Found Deceased WY - Tami Lynn Sturgeon, 55, missing where she and her 60-year-old husband returned to after they had been shed hunting, Gillette, 23 Mar 2024

It looks like they are doing air searches as well as searching on the ground, per this article:

On Monday afternoon, five people boarded a Blackhawk helicopter from Rapid City, South Dakota, to do an aerial search of the area. Even with technology like thermal spotters, the helicopter search yielded no tangible clues to Sturgeon’s location.

Odd he couldn't see her in that wide open terrain you posted. I can't imagine you'd go too far looking for a phone.
The Yellow Hammer Buttes area Sturgeon went missing has rough terrain, including ravines, buttes and tree lines that make for a more complicated landscape to navigate than some of the flat prairie land found on the north side of Bishop Road.

Odd he couldn't see her in that wide open terrain you posted. I can't imagine you'd go too far looking for a phone.
MOO based on being raised in a rural area, the Google Earth images could have been taken in the fall or winter, when local crops would be cut and fields would be clear. Depending on what’s planted in those fields, visibility right now could be completely different than in the images. IME

MOO based on being raised in a rural area, the Google Earth images could have been taken in the fall or winter, when local crops would be cut and fields would be clear. Depending on what’s planted in those fields, visibility right now could be completely different than in the images. IME
Good point. I went back to look and the screenshot I posted was of Google Street View in November 2021. Google also allows you to see the area as it looked in June 2012 and there didn't appear to be a huge difference except a little bit of relatively short grass along the road.

I'm amazed they couldn't spot her from the air when they were searching with the helicopter. Maybe she found somewhere to curl up and attempt to keep warm when night fell, and then succumbed to the elements. :(

Good point. I went back to look and the screenshot I posted was of Google Street View in November 2021. Google also allows you to see the area as it looked in June 2012 and there didn't appear to be a huge difference except a little bit of relatively short grass along the road.

I'm amazed they couldn't spot her from the air when they were searching with the helicopter. Maybe she found somewhere to curl up and attempt to keep warm when night fell, and then succumbed to the elements. :(
was she wearing orange or something?

Gillette resident Tami Sturgeon remains missing. She disappeared Saturday in the Yellow Hammer Buttes area southeast of Gillette, marked on the map. Also marked is the railroad tracks that run north-south to the west of the area.

1711585976590.png

“She discovered her phone was missing and they went back to that area to search for it and then they got separated,” Sams said, adding that the snow and cold weather complicated the search. Sams said the woman was dressed for the weather Saturday and the two had a backpack with some supplies, but that pack was not with Sturgeon.

Good question. I scrolled through the Wyoming hunting regulations website and it's not currently any kind of hunting season, so she may not have felt it necessary to wear orange.
I just picture it getting dark and maybe even snowy and the visibility would not be great. They do not say what time it was that she became "missing." The area looks rocky and possibly confusing (as in "no landmarks") if she had not been there many times before.

I haven't driven through that part of Wyoming for years, but it doesn't look like it has changed much. It's very dry and the soil isn't very fertile. You'll find some crop land, especially near creeks or the occasional small pond, but in the main it's grazing land, with patches of grass alternating with sagebrush and bare rocky ground.

The sagebrush can be very thick and hard to push through. It doesn't look that tall in the photos, but it's often chest high to an average woman. If she fell down in the sagebrush, or sought shelter there to get away from the snow, she would be very hard to see.

edited to add: I see elsewhere that she was seen farther up the hills, at the treelike. The terrain up there is quite rugged and the visibility under the trees is worse.

Last edited:
“Sturgeon was last seen in a treeline in a section of the Yellowhammer Buttes that is rougher country than other areas close to Bishop Road, which is much more open, Campbell County Undersheriff Quentin Reynolds said.

“The terrain is not what most people are envisioning. It’s a different beast down in that area, so to speak.”

That makes a lot more sense as to why she hasn't been found yet.

Oh, this poor lady. Not even a flashlight with her to try to find her way. :(

“Sturgeon was last seen in a treeline in a section of the Yellowhammer Buttes that is rougher country than other areas close to Bishop Road, which is much more open, Campbell County Undersheriff Quentin Reynolds said.

“The terrain is not what most people are envisioning. It’s a different beast down in that area, so to speak.”

she weighed 100 lbs... but she had matches with her... I just picture the phone thing (thinking it is lost when you have it) as something that happens when you are already really tired and need to be home. wouldn't she have heard her husband calling out when she got lost...or is the wind so loud that you cannot hear?

Crook County units assisted searches with a drone Wednesday, and units from Johnson and Washakie counties will be aiding in Thursday’s search, according to Campbell County Undersheriff Quentin Reynolds.

Sturgeon was last seen in a treeline in a section of the Yellowhammer Buttes that is rougher country than other areas close to Bishop Road, which is much more open, Campbell County Undersheriff Quentin Reynolds said.

Reynolds stressed that the investigation was strictly search-and-rescue given that the evidence found at Sturgeon’s last known location was consistent with the husband’s account of events. No foul play is suspected.

“There’s no reason for us to go the other way at this point.” Reynolds said. “Yesterday when we found the footprint and everything, we were like, ‘Yeah, at least we know the story is matching up. She was here.'”

The Campbell County Sheriff's Office emphasizes that this remains a search and rescue operation. There is no evidence to suggest Tami was harmed, and rumors to the contrary are unhelpful.

Tami's husband and family are cooperating fully and actively assisting in the search.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back