WV WV - Carrie Baker, 25, & Carolyn Sauerwein, 40, Clarksburg, 2008 & 2009

You are welcome Shared Spirit. I just happened to look on the Charley Project's website. It seems like they have a lot more missing people listed on that website than others...JMO.

Wonder what this guy's motive was to kill 5 people?

It did mention in one of the article that:
Clarksburg Police Chief Marshall Goff says they believe one of the victims was killed in Clarksburg in July 2008 and dumped in Barbour County.
- maybe it is Carrie Baker??

You are welcome Shared Spirit. I just happened to look on the Charley Project's website. It seems like they have a lot more missing people listed on that website than others...JMO.

Wonder what this guy's motive was to kill 5 people?

It did mention in one of the article that: - maybe it is Carrie Baker??

This will sound flippant but that's not how I am intending it to sound. (OT, I rarely am flippant and never use sarcasm)

I have found that the when we boil down most motives of murders to it's essence ~ it usually is simply "because he could".

Clarksburg detective Dave Wygal says Childers confessed to setting four fires on a street where he lived and being involved in dumping one of the bodies. But investigators say they'll have to review the material to determine whether he actually confessed to murder.

This makes it sound like maybe there were other's besides Childers involved?

Good article at the below link. Talks about the arsons, etc.

http://www.dailymail.com/News/200906020770

(snip)
State Police troopers from a regional crime scene team out of Elkins spent hours examining the Braxton County crime scene Tuesday. They fought off a swarm of flies as they pulled out a body, identified by State Police Sgt. Wayne Vessels only as an approximately 40-year-old white female. He said she appeared to have died within the past two weeks.
Police also examined the charred remains of a towable camper, where Childers stayed when he came to hunt for deer, turkey and morel mushrooms, neighbors said.
Troopers also found three other sites they said were suspicious. Vessels said at least one looked as though it might have been a potential gravesite.
"We could see it was dug, he just didn't put anything in it yet," Vessels said.

http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=60231

(snips)

The first fire happened in January, a house fire on Northcott Street in Clarksburg. The second in March, on the same street.
State Police say they have completed a thorough search of the farm ...and will continue looking if they find more specific clues in the confessions.
Twice more, houses were consumed by fire on Northcott; the latest, Childers', just last week. "He owned 214 Northcott," explained Detective Dave Wygal. "That's where he lived."

According to state police, there is no evidence, at this point, to substantiate Childers claims of more bodies in Braxton County. The crime scene team and cadaver dogs found nothing, Tuesday, state police say. The search will not continue unless they find substantial evidence in the confessions that would lead them to a body.

this is a comment posted on the last wboy story.

Kenny
6/3/09 at 2:11 PM

I have a family memeber missing and the car this monster was driving belonged to her. She is a life long Clarksburg resident and we are hoping and praying that she is not the one burried by creature. Hopefully this animal gets what is coming to him!!!!!

WBOY has a picture of James Childers up.

Police give more details

Police believe Childers acted alone, but are still looking at all angles.

Officers also confirmed that Childers had placed singles ads in local newspapers.

Police say that Childers had access to four vehicles, but owned only one of them, a 1986 Dodge convertible.

Investigators have impounded all four of the vehicles.

WBOY has a picture of James Childers up.

Police give more details

Police believe Childers acted alone, but are still looking at all angles.

Officers also confirmed that Childers had placed singles ads in local newspapers.

Police say that Childers had access to four vehicles, but owned only one of them, a 1986 Dodge convertible.

Investigators have impounded all four of the vehicles.

also snipped from your link:

Another media briefing is planned for Friday morning

Another post on one of the wboy articles.
I can't find one news article about a woman missing from Philippi!
anonymous
6/4/09 at 12:37 AM
If the victim they found in Braxton County, is from Philippi, I know who she is and I also know she was reported missing on May 25th, Why didnt police notify the public then of a missing person, we dont hear nothing about her until she is possibly in a shallow grave?! This was her ex boyfriend, and it was her car that was found.

From today's Clarksburg WV newspaper. You have to register to read the article, but it doesn't cost anything.
http://exponent-telegram.com/articles/2009/06/04/news/01.txt

The written correspondence came less than a week after Clarksburg Pfc. Steven L. Menendez had obtained an arrest warrant against Childers accusing him of obscene, anonymous, and harassing phone calls. The complaint alleged the investigation showed Childers had owned a Trac-Fone used to harass a woman on multiple occasions.

More details came out Friday, from the Clarksburg Police, about James Childers and the murders and arson he confessed to committing.

Childers began taping and writing his confessions on or around May 26, police said. There is some discussion over exactly how many potential bodies Childers mentions on the tape, that may be found on his family's Braxton County farm. (more at link)

http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=60428

Missing Philippi Woman Knew Childers

Investigators have not released the identity of the body of a woman found buried behind a cabin in Braxton County, but the family of Carolyn Sauerwein believe it is her remains.

Belington businessman Chris Sauerwein contacted The Inter-Mountain saying his family has been provided information they believe confirms the death of his sister, who had been friends with Childers for several years and had been missing for about a week.

Chris Sauerwein reported his sister missing earlier this week after he learned she had not gone to an appointment.

"I contacted the police on Monday after receiving several phone calls from concerned people in Carolyn's therapy group, as she had missed her usual session. I filed a missing person's report Tuesday morning at about 6 a.m."

So according to this, she wasn't reported missing right away like the poster on the WBOY comments page said.

State Police Suspend Search for Handyman's Potential Victims in Braxton County

The West Virginia State Police have suspended the search for bodies in Braxton County believed to be related to the James Childers case.

Trropers weren't able to find anything that suggested there were bodies buried there, and barring any new evidence, they won't search the property again until early winter, according to Dawson.

That's when the undergrowth in the creek bottoms dies, Dawson explained, and crews may be able to search there again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back