WY WY - Amy Wroe Bechtel, 24, Fremont County, 24 Jul 1997

I live in Wyoming and this case always haunted me. There are a number of young attrctive women the have gone missing or turned up dead in Wyo, Utah, Ida. Sometimes there is talk of the "Great Basin Murders". A refereence to the possibility that there was a serial killer responsible for the. Several years ago, Dale Wayne Eaton was arrested and convicted in the "Lil Miss" murder of Lisa Kimmell. He lived between Casper and Riverton wyoming, out in the middle of nowhere. He was also fingered in the attempted abduction of young couple off of I-80 several years earlier. He was in the vicinity of Lander/Riverton on the day Bechtel went missing. Its a possibility but no evidence. I think it unlikely that her body will ever be found, that area of Wyoming is so unbelievably remote and rugged. Eaton isn't talking, he currently sits on death row and his appeals are running out.I have the feeling he was probably responsible for the deaths of many more. I never really believed that Bechtel's husband was involved.

OK, I answered one of my own questions. Steve remarried in 2004, but I don't know the wife's name. I also read Amy's mother's take on the 911 call. Interesting to say the least.
http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/article_f289eca2-a639-5a75-a565-814f41b5249c.html

I don't know if this link will work or not, but I got a good update by searching Amy Bechtel 2005.

Interesting case, high time it was solved.

Link works, good info.

Interesting timeline with lots of information. That quote from the call is the first thing that's made me think the husband shouldn't be the main suspect. That's the kind of diffident stupid joke a guy makes when he's thinking something on the order of, "I'm blowing this all out of proportion and I'm going to look like a jackass when she comes home and I realize I forgot she said she was having dinner with friends, but this just doesn't feel right."

I can't shake the feeling that she was meeting somebody. Glancing at her watch, not telling anybody where she was going, husband out of town? One wonders.

My wife and I are both from Douglas. Although we didn't know Amy my sister in law did and she told us about this case as we now live in Missouri! If my wife was missing I WOULD TAKE A POLYGRAPH TEST NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!! So Stevie boy, if YOU HAVE ANY BALLS OR COMPASSION AT ALL, WHICH I DOUBT YOU DO!!!! GET YOUR FRKN *advertiser censored* ON THE SEAT AND TAKE THE TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with carbuff. I dismiss the camper's truck sighting, since Steve was already home at that time. The person he met corroborated his story and I don't see how he had time to drive 75 miles both ways, then farther up to the area where Amy was running, kill her, dispose of her thoroughly and return home.

As far as the polygraph and getting a lawyer, I don't blame him one bit. It's absolutely the smartest thing to do if you have any inkling the police suspect you and in any case where a spouse goes missing, you can bet they're gonna look at the wife/hubby. His lawyer says not to take the test, I'd listen to my lawyer. That's what he's getting paid for. They are notoriously unreliable.

The husband did this! Hes home enjoying his life with no regards to his ex inlaws or the people that love Amy! The least he could have done was take a lie detector test! It could help ease peoples minds if he came back as telling the truth! But of course hes not telling the truth so.................well lets just continue living and having fun Steve!!!!!

Lie detector tests are worthless. That's why they're not allowed in court as evidence. The only thing they're good for is allowing the media to throw dirt at people they happen to dislike, whether or not that person is guilty.

Refusing to take one isn't a sign of cowardice, it's a sign of being smart.

If I was innocent, I would take a lie detector test no questions asked! i love my wife and inlaws enough to know that I would do ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING to prove my innocence!! <modsnip> Our hearts are with you Amy and SHAME on you Steve!!! I would spend the rest of my life looking for the lady I love! What did you do Stevie????

I hope that they open up a cold case investigation for the Wroe family!

<snipped>
* Sept. 28. A 10K race for Amy takes place on the Loop Road. Investigators are also searching for Kelly McLoud, who was allegedly known to follow and call Amy Bechtel before she moved to Lander.
<snipped>

What's this about Kelly McLoud? Does anyone know?

I did a Google search on "Kelly McLoud Wyoming" and got a hit in Google Books. The book is called Rivers of Blood, by Robert Scott, and does provide some detailed information about Kelly McLoud during the time Amy went missing. Beginning on page 114:

The investigators also started looking at a man named Kelly McLoud, who had become infatuated with Amy when she worked as a waitress at a coffee shop. Apparently, McLoud had been on the run for seven years when he met Amy in the Laramie coffee shop.

It goes on to state that Amy got McLoud interested in running, and that he joined a few races in the area. Over time, he became obsessive, which made Amy uncomfortable.

Later, on page 116, it states LE was able to track McLoud down in March of 1998. He was in prison in Oregon, and was able to prove to authorities that he was actually on the east coast when Amy vanished. Lead (then) investigator King does claim, however, that McLoud was able to provide valuable information to them about the nature of Steve and Amy's relationship. He declines to say what this information was, but says none of the information was unexpected, whatever that's supposed to mean.

ETA: Why would LE take the word of a convict (and a man who was obsessed with a woman who is now missing) over the word of Steve Bechtel? It seems to me that investigators have already zero'd in on Bechtel as their man, and will disregard any bit of information that doesn't fit their scenario. Similarly, they seem willing to take any person's word as bond, again, provided the information fits their pre-determined theory. For this reason, I don't blame Steve at all for refusing to take a lie detector test.

I don't know... I really never thought Steve was the guy behind this. I saw a quote in one of the many articles I've read about this case- I think it came from Steve's attorney- that basically said they've always believed the authorities took their inability to find any leads in this case out on Steve. It's as if they blame Steve for the fact that the perp (whoever it may be) did not leave behind any clues.

Can anyone shed some light on Steve and Amy's relationship? I know the investigators confiscated some journals Steve kept... some of the writing, from what I gather, was kind of strange. Other than that, were the Bechtels getting along well? Any history of jealousy, violence or infidelity?

I live in Wyoming and this case always haunted me. There are a number of young attrctive women the have gone missing or turned up dead in Wyo, Utah, Ida. Sometimes there is talk of the "Great Basin Murders". A refereence to the possibility that there was a serial killer responsible for the. Several years ago, Dale Wayne Eaton was arrested and convicted in the "Lil Miss" murder of Lisa Kimmell. He lived between Casper and Riverton wyoming, out in the middle of nowhere. He was also fingered in the attempted abduction of young couple off of I-80 several years earlier. He was in the vicinity of Lander/Riverton on the day Bechtel went missing. Its a possibility but no evidence. I think it unlikely that her body will ever be found, that area of Wyoming is so unbelievably remote and rugged. Eaton isn't talking, he currently sits on death row and his appeals are running out.I have the feeling he was probably responsible for the deaths of many more. I never really believed that Bechtel's husband was involved.

I found this quote in aWikipedia article dedicated to the Lil Miss murder. You may be on to something!

Amy Wroe Bechtel is among the Great Basin killer's potential victims. On the morning of July 24, 1997, the 24-year-old left her Lander, Wyoming apartment to run errands. At 2:30 that afternoon, Amy was seen at a photo shop. This was the last confirmed sighting of Amy. It's believed she left the photo shop and drove into the Shoshone National Forest to check the course of a 10K race her gym was planning. When her husband returned home at 4:30 p.m., she was not home. By nightfall he alerted neighbors and the sheriff's department. Amy's white Toyota station wagon was found parked off a dirt road in the Shoshone Forest.
No trace of Amy has been found but subsequent investigation placed Eaton on business in the area around the time of the disappearance.

More at link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lil_Miss_murder

The principle "evidence" against Steve Bechtel, aside from the fact that he was the husband, was some "writings" of his (apparently attempts at fiction" that suggested an interest in violence, and getting away with murder). The principle "evidence" in his favor is the fact that Amy's car was an hour away and Steve&#8217;s whereabouts that day were pretty well verified. There was just no "two hour + " period he could have done it. There is also the fact that Steve had little to gain from her death: no children, no life Insurance, and no inheritance. He probably gained her "half interest" in the modest (and fully mortgaged" home they had recently purchased and thats about it.

Don't know who this Kelly person is but there is a chance his last name is spelled phonetically as an accident, if they don't know who he is. The surname that sounds like Mc Cloud is spelled McLeod.

ETA

I know they talked to him so may have verified this spelling of his name but I still think there's a chance they spelled it that way in error or he is using that spelling as a fake name not realizing that it is spelled McLeod or something. It looks like it might be a real surname though I've never heard it before (my ancestors are Irish, I did a lot of genealogy and study of Irish names over the past 10 years or so but I can always be wrong!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back