GUILTY WY - Park Co., Male UP11992, decapitated, Jan'14 - Juan Guerra Torres

I didn't notice but now that you mention it FigTree they could be bricks holding the cover down. Sorry the screen shot isn't very clear but the camera was panning around that particular area quite quickly.

OOps - just re-thinking the location of the UID now because ...
I re-read this article and the it said:
Billings Gazette Jan 10 2014
The location where the body was found is about 1.5 miles west of WYO 294 (Badger Basin Road) in northeast Park County, near the Montana border.

Which would make it not so near the Highway - (and just to complicate things there is also another off road from Little Sand Coulee Road with the same name)

So I think possibly the white sheeting is not where the body was found - as it now looks too close to the Highway 294...

Here's the satellite Google Map link which will explain it a bit better:
Enlarge the map a couple of times and you will see the off road Little Sand Coulee Road (2)
http://goo.gl/maps/0mjY4

or the screenshot below here: (Arrow = 1.5 miles - the distance is a close approximation)

picture.php

Ahh, so LE was probably just taping the entrance off near the cattle grid. Thanks FigTree! :)

Here's an article that I haven't seen before...

January 14, 2014

“They didn’t go to great lengths to conceal the body,” Steward said, noting the body was found only 10 or 12 feet off the dirt road. “So I would venture to guess their objective there was to keep us from identifying him.”

The road, informally known as Little Sand Coulee Road, begins not far from the base of the Badger Basin hill and accesses federal and state lands on the west of Wyo. 294. It’s a little more than 10 miles northwest of Powell and a couple miles north of the Heart Mountain area.

Badger Basin murder a mystery
http://www.powelltribune.com/news/item/11928-badger-basin-murder-a-mystery

Attached Image:
A couple individuals spend some time on Sunday afternoon looking over the area in Badger Basin where a man’s dismembered body was discovered Thursday. Park County Sheriff Scott Steward is asking anyone with information about the deceased or the incident to contact his office. He advised residents to stay vigilant, ‘but be reasonable, too.’Tribune photo by CJ Baker

Attachments

• Tribune photo by CJ Baker.jpg
    Tribune photo by CJ Baker.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 50
Thanks for that link enzeder :)
OK - so the UID was found on the little dead end off-road of Little Sands Coulee - the off shoot road I had seen on the map.

Powell TribuneA Cody duck hunter and his son came across the corpse around noon on Thursday, finding it on Bureau of Land Management property that’s about one a half miles west of Wyo. Highway 294 up the dead-end Little Sand Coulee Road. The remote area — several miles from the nearest residence — is approximately 12 miles northwest of Powell.

My opinion is that the person who put the body there must have known the road very well, and known the off road was there. I was on Google for quite a while before discovering that off-road (not that thats an indication, but you can only see that road at High Magnification and in Satellite). Its not a road that anyone would go down for any purpose other than - its a dead end track in the middle of nowhere. I wondered if they had checked for tyre marks on such a desolate road - before it was over run with police cars.

Google map satellite view of Little Sand Coulee Rd (off road) dead end.

Sorry about the pic size - you cant see the offshoot road when its smaller - the ground colour hides it.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Nice work on the map.

I grew up not far from there by Western standards -- in Montana a bit north of Yellowstone Park -- and I'm pretty sure I've been on Little Sand Coulee Road, although I don't think we went north into the coulee where the branch road leads. So maybe I can give a little general information about the area.

Bureau of Land Management land is owned by the Federal government, which leases various rights to people or corporations that can make use of them. So ranchers will lease grazing rights, mining companies will lease mineral rights, etc. but in most cases the land itself remains accessible to the public. We were looking for fossils when we were there, but it's also popular with hunters, prospectors, and dirt bike/ATV enthusiasts. The roads will also be used by anybody who has leased rights from the BLM -- small miners working their claims, big mines with dumptrucks hauling out ore, ranchers checking on their cattle or sheep, lumber companies hauling out timber etc. I don't see any indication of big mining or lumber operations on the map, but there could be small mines, wildcat oil wells, etc.

This area gets almost no snow, as you can see from the photos, but it gets very cold.

Some of those fences might mark property lines, but for the most part they're to keep cattle from wandering. Unless the land is posted, which most ranchers don't bother with, you can't tell whether some of that might be private property.

If you look very closely at the map, you can kind of see a tiny line that seems to continue past the dead end, indicating that while the official road ends, you can still drive on. It might be a track made by offroad vehicles, or the road a rancher uses when feeding cattle in the winter, or a track up to a mine or lumber camp or something like that. There's another one that bends off to the right.

I have some more thoughts on that, but I want to think it through before I post anything.

I don't think the boots are going to be much clue. Ariat appears to be a popular brand. According to the store locator on their website, their boots are available at most country clothing and ranch supply stores (including two in Powell, Wyoming, which is one of the closest towns to where he was found) as well as online at places like Zappo's.

http://www.ariat.com/

I couldn't find the exact match on the current styles; this one's probably the closest: http://www.ariat.com/Work/Men/Footwear/WorkBoots/HermosaXR8.html?color=AGED_BARK

I saw this on the main page of CNN. I'm always glad to see attention for UIDs. I think it's out of the ordinary that CNN is putting this UID so front and center - it's in a very rural area, the victim is a male (you know, the whole pretty young victims thing the media sometimes has). With all of the UIDs out there, some with even more bizarre circumstances, why this one? I do not mean this in a negative way at all, it's just different for CNN and I wonder why.

I wonder, if border patrol and the FBI are involved, if they're pushing to get him identified because they also think it's cartel related. Which would be very bad to have them that bold so far north (granted, I know zilch about that kind of thing, so it could be rampant and I'd be none the wiser).

The Park County Sheriff's Office needs fresh clues to help identify the decapitated victim. Right now, the belt seems to be one of the best clues to go on.

"We're looking for the origin," Mathess said. "Getting the photos out of the image will maybe get someone to think, 'I know someone who had that,' and tell us about it."

Decapitated victim leaves few clues to his identity, other than his belt
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ft-clues-belt-article-1.1593905#ixzz2rlp0AyuO

Multiple gunshot wounds ended the victim’s life, according to the final autopsy report from Billings forensic pathologist Thomas Bennett.

“The report indicates the dismemberment occurred post-mortem, however we’re still unsure if the killing was done at the scene of the discovery or somewhere else, even outside our jurisdiction,” Sheriff Scott Steward said. “We do not have sufficient evidence to make that determination .”

Shots killed man found headless near Ralston
http://www.codyenterprise.com/news/local/article_e08a8376-87a1-11e3-aa39-0019bb2963f4.html

I don't think the boots are going to be much clue. Ariat appears to be a popular brand. According to the store locator on their website, their boots are available at most country clothing and ranch supply stores (including two in Powell, Wyoming, which is one of the closest towns to where he was found) as well as online at places like Zappo's.

http://www.ariat.com/

I couldn't find the exact match on the current styles; this one's probably the closest: http://www.ariat.com/Work/Men/Footwear/WorkBoots/HermosaXR8.html?color=AGED_BARK

Thanks for the link - that footwear isn't cheap at around $180.00 a pair.
Just an observation.

Thanks for the link - that footwear isn't cheap at around $180.00 a pair.
Just an observation.

Yeah, those are high-end work boots.

Though in Montana and Wyoming, it's not uncommon for working people of both sexes to spend a lot of money on good boots for their job, even if they're not making a lot of money. The combination of that rather nice belt and the good boots make me think he wasn't poor.

UID's NAMUS Profile is online:
NamUs UP # 11992
ME/C Case Number: 14-44
Park County, Wyoming

FOUND: January 10, 2014 00:00
Sex: Male
Estimated age: Adult - Pre 40
Weight (pounds): 180, Estimated
Height (inches): 64, Estimated
AMPUTATIONS: head decapitated and entire left arm and right hand were removed, post mortem
SCARS & MARKS: 4-6" vertical scar on his back
CLOTHING on body: Large blue short sleeve shirt, Levis blue jeans, size 36-30, brown belt with a stitched horse head and similar stitching on belt
FOOTWEAR: Ariat brand lace up work boots with deep treads
DNA: Tests Complete
No pictures submitted as yet.
-----

I thought he was found on the 9th of January 2014.
Source - Read More: Just before noon on Jan. 9, a 40-year-old man from Cody reported to authorities that he found the body while hunting ducks with his son.
No boot size mentioned on NAMUS.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11992

Watching the video again FigTree I think this might be the body covered by a white sheet?. It appears to me to be close to the junction of Little Sand Coulee Road Rd and HW 294 looking at the background etc but I could be wrong. It seems to be in close proximity to the LE truck showing at the beginning of the video though. imo

2nsv1uf.jpg

Screen shot from video at below link.

Video: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/13/autopsy-determines-decapi_0_n_4591598.html

I think the "sheet" you are seeing is actually a patch of snow. The black spots are where the underlying sage brush is poking through.

I think clearly the guy is not a local, or employed by a local ranch or any other legit business in the area. If he was, he would have been reported missing by now. That Border Patrol has been contacted indicates to me that local LE has undisclosed information that the guy is a foreign national, prob Mexican. This would to me point to drug or immigrant trafficing.

I think clearly the guy is not a local, or employed by a local ranch or any other legit business in the area. If he was, he would have been reported missing by now. That Border Patrol has been contacted indicates to me that local LE has undisclosed information that the guy is a foreign national, prob Mexican. This would to me point to drug or immigrant trafficing.

Or migrant farm labor. Many rodeo riders are also from south of the border.

Or migrant farm labor. Many rodeo riders are also from south of the border.

Just some thoughts...
Lander Pioneer Days Rodeo - Worlds oldest paid rodeo in the world July 3-4
Cody Night Rodeo - Performances are nightly at 8 p.m. at Stampede Park on Yellowstone Highway, June 1 through August 31.
Sheridan WYO Rodeo - July 10-July 13, 2013
Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo . 2014 Dates: Friday, July 18 through Sunday, July 27.

Most of the big Rodeos (Wyoming) seem to be held mid year - though Im sure there must be others during off season.

I wondered if possibly the UID's skin was weathered from the sun (working outdoors) or his remaining hand showed mannual work. He was fit - so possibly he was Ranch working - or he just worked out.

The scar on his back is interesting though - NAMUS didnt say what type of operation it was from. Would help to know what type of injury/cause it was.

I was wondering why the UID's hand was missing (after death by shooting) - would he have had a tattoo on his hand possibly? Or a disfigurement - like a finger missing?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back