Would you lie in court to save your child? CLOSED FOR REVIEW

Would you lie to save your child's life?

• Yes

Votes: 100 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 261 47.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 191 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter and I are both following the trial, have both followed the case all along. She has a five year old. Just the other day she asked me this very question.

I told her that no matter how the baby's death had happened, I would have a very difficult time with the situation because of the death penalty being involved.

I have wished time and time again that the Prosecutors had NOT made this a death penalty case! But just the other day I heard an attorney explaining why they did that. That it is a strategy so they could try the case before "death penalty qualified" jury. I guess figuring that a death penalty qualified jury would have a tendency to vote guilty on the higher level of crime than a non-death penalty qualified jury.

I think I would have a very, very hard time with the idea of contributing to my child being put to death. So I guess I am saying I might lie. And I'm not proud of saying that, I'm just being realistic.

My mother and I had this same conversation last week. I have been following this case since the very beginning, she only started when the trial began. Her answer was (after much thought and back and forths)~ "You never know what you would do for your kids as a mother." My response was "I hope you would pick your grandchildren over me if I killed one of them." I have a 13 yr old, almost 2 yr old, and one due at then end of this month. I can't say what I would do either as a mother, but I know one thing: I DESPISE lying and liars and am raising my kids NOT to lie. Even about the smallest things. If my oldest lies about something, he has a consequence. I know teenagers tend to tell little white lies, but I make sure I let him know MOM knows he is lying and call him out. I just don't think I could protect my child if he KILLED another human being, let alone his or hers own offspring. I could never look at them the same. However, I guess my mother is right. You never know what you will do as a mother for your children. Excluding ICA... She doesn't deserve the title "Mother".

My mom told me at 14 if I got PG out of wedlock, he better have lots of $. She would kick me out and disown me! So... nope she would never lie for me! My dad probably would.
I would never disown my child (or threaten to) but they also know while I might not "turn them in" I would NOT lie for them for killing ANY memeber of our family PERIOD.

If my child were on trial for her life, I would have BEGGED her to plea..then to get a new attorney if she didn't plea....then I would beg the jury to spare her life...And no way would I make up horrendous stories. I would admit that she lies and has emotional problems. First, I would have to admit that to myself. That, IMO, is one of the big problems in this case.

My mother, who possessed many of the characteristics of ICA, would have testified for the state (making up lies that she genuinely believed) to see me convicted.

However, that being said, the thing about mental illness is that you NEVER know what they will say. They change like chameleons. And they can be very convincing. She would have perjured herself, but only to garner more attention for herself. She would have made herself the victim, the only victim.

Needless to say. I did not maintain a relationship past the age of 18 and when she died (30 years later) I did not attend her funeral (neither did my brother).

Interesting thread!

Respectfully,
BeagleMom

So sorry for you BeagleMom, at least you turned into a well adjusted adult!

Twenty-three years ago I had to choose between my daughter and my granddaughter.

I was sure that my daughter's lifestyle would eventually lead to extreme harm or even death for my granddaughter. I had two choices...either ignore my fears and hope for the best or fight to get custody of my granddaughter which would result in losing my daughter.

I chose the later. I filed for emergency custody at 1pm and the judge signed it at 8pm ... same day! Four years later the same judge signed my adoption petition.

My thinking was this: My daughter was an adult and was able to make choices, my granddaughter didn't have a choice...she was a helpless infant.

From the beginning of this case I have seen my daughter in ICA. What I have been unable to understand is why CA or GA didn't think Caylee was at risk???

And now, with all these facts placed before them, they still support ICA...I just don't get it!! In my opinion, they should focus on Caylee and, for the first time ever, allow the law to hold ICA accountable for her actions.

I have no doubt about this: If I refused to ride with them to the police station, either of my parents would have made a report & said "come get her". My mother would write me off, no contact, no support. My daddy would be at my side, saying he loved me but I would have to face the consequences.

If I had knowledge my son had killed his child, I would like to think I would take the same approach as my dad. I cannot imagine completely turning my back on my own child. I guess I would have to visit him in prison, nothing could undo the mother/child bond.

I grew up with a neighborhood guy who killed his wife & told everyone she had just left. A few years later, it became known what really happened (national news). Bless his sweet little mother's heart, she has made a 400 mile round trip once a month for 20something years to see him for a few hours. He has actually had some success in teaching & research/writing while incarcerated which helps her accept that otherwise, he threw his life & education away by taking the life of another who was loved by so many. I've always thought their story would be a good book or movie...... ok, way off topic... sorry.

I am hoping with ALL my heart that George will not lie when he goes up on the stand and realize this if FOR CAYLEE...... but I have a strange feeling George is being pushed by Cindy to lie for the sake of their daughter. ICA is an adult and she deserves whatever she gets but a little 3 year old didn't ask to be born, and certainly didn't ask to be killed. Someone needs to protect Caylee and that is now left ONLY to George as the other two family members are all about themselves. Sorry to vent, but this case has been my life day and night and I am getting sick from it.... but just can't tear myself away from watching every SECOND of this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member