Working w/Authorities

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to sleuthing, but have a small background through reading about cases, reading about profiling, and studying abnormal psychology--none of this in a formal setting though.

One thing I would like to see here is a forum dedicated to questions and answers for new sleuthers. There are tried and true methods to go about sleuthing, and then there's the trial and error method of a new sleuther. People need to know things, probabilities, how and what to question, what constitutes a good lead, and how to identify a garbage lead, etc.

And before I finish up this post, I wanted to say something about contacting LE. I would suggest that a designated person from each case here, write to the detectives assigned to a case after first calling to ask the name of those assigned to work a particular case.

Then these guys and gals can do their job, and respond when they have a free moment to do so. Give them your phone number & let LE make the call.

I am new to sleuthing, but have a small background through reading about cases, reading about profiling, and studying abnormal psychology--none of this in a formal setting though.

One thing I would like to see here is a forum dedicated to questions and answers for new sleuthers. There are tried and true methods to go about sleuthing, and then there's the trial and error method of a new sleuther. People need to know things, probabilities, how and what to question, what constitutes a good lead, and how to identify a garbage lead, etc.

And before I finish up this post, I wanted to say something about contacting LE. I would suggest that a designated person from each case here, write to the detectives assigned to a case after first calling to ask the name of those assigned to work a particular case.

Then these guys and gals can do their job, and respond when they have a free moment to do so. Give them your phone number & let LE make the call.

Thank you for that point, justthinkin. I think that our best practices have always tried to include taking a consensus before taking that kind of action. For example, on the MJD/Tawni Lee Mazzone case, a sleuther obtained the reports and the photos. He was the main contact with the detective involved in the case. So when we had a question for the detective, we asked FMW63 and he passed it along-this prevented us from looking like the "keystone cops" and falling all over each other as we all called to get our questions answered, lol...

What are your suggestions about contacting LE and/or ME? It would be helpful to have someone discuss navigating these agencies. I'm not sure I would even know where to start. Any advice?

i am a little late on the advice, but never hesitate to call the investigator and ask about a case that you are interested in. they won't give you anything that will hurt the case, but they can update what they know and you can ask questions about the case.
(however, i have to add, this advice does not apply to high profile cases like hc or ca.)

There was a huge law article in our newspaper today about
Madison, WI legislative just past a law which limits records access.....How will that effect websites like this?

Thank God, I checked with Criminal records.com..I know All about certain nieghbors... Interesting, thats all I will say and by the way a buddy cop friend told me about the site for doing just that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member