'Wrong' woman given abortion after nurse 'mixed up two patients' first names'

"The first woman attended the Calthorpe Clinic in Edgbaston, Birmingham - which offers abortion, sterilisation and vasectomy - in October, 2006."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1036284/Wrong-woman-given-abortion-nurse-mixed-patients.html

I took the above quote from the article out of context. I have to say, that this case is terrible, but the woman was at an abortion clinic. My initial thought was that this is someone that wanted to keep the baby. My outrage would have been tremendous if that were the case.

"After taking the drug, the woman commented on how quick the whole process had been and left the clinic."

This case is a mess.

I would never take any pill from a nurse without asking what it was for, especially since she wasn't there for any treatment supposedly, just a consult. A simple "What's this for?" would have prevented this mistake from turning out the way it did.

Errors in hospital happen "all the time" leading in some cases to a person death.

Look up the stats, it is not as rare as you think it is.

Now if this women had a "history" of giving out wrong medication, a history of negligence, the I agree she should be struck off the register.

But mistakes and a error in judgment happen more then we would like to know. Humans are not perfect....neither are doctors and nurses.

Errors in hospital happen "all the time" leading in some cases to a person death.

Now if this women had a "history" of giving out wrong medication, a history of negligence, the I agree she should be struck off the register.

But mistakes and a error in judgment happen more then we would like to know. Humans are not perfect....neither are doctors and nurses.

I agree with you, Cyber.

Yes, and in those cases the doctors or nurses could lose their license for negligence.

There is a huge difference between an isolated mistake, error in judgment, then negligence.

I have yet to meet someone who has never made a mistake, will never make a mistake or is perfect.

This is not a case for negligence......

I know ill probably be creamed by some for this but.......,
I am a critical care nurse. I have been a nurse for over 15 years. I am a damn good nurse too! I have made a med error and not once either. Every time it has been an OMG ! Heart wrenching. The guilt you could not even begin to understand what this does to a person ( a consciousness one any ways). I have not met a person in the medical field that hasn't made some kind of error at least once in their career ....be it a doctor who misses a symptom or prescribed the wrong med or a pharmacists who mixes a lethal dose of a med ,radiologist who misses a lump ,xray tech who xrays the wrong foot or a nurses aid who takes blood from the wrong person. What people need to remember is that we aren't machines. doctors aren't gods ( speaking of which do you know how many times a patient has said to me "whatever the doctor wants YIKES!), and people need to take responsibility for there own care. You need to be in the drivers seat at all times. when was the last time you went to the doctor and asked the doctor or nurse" Did you wash your hands before you touch me?" how about washing that stethoscope before you listen to my heart ,And can we talk about the BP cuff? is it cleaned between patients? NOPE!!! hand washing is the NUMBER 1 defense against infection yet no one bothers to stop the medical person and asked for whatever reason. When did you last question your doctor about why this med is ordered or why this test isn't ordered. WE make mistakes we are human. I know that may not be an excuse for some but mistakes get made . most of the time no harm comes but when it does it hits the news and boy are we crucified.Steps are in place with e- medical files , and other system wide tools. but still in the end it is a human delivering the care. Please really every time an error is made I have never seen anybody smile about it. It eats us up for the rest of our lives ! I don't believe this nurses intent was to cause harm. she did not wake up that morning and say "I think ill abort the wrong fetus today." A nurse is a nurse. it is more than an occupation for most of us. It is who we are. I am a mum, a sister ,a widow, a daughter, and a nurse.
Look up the statics on errors made everyday in a hospital it should be enlightening and at most an educational experience for you to take your care into your own hands and question everything!
I hope this was more educational than any thing else. now ill wait for the sledge hammers......

EXCELLENT post Therese, it makes perfect sense. Thank you for posting a summary of common sense from a RN point of view.

Too many people think Doctors are Gods. What they say goes. Too many people have a Doctor that they do not feel comfortable in questioning or talking to, because after all they are the professional and we as patients are just mere mortal.

How dare mere mortals question the person who sees themselves as Gods and act like it. If you do not feel comfortable in talking to your Doctor, or he/she acts like it is a bother, then find another Doctor if possible.

So stand up, ask questions, after all it is your money, your health and your right.

I was upset before an operation. The nurse came in with a pill. I asked her what it was for. She told me that I indicated on pre-op that I was upset and nervous about the pending op so the Doctor ordered a pill for me to help me relax. But it was my choice to take it or not.

I knew what I was taking and why.

Advocate for yourself and your family. Be assertive. After all, you are handing over your health care to professionals, well trained and respected, but they are humans after all.

I am just one of those people who question and ask. That way I feel fully informed and comfortable. That has to do with my education, profession and nature.

I have a lot more respect for Nurses, then I do for most Doctors. I said most, not all.

It doesn't make sense to me that there wouldn't have been at least some discussion as to what this pill was for, between the nurse and the patient. I have never had a health professional hand me a pill with no explanation or prior conversation, and if one did, I certainly wouldn't pop it in my mouth. There has to be more to this story.

Eve

We don't know whether there was discussion about the pill. It could have been explained that it will finish aborting the fetus and help the body expell it (or whatever the pill does). All of that could have been explained and the patient simply said oh, ok, that is simple.

But in the end, it all depends on a persons character and personality.

Do they "put the utmost" trust in a person who may have a higher education level, training and experience.

Do they "blindly" trust another person.

Do they "assume" that the other person knows more then them and do as they are "asked" or told.

Do they question authority, or abide by what ever another person says.

But in the end, advocate for yourself or if you do not feel comfortable, take a family member with you, or a piece of paper with questions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back