Identified! WY - Granger, WhtFem UP11332, pregnant, in remote area, Apr'82 - Christine Thornton

It really is the middle of nowhere, but it's less than ten miles north of Little America, one of the largest travel stops in America. It started in 1952 as a motel beside US 30, the cross-country route before I-80, and has grown steadily since then. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_America_Hotels (It's named after the Little America research station in Antarctica, and they used to advertise with billboards with penguins on them.) Everybody going east-west through that part of the country goes past it, so they could easily have run into each other while filling up with gas or whatever.

It's also some of the best fishing in the world. Or it could have been sightseeing--hey, let's go up and see the Oregon Trail.

But looking at the photo, I'm going to guess they took the bike out for some off-road riding. Very popular sport in that area.
Ohh, so it was one of those silly roadside attractions that used to litter the U.S. highways sponsored by a giant oil company. Makes so much sense now.

Could be. The motorcycle is a Kawasaki Triple 500, which is not really an off-road motorcycle although it is fast above 4k rpms. I guess dirt roads were good enough, kinda like California Dunes in its heyday.

Ohh, so it was one of those silly roadside attractions that used to litter the U.S. highways sponsored by a giant oil company. Makes so much sense now.

Could be. The motorcycle is a Kawasaki Triple 500, which is not really an off-road motorcycle although it is fast above 4k rpms. I guess dirt roads were good enough, kinda like California Dunes in its heyday.

Yes, exactly.

If I remember correctly, there are some dunes in the area, but there are hundreds of miles of dirt roads, packed dirt, silky smooth...

Ah, those were the days. :D

Now she's been identified as one of Alcala's I guess someone needs to keep an eye on what comes out at trial and start updating the Alcala timeline over at the Alcala posts.

It will be interesting at the trial when the other live identification comes up and also the fact that she doesn't appear 6 months pregnant in the picture. No good defense attorney will let that slide. I wonder if they will put him on the stand? Also, who owned the motorcycle? Is it the same one found in the storage locker?
Whatever happens, I hope the judge doesn't allow the killer to dwell on how he tortured the poor girl. Her family doesn't need to have that image torturing them.

It was just announced the Rodney Alcala is in poor health, and will NOT be extradited to Wyoming to stand trial for her murder! I am LIVID!

In September of 2016, with the help of her sister, Christine was identified through one of the photos that were found in the storage locker of Rodney Alcala in 1979.

Just today, Wyoming authorities reported this -

http://kgab.com/dating-game-killer-wont-face-murder-charge-in-wyoming/

I hope this doesn't mean he's also too sick to be executed. Sounds like they'd better get a move on with that.

How Kathy Thornton solved her sister’s 39-year-old murder case

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article116796023.html

Her search ended in a softly lit funeral home chapel. At the end of the aisle, on a long rectangular table, waited the bones of her sister.

The remains lay on a cloth, vaguely arranged in order. A tangle of hair, partially decomposed, rested near the end.

Here was Christine, the sister Kathy Thornton had been looking for most of her life, reported the Casper Star-Tribune.

Mixed with Christine’s bones were those of her unborn child – tiny, unidentifiable pieces of a life that would never be. It was a small miracle among a large horror that so many bones had been recovered after a serial killer left her body on the wind-swept plains of southwest Wyoming, not to be identified for decades.

The funeral home brought in extra people to catch Kathy in case she fainted at the sight of her sister’s remains.

But Kathy is not the fainting kind.

For 39 years, she looked for her sister. She scoured death records and stitched together YouTube videos asking for information. She visited old addresses. She wrote to the director of the FBI.

For 39 years, police departments and government agencies responded: “Sorry, but we can’t help you.”

In October, in that chapel of a Rock Springs funeral home, she found an answer.

She reached out and touched Christine’s bones. The abstract of a person, of a death, that had always flitted at the edges of Kathy’s life became tangible.

“These are her bones,” Kathy, 57, thought to herself. “She was here.”

After the remains were cremated, Kathy and her sister Mary Ann took the ashes in a small, plain white box to their R.V.

It was time – finally – to bring their sister home.

I would have to disagree. Her top is not form fitting, and to me it looks consistent with what a pregnant woman would look like around 6 months into a pregnancy. All in all, I think they would have a hard time making a case that she doesn't look pregnant in the photo/isn't her, especially considering her body was found a short distance from the photo's location and that the blouse found on the body was a pullover like this one and had extensive stitching on the front, which also seems to be consistent with the photo. I for one would like to find out someday if the yellow blouse she's wearing in the photo matches what they found at the crime scene. Then we would know for sure :tantrum:

search
The clothing that she was wearing in the photo was what was found with the body.

Attachments

• thornton-crime-scene-remai.jpg
    thornton-crime-scene-remai.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 64

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members