WV WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #4

Wasn't LJ the one who confessed to cutting the phone lines and moving the ladder?

Jack
Yes he did admit to that but said he was trying to cut the powerlines which had he done would have killed him. Lonnie Johnson was questioned and even caught lying but the police never questioned him as much as they should and his partner, Dave Atkins, was never questioned at all.

Yes he did admit to that but said he was trying to cut the powerlines which had he done would have killed him. Lonnie Johnson was questioned and even caught lying but the police never questioned him as much as they should and his partner, Dave Atkins, was never questioned at all.
Why was he trying to cut the power lines? He had no business trespassing on the Sodder's property.

Did he want the Sodders to lose power? Or was there something more involved than that?

Satch

Why was he trying to cut the power lines? He had no business trespassing on the Sodder's property.

Did he want the Sodders to lose power? Or was there something more involved than that?

Satch
I honestly don't think those were very smart which is the reason they did some of the things they did.

Sometimes the simplest explanation can be the most compelling.

Police reports cited by the West Virginia Times indicate that George had kept 55-gallon drums of gasoline in the basement of his house for the coal trucking business.

Cruikshank, the firefighter interviewed by the newspaper, believed this would have intensified the heat of the fire.

When the Sodders covered the embers with dirt less than a week after the blaze, he said they inadvertently created an oven that would advance the cremation process.

It may explain why the remains of the children were never found.

But for the Sodders, who experienced a devastating sense of loss that cold winter's day in 1945, it may have been easier to hold on to the hope that Maurice, Martha, Louis, Jennie, and Betty were still out there.

"It's something that I think resonates with people, because it wasn't a single child. It was such a large part of the family, and it was at such a tragic time — Christmas," George and Jennie's granddaughter told the Independent

Just read about this case. Not really much information to go on, but
1) I do think it was likely an arson (no idea, who was the culprit or what was the aim)
2) I also think it is rather unlikely that all big bones of all 5 children in the attic could be cremated in a house fire, even if the dad did have some gasoline in the basement. This is not to say that I think that 5 children were kidnapped without anyone witnessing, either. But that there might be missing data points here. Then again, if they were really big gasoline drums and right below the location of the respective bedroom... Dunno. Is anything even certain in this case?
3) The timing - Christmas Eve - is kinda interesting, if anything criminal to any degree was involved.

My gut feeling tells me that there is no mystery and that the kids died in the fire. There have probably been countless other cases like this, but those cases are forgotten in time because the loved ones accepted the probable outcome.

Nonetheless this case is interesting and the Delimar Vera story proves that anything is possible. I find this case interesting because I had already thought of this hypothetical scenario in my head before I read about either case.

There was another similar case involving the Babbs Switch School when doing a Christmas program a fire broke out and killed over 30 people one of which was a baby named Mary Edens. Thirty years later a woman claimed to be that baby and even appeared on Art Linkletter's House Party however she was later proven a fake.

Babbs Switch School Fire

OK - OK - Mary Edens, 3, Babbs Switch, 24 December 1924

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500