WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone have any luck with opening the detective magazine? I still can't open it.:confused: If anyone got it open can you tell us anything that we don't already know.
I think it's odd about the message Jonathan received also. I wonder how they found he's post.

I think that I missed something, what message did Jonathan recieve? Grandaughter is trying to figure out another way to post the magazine article. You can't post attachments here.
fox1950 said:
Did anyone have any luck with opening the detective magazine? I still can't open it.:confused: If anyone got it open can you tell us anything that we don't already know.
I think it's odd about the message Jonathan received also. I wonder how they found he's post.

JBandy said:
This is a response to a post that I started on Ancestry.com years ago. I recieved a response to this and tried to e-mail the person who posted this and the e-mail came back as non-deliverable. There is a huge geneology research center in Florence, Itlay that I visited years ago and found a lot of information, but I didn't have enough time to really did into it and write it down.

They got the name Maria wrong whoever posted this...It is just odd that their e-mail does not work anymore.
This is the post.

Also I think you and Shadowangel are right on the mark. There should be something left at the site if the children were actually in the fire. It would at least answer a few questions or pose some more if nothing was found.

Shadow205 said:
Shadowangel & I are trying to drum up some interest within the anthropology departments at 2 Universities here in WV. I think it could be quite a class project.
You Go Gurrrrrl :clap:

I have to give You and Shadowangel some big props for the work you are doing on this case. :clap:

PS... as for the detective magazine. It needs to be uploaded to a online host and then it can be posted here. The pages may be to big for "Filehigh".com but Grandaughter could try it. If that doesn't work maybe put them on photobucket.com and we can go there and look at them. Photobucket might be your best bet.

Has anyone read Emily Craig's book, Teasing Secrets From the Dead? It is very informative, especially in regard to fires and what they do to bodies, and bones. According to her teeth usually survive even a professional crematory. Cremationists often will take the burnt remains and put them into a pulverizer to grind the fragments that remain. According to Craig even a fire as devastating as that which happened at Waco will leave teeth and bone fragments. It doesn't sound like the fire at the Sodder home reached the temperature that the fires at Waco reached.

When my grandmother died and was cremated, we looked through her ashes and there were tiny little bone fragments, very small. But they were there. I agree that the area needs to be professionally excavated to know for sure that this is a missing persons case.

LButler said:
Hey, I have some of that...

Betty D. b: March 4, 1940 in Fayetteville
Jenny Irene b: September 19, 1937 in Fayetteville
Louis A. b: December 20, 1935 in Fayetteville
Marthalu b: January 22, 1933 in Smithers
Maurice A. b: July 8, 1931 in Smithers

These are the missing kids, of course, and I didn't get all the middle names, but I will add that to my list.

Here are the dates of birth of the children.

Thanks, Fox...I was just wondering if the numbers on the back of the Louis photo could have had some significance as to birth dates (Department of Defense utilizes dating like that--DayDayMonthMonthYearYear).

shadowangel said:
Thanks, Fox...I was just wondering if the numbers on the back of the Louis photo could have had some significance as to birth dates (Department of Defense utilizes dating like that--DayDayMonthMonthYearYear).

I believe that is the usual way most overseas countries list dates also.
But there is the A in front of the numbers.
Ok, when we get social security numbers, we get just the numbers. But at SSA it is recorded beginning with a letter of the alphabet.
Could this be a partial SSN?

Hello:)

one of the members brought this thread to my attention.

Granddaughter if you need help uploading those files please pm me.

I read a few pages back (around page 8 ) many where questioning why the children would not search for their family.

I wanted to address that (forgive me if someone already has)
We live in such a completely different time today. Children are taught to not trust strangers etc etc.

I don't believe back then a child would even question an adult. (at least most would not)
If taken from the fire under the guise of danger and then told that no one had survived? They would have no reason to ever question or go back.
In the early 1900's tragedy, especially that in a mining town, would have been common place. The view people had of society and how they interacted with each other, adults and children alike, is a far cry from the society we now live in.

Its amazing that the Sodder's themselves questioned the events of that fateful night. It was rather unheard of in most small communities in that time period for people to question authority.

Shadow205 said:
On the back of the picture was this:

Louis Sodder
I Love brother Frankie
lili Boys
A90132 or 35

I wanted to bring this forward.
Could this be what it is saying:
Louis Sodder
I Love (his) brother Frankie
(He has) lili (little) boys
A90132 (SSN or a visa number?)

This could be someone who knows English only as a second language, and doesn't know it well. What seems to be a cryptic message, could actually be someone with a language barrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member