Would you be frightened being left in a remote trailer with two little kids at night?

Would you be frightened being left in a remote trailer with two little kids at night?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 130 31.5%
  • Not with a dog.

Votes: 53 12.8%
  • Not with a security system, a gun, and a dog.

Votes: 81 19.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Responding again to the title of this thread: No, I wouldn't be afraid in a trailer park where there were some next door neighbors home, and my brother lived very near and came over at all hours of the day and night (sarcasm). Also who had a pit bull that could raise the roof if it heard screaming or carrying on. Tommy admitted being at the trailer that night, and Joe says the whole bunch took off in the van and headed over there late after getting a call from Tommy. I still believe my theory that Hayleigh was "found" outside the trailer on that path by the water when Misty came home and that Jr. saw it all. Misty had some guys over and left with them. A man dressed all in black with squeaky shoes came in and took Haleigh, then Misty later tried to make her story fit Jr.'s with the whole crew being there and crying going on and Haleigh being put into something and taken away. Misty did say that Tommy did something to her when she was little. She also said the same about Joe, who would also have been a smaller child, but Tommy would have been a young teen. Older than both kids. Joe is probably able to answer a lot of questions if he's not too afraid of getting charged with a murder pinned on him.
I missed JO saying the whole bunch went over there. Did he go too?

Yep, I agree, shadow. I used to live "sorta" in the country. It was out in the boonies, surrounded by woods, there were only three houses on our street. I miss it. You are right about the stars. My son and I lived there alone after my ex and I split up. whenever we knew there was going to be a meteor shower or something cool, we would take our sleeping bags out to the driveway and watch the sky and sleep out there (with my dog!). We also used to be able to see all sorts of wildlife, which I miss. We always looked forward to "bat time" we called it. At dusk when the bats would come out and swoop over your head. We had raccoons, armadillos, rabbits, squirrels, peacocks, turkey vultures, turtles - it was awesome. Not so much wildlife in suburbia.
In my suburbia, there is: raccoons, squirrels, deer, screech owls, turkey vultures, wild turkeys, and an occasional mountain lion. Where I used to live, more urban, we still had opposums!

Knowing what i know now, as in the positioning of the MH, i am not of the opinion that the MH is actually in a "remote" spot. It is in a community. Plenty of neighbors around. within walking distance. So, i don't think i would be scared. JMO

I voted yes, but have lived in a moutain cabin where I was surrounded by seasonal homes. Meaning we were the only full timers during the week and it was skeery. No street light and surrounded by wild animals. We even had a bear who tried to get in one night. Not to mention the snowy nights when the power would go out! EEK.

Also, DH worked away during the week and it was just me and my DS.

Dayum - no wonder we moved back to San Diego. I was tired of the nervous breakdowns. :)

Mel

I have lived in the "boonies" for 11 years now and have never been scared. I was always scared when I lived in town. We weren't in a particularly bad part of town, but there was a lot of gang activity all around (it was rampant in the town in which I lived). It was not unusual to hear gunshots in the early hours of the morning and I even had the back windshield of my vehicle shot out when it got in the way of some dueling gang members. I would make a call to the police, listen to the scanner to hear the dispatcher send out the details, and wait patiently by a window to see if the police ever came...they rarely did. Give me the quiet and solitude of the country any day of the week!

I guess I just don't understand what's supposed to be REMOTE about this residence:

Remote.jpg

The residences on either side were 35' and 58' away.

I voted yes, but have lived in a moutain cabin where I was surrounded by seasonal homes. Meaning we were the only full timers during the week and it was skeery. No street light and surrounded by wild animals. We even had a bear who tried to get in one night. Not to mention the snowy nights when the power would go out! EEK.

Also, DH worked away during the week and it was just me and my DS.

Dayum - no wonder we moved back to San Diego. I was tired of the nervous breakdowns. :)

Mel

Well, that does sound "skeery" but kinda neat. You have so many memories to share....WOW!!

Well, that does sound "skeery" but kinda neat. You have so many memories to share....WOW!!
My husband and I managed and were the caretakers for a pretty big camp...an olympic sized pool, cabins, bathrooms galore, a lodge, an office, a pond, and lots of woods. What was weird, was that it was in the worst neighborhood in town, but it was pushed back from the road, and surrounded by fence. The spring and summer months were hopping, but, the winter months were scary. My husband bought a gun for protection. A realator brought a man to look at the property, and I could tell by looking at him, he didn't have that kind of money. He took a look-see through our house, (something no other prospective buyer had done), and then was on his way. I got the strange feeling that he was scoping out the layout, so he could see which room belonged to my preschool daughter. From that night on, she slept on the couch, while I watched tv. I slept a few hours after she went to school. Another day, I walked to the pond, and at the edge of the woods, was a still half burning campfire. Whose was it, and where had he gone? I always felt like eyes were watching, so my nightly walks came to a screeching halt. Another time, I caught a man walking right by our driveway, with a machete. When I asked him what he was doing, he said he had business to tend to!!! All of this within a few weeks of each other. No job, is worth that kind of fear, so we moved, and I've never been so glad to scram, in my life. Anyway, we had neighbors, but I felt so isolated...a very weird combination.

I used to live in a very remote, wooded area on Valley Forge Mountain. My husband travelled internationally, and I would be left alone with my two children and dogs. We had no street lights, AND we had a peeping tom. Our house was a comtempory (practically all glass) so it was always a challenge to keep his prying eyes out. We all, including the police, knew who it was. He lived a few neighorhoods over, wiith children, and was a Boy Scout leader.

Finally my husband bought me a .22. One night (after hundreds of nights) I heard him trying to open my front door. I don't know where I got the nerve but I went to the door, flung it open. He ran through our woods and I yelled, "halt or I'll shoot." He didn't stop, so I emptied the gun in the woods, called the police. I hadn't shot him, but when the police came to my house, they said, "If you ever do shoot this basta_d, pull him into your house.

It was so scary being a young mother and to lie in bed, not wanting to move because I heard "him" and then in the next second you're like a mother bear, my God, my children. And off I had to go.

I used to live in a very remote, wooded area on Valley Forge Mountain. My husband travelled internationally, and I would be left alone with my two children and dogs. We had no street lights, AND we had a peeping tom. Our house was a comtempory (practically all glass) so it was always a challenge to keep his prying eyes out. We all, including the police, knew who it was. He lived a few neighorhoods over, wiith children, and was a Boy Scout leader.

Finally my husband bought me a .22. One night (after hundreds of nights) I heard him trying to open my front door. I don't know where I got the nerve but I went to the door, flung it open. He ran through our woods and I yelled, "halt or I'll shoot." He didn't stop, so I emptied the gun in the woods, called the police. I hadn't shot him, but when the police came to my house, they said, "If you ever do shoot this basta_d, pull him into your house.

It was so scary being a young mother and to lie in bed, not wanting to move because I heard "him" and then in the next second you're like a mother bear, my God, my children. And off I had to go.
I know that feeling well. We were living in a trailer, and my husband worked nights. One night, I heard voices, and somone prowling around on our front porch. I yanked that door open, and screamed at the top of my lungs, "GET OFF MY PORCH!!!" It was a cat! I screamed so loud, that I woke up the whole neighborhood, and I stood there and watched all of their house lights pop on. My whole body shook for almost 2 hours, and the next day, I was so hoarse, I couldn't speak. But I was determined, to keep whoever it was, out of my house. And those voices, I heard? It was coming from my daughter's virtual nano pet, wanting to be fed, lol. She had left it in a window sill, and it sounded just like whispering, coming from outside. But, that experience taught me, that I was the type, to go down fighting, and strangely enough, it empowered me. I'm one to stay up most of the night, so it would be almost impossible, for a prowler to get in, unannounced. Another night, in another house, I was laying on the couch, and saw our doorknob, slowly turning. I jumped up, turned on the lights and yelled for my husband. We also had a neighborhood peeping tom, and a neighbor had caught him looking in our bathroom window, earlier in the week. And this was one of the best, quietest neighborhoods in town. Not too long ago, 2 thugs broke into an elderly couple's home in my town, and killed the man, (who barely had time to wake up). They then raped and kidnapped the lady and threw her in the trunk of her car, and took off. Where they were taking her, I don't know, but she managed to escape from the trunk, and drive herself off, after they stopped and went into a house. She found the police station, and of course, they didn't believe her, (sigh), but then they saw where she had been duct taped. The cops found those 2 idiots, walking down a country road. As they were hauling them to the station, one of the guys made up and sang a rap song, about what he had just done...all recorded. He got the death penalty, and his mother, slept during his trial. (another sigh} Anyway, the victims were intheir 80s, and this woman is my hero.

WOW, again. The things we have to prove as mothers, not just love, kindness, et al., but especially in this day and age, PROTECTION!!!!

I guess I just don't understand what's supposed to be REMOTE about this residence:

Remote.jpg

The residences on either side were 35' and 58' away.

I totally agree with you Papa. I've commented the same sentiment. This MH was not in a remote area, all alone. It is located in a subdivision neighborhood with plenty of families living nearby. Where did the idea come from that the Mh was in a remote area?:waitasec:

I've traveled extensively throughout my career, most times through some very isolated areas and late at night. Except when traveling by air, I always had my two friends with me, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. They came in handy a couple of times. Don't know what I would have done without my two friends.

I totally agree with you Papa. I've commented the same sentiment. This MH was not in a remote area, all alone. It is located in a subdivision neighborhood with plenty of families living nearby. Where did the idea come from that the Mh was in a remote area?:waitasec:

Let me just add my :twocents:, this is not a remote area. However, the area is certainly not the best to be raising children. As I have said, we had one pervert in our neighborhood, but apparently, there in Putnam County they had many.

Not only that, think of John Merchant (b_rf), and other LE who couldn't, or wouldn't solve this crime. These people who committed this crime were not professionals, they were the downtrodden, and not sophisticated to say the least.

Those surrounding them were terrified to come forth and offer any piece of evidence to LE. Perhaps it was the Mexicans (that RC supposedly had a big problem with,) perhaps LE itself, and maybe the motor cycle gang, who knows at this point? And, then you have the famlies, the friends, the neighbors. Either everyone is in collusion or terrified. NO, I never would place myself in THAT mobile home part!!

Let me just add my :twocents:, this is not a remote area. However, the area is certainly not the best to be raising children. As I have said, we had one pervert in our neighborhood, but apparently, there in Putnam County they had many.

Not only that, think of John Merchant (b_rf), and other LE who couldn't, or wouldn't solve this crime. These people who committed this crime were not professionals, they were the downtrodden, and not sophisticated to say the least.

Those surrounding them were terrified to come forth and offer any piece of evidence to LE. Perhaps it was the Mexicans (that RC supposedly had a big problem with,) perhaps LE itself, and maybe the motor cycle gang, who knows at this point? And, then you have the famlies, the friends, the neighbors. Either everyone is in collusion or terrified. NO, I never would place myself in THAT mobile home part!!

There aren't too much many area where there aren't at least one pervert -- unless it's a really remote area and the pervert ain't found it yet.

Good post, you hit the nail right on the head. I do believe, however, you left out the local small-time crooks and drug dealers. All the way around, even though this trailer wasn't 'remote' by any stretch, it sure was on an island surrounded by evil of one sort or another. In my opinion, of course.

I have to agree with several of the posters, this just doesn't seem to be remote to me at all. I am alot more comfortable in the less populated areas.... I stay prepared and alert to sounds and lights... not in a nervous way... just anything but quiet is out of ordinary!! My dogs alert to animals and strangers long before they are close enough to harm, they let me know when my husband turns off the highway on his way home a good 5 minutes before he is in the drive!

(ok maybe 4 minutes!!)

4Jacy and Trident....

'CHEERS' ladies!!! from the lower echelon of society here in Satsuma Florida!!!
224031_10150172285923605_337541338604_6757658_4286886_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members