a few days stabilizing her she was sent off to a specialty rehab and actually survived. She ended up losing both legs though sadly. I saw her a year later and she was so happy to see me! I couldn't believe she even remembered me! She was doing well and only in the hospital for routine blood work.
Now there HAD to be others aware of this woman's situation.
Who was paying her bills? Did she have electricity and running water?
Someone was deliberately ignoring this woman. Someone had to be getting her water at least. Her weight staying at that amount is horrid!
She definitely wasn't getting up though on her own if her bones were breaking when they moved her. There had to be someone else helping this poor soul. There was a story not long ago about a lady's son being found dead in her home and had been there for a while unnoticed due to her hoarding. It's truly heartbreaking.
I can bet someone was cashing her checks too.
Makes me so sad thinking about what people are capable of. How can you turn your eyes away when someone is like that?
I honestly don't think it was as long as they are saying. She would have passed already due to congestive heart failure or a blood clot if not sepsis. JMOO

You are absolutely correct. After many years of working closely with the Public Guardian's Office I'm confident there is much more to this story. I hope they follow the money trail and prosecute any and every person or organization that can be found guilty of elder neglect/abuse. I certainly hope her care has now been remanded to the State. The reality is that bills were not being paid because the house had no running water. She also would have been receiving a pension from her 25 years working as a teacher as well as collecting either SSI or Disability. Where was that money going? Her meals were being brought in by church volunteers and the house was in a state of disrepair, so clearly money was not being spent to maintain or improve her living conditions. Did she have any legal heirs? Who had been handling her affairs (paying bills, gathering mail, removing empty food and beverage containers, etc.) Had there been a will made or documents drawn to provide for the disposition of her assets upon her death? Fortunately, the world is filled with kind and caring individuals and charitable organizations. Sadly, there are far too many cases where someone has been neglected and the intentions were nefarious. Elder abuse is prevalent as our population ages and it infuriates me. :stormingmad:

You are absolutely correct. After many years of working closely with the Public Guardian's Office I'm confident there is much more to this story. I hope they follow the money trail and prosecute any and every person or organization that can be found guilty of elder neglect/abuse. I certainly hope her care has now been remanded to the State. The reality is that bills were not being paid because the house had no running water. She also would have been receiving a pension from her 25 years working as a teacher as well as collecting either SSI or Disability. Where was that money going? Her meals were being brought in by church volunteers and the house was in a state of disrepair, so clearly money was not being spent to maintain or improve her living conditions. Did she have any legal heirs? Who had been handling her affairs (paying bills, gathering mail, removing empty food and beverage containers, etc.) Had there been a will made or documents drawn to provide for the disposition of her assets upon her death? Fortunately, the world is filled with kind and caring individuals and charitable organizations. Sadly, there are far too many cases where someone has been neglected and the intentions were nefarious. Elder abuse is prevalent as our population ages and it infuriates me. :stormingmad:
Amen!!!
It's truly heartbreaking!
Heck someone had to be removing all the debris around her or it would have consumed her by now. The ammonia smell alone. :(

I agree with everything you wrote. This is such a heartbreaking story. I haven't commented until now because it's so upsetting to me. I hope this woman recieves compassionate care and knows true kindness for the time that she has left.

I think it was already mentioned; but I suspect follow the money might show what the situation really is. Seniors with employer funded pensions are like a double jackpot to money grubbers. It's happened several times in my family.

I think it was already mentioned; but I suspect follow the money might show what the situation really is. Seniors with employer funded pensions are like a double jackpot to money grubbers. It's happened several times in my family.
You are exactly right!
There's usually a family member or close friend who is responsible. Seen it more than I care to even think about.
Whomever is making routine visits to a shut in like this poor lady HAS THE RESPONSIBILITY speak out and get her help immediately. There are home care nurses and such that can come out and bath her, clean for her, cook for her and help with almost everything. There's no excuse for any of this. I'm sorry but I do hold the volunteers responsible to a degree for not reporting her living conditions immediately. It only takes ONE call. Some may disagree with me but they did have a responsibility as a human being to see that she got the help she needed. One call to social services would have gotten her the help she needed.
She was left basically to eat herself to death and live in her own filth.
Honestly if it was my family member, I'd clean out the dang house even if she didn't like it! She needed someone to put their foot down and care for her properly. The guy saying she even kept pizza boxes for art projects?? WTH.
It's not like she was getting out of the chair to stop you. I know it sounds cruel to say but they should've backed a truck up to her door and got rid of all that nastiness and hoarding. She obviously couldn't do anything with it in her condition anyways.
I know she has rights, but family sometimes NEEDS to step in and do what is right for her to provide her with safe living conditions. I'd put ear buds in crank up the music and clean even if she fussed and screamed at me. I'd do it out of LOVE. No judge in their right mind would say you did her wrong by cleaning up her home and getting her a safe environment.
There are elderly that have been dead for years and family members hide it to continue to get their checks. Happens all the time. It's disgusting how people can treat someone like that and still sleep at night.
You CALL and get help! She should've been in a nursing facility that would provide her the proper care and nutrition. She needed to be on a diet to help her lose some weight so she could safely begin moving around again and get active and social with others. The saddest thing is, when I worked at a nursing home for 8 years, and we had very overweight patients and they were dying because of that weight, family and friends would STILL sneak in and bring them food.
I swear on a bible once I had a patient that had a family member bring him a BUCKET of chicken AND one of those MASSIVE packs of red hotdogs. He ATE IT ALL within 20 min. Plus he was diabetic...
It's like they WANT them to die I swear! Breaks my heart!

Yes , the EMTs must ask permission, but if they do not get it and they believe the patient needs too be hospitalized they can call out the police to intervene. That will then result in Social Services intervention.

Mar 17, 2017 08:22 PM

TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - A Springfield Township woman who was rescued after being stuck in her chair for a year has died.

Barbara Foster, 75, spent a month at the University of Toledo Medical Center before she passed.

Foster was found molded to her chair and surrounded by feces. But what led up to her horrific situation remains a mystery.

The Lucas County Sheriff's Office closed their investigation without filing any charges regarding Foster's care.

Adult Protective Services and the Area Office on Aging handle similar cases, but they must be notified first.

Situations where individuals do not want help or not in a position to seek help are especially hard one these agencies.

"The Area Office on Aging provides services to older adults that are interested in receiving services to help them live long, quality independent lives," said Justin Moor of the Area Office on Aging. "We're not in a position to force feed services on anybody."

A funeral service is scheduled Monday for Barbara Foster at Coyle Funeral Home.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I couldn't get on to her FB she must have locked it down.
BUT if you search for her and look at the articles in reference to her, she made a post to WTOL News 11 on FB.
Can't figure out how to directly link the post so I will quote it for you:
"You guys didn't tell anything near a real story about my godmother and her house. If I would of know all you would do is show the parts of the interview for drama and not the whole thing I never would of talked to you. All you ever do in any interviews is try to make someone look bad or like something happened because of them. My godmother house is pretty bad. Mostly just dirty and hoarded though (as far as I know). They won't tell me the actual condition after it was inspected yesterday. My godmother wouldn't go to a doctor or the hospital for at least 20 years. She don't like doctor's or hospitals. She was convinced she had a doctor that called her and diagnosed her over the phone. She's a diabetic and has manic depression. She wouldn't even get herself checked by doctors when she could drive. When I went to her house she never answered the door. I have up trying to get her to answer her door last year when me and my husband found out we were having a baby. I was being told she was ok and doing fine. I was lied to. I didn't make it there after my daughter was born last year in July cause she was 2 months early and in the hospital for almost 2 months so I was always there, always. And after she came home I had no time to go there cause of the constant appointments we had. She was also on a monitor for 2 more months after she came home. I was waiting til it got warm again so I could take my daughter there and my godmother could come outside to meet her. I have updates on her but I can't trust you to tell the truth so I'll tell someone else that wants to know like channel 24 or 13."

In the comment section she did also answer questions about her condition. Sh'e on a vent apparently now :(
I hope this link works!
https://www.facebook.com/wtol11/posts/10154148916141481

She has a godmother who was a teacher and her grammar is appalling.

Someone had to have known what was going on the whole time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back