Zodiac - a 2 man job?

LotteDK

Reaction score
A theory..
An older man, with a high IQ, manipulates a younger man (maybe a family member), to kill and write the messages, to the police. But he makes the codes. If one of them dies, the other one no longer has the opportunity or the motivation to continue. The language, the writing and misspelling in the letters, seems like a younger person. And the high intensity of the killing, also needs a young persons stamina. But the codes is in a higher level. So if one of them dies, go to prison etc. The "buddy", can´t continue.

No evidence there was, however, for my suspect there's no doubt his wife would have been an unwitting participant.

Like you I believe the Zodiac was more than one person. In fact, I see every reason to believe there was more than one.
I'm keener on motivation, modus operandi and victimology than I am on clues [not saying they're irrelevant], so I'd like to talk about the Berryessa killing. Yes, it has undeniable similarities with the murder of Cheri Bates and possibly the Lompoc murders, but we're talking about the Zodiac Cluster here and Berryessa differs from the other 3 attacks in at least 5 ways
1) It takes place in broad daylight
2) It is the only attack where Zodiac is masked
3) It is the only attack where ligatures are used.
4) The weapon is a knife, not a gun, so Z is up close and personal.

And then I read Ranger White's account...
5) The killing of Cecelia exhibits attributes of sadism and control entirely absent from the other attacks. It appears she died fully conscious and in agony, but it is quite possible that she would have survived had the location not been so remote. Her wounds were meant to inflict maximum pain, and not necessarily kill her. I cannot rule out that her killer had some degree of medical knowledge, and also think it likely they had some sort of practice at inflicting this kind of injury.

I am as convinced as I could be - from 50 years and half a world away - that the person who committed the Berryessa crime is not the one who committed the other three attacks.

A theory..
An older man, with a high IQ, manipulates a younger man (maybe a family member), to kill and write the messages, to the police. But he makes the codes. If one of them dies, the other one no longer has the opportunity or the motivation to continue. The language, the writing and misspelling in the letters, seems like a younger person. And the high intensity of the killing, also needs a young persons stamina. But the codes is in a higher level. So if one of them dies, go to prison etc. The "buddy", can´t continue.

I definitely concur with the high IQ, and a younger, more reluctant accomplice, but I wonder about the misspellings.

Cryptography 101. If there are misspellings or changes of letter case from upper to lower etc. it is a sign to the reader that more than one code is present. What if the codes are a blind, and the real messages are coded in the letters?

Like you I believe the Zodiac was more than one person. In fact, I see every reason to believe there was more than one.
I'm keener on motivation, modus operandi and victimology than I am on clues [not saying they're irrelevant], so I'd like to talk about the Berryessa killing. Yes, it has undeniable similarities with the murder of Cheri Bates and possibly the Lompoc murders, but we're talking about the Zodiac Cluster here and Berryessa differs from the other 3 attacks in at least 5 ways
1) It takes place in broad daylight
2) It is the only attack where Zodiac is masked
3) It is the only attack where ligatures are used.
4) The weapon is a knife, not a gun, so Z is up close and personal.

And then I read Ranger White's account...
5) The killing of Cecelia exhibits attributes of sadism and control entirely absent from the other attacks. It appears she died fully conscious and in agony, but it is quite possible that she would have survived had the location not been so remote. Her wounds were meant to inflict maximum pain, and not necessarily kill her. I cannot rule out that her killer had some degree of medical knowledge, and also think it likely they had some sort of practice at inflicting this kind of injury.

I am as convinced as I could be - from 50 years and half a world away - that the person who committed the Berryessa crime is not the one who committed the other three attacks.

I have no concrete theory about 1 vs 2 or more Z's but I agree totally with this post. In the first two attacks he seemed to minimize the interaction he had to have with his victims, it was just get out of the car, shoot them and drive away. At Lake Berryessa he did a complete and total 180° turn and made some small talk, lengthy interaction with his victims and obviously lived out some bizarre fantasy. Its mindboggling that this was the same person.

People have speculated on this for years. I never really believed that Zodiac was two or more people. I was always looking to pin it on one guy. I no longer believe in the lone killer hypothesis. For one thing, Graysmith mentioned that the killer must be immensely powerful because he has tossed bodies over fences and across wide ravines. Two people, though, could do it with relative ease.

I always rejected the Lompoc killings as Zodiac because I was certain Cheri Jo Bates was his first victim the way he couldn't stop crowing about it to anyone who'd listen. But there are earlier killings that are uncomfortably close to Zodiac's MO and signatures. Like you, I posit an older killer recruiting a younger one. I am positing a possible cult. A devil cult or something like that. Clearly, there is some occultism involved. Pam, sister of victim Darlene Ferrin, stated to Graysmith concerning Zodiac, “Darlene mentioned the witchcraft angle to a certain degree, knowing this guy that was sitting at the counter up at Terry’s, just the way he talked, the way he was into that skull with the dripping candle. Darlene said that he was the one who kept it lit and talked about these weird things and witchcraft."

The killer stated in his letters that he was killing people in order to amass slaves for his afterlife. Certainly, not a belief of any organized religion. There are tribes in the Indochina/Southeast Asia region where such beliefs can be found. It is clearly a tribal belief initially. A warrior of his tribe wants to die fighting for and defending his tribe and the belief may arise that the more men a warrior kills, the more slaves he is collecting for his glorious afterlife. This belief can be found, apparently, in the Philippines. This is interesting because there is the prevalent story of the Vallejo bartender who kept trying to date Darlene but she always refused. He was reportedly quite upset about this and would come around her place all the time trying to get her to go out with him. Turns out his name is George W. Waters and he is Filipino and was born in that country. He was about 5' 8" and somewhat paunchy in build. So, that made him a person of interest but Waters was dark-skinned with jet-black hair (many mistook him for Mexican) and so does not fit any descriptions of Zodiac.

Sorry for going off on a tangent. But we see anyway that Zodiac is motivated by occultic beliefs. He killed victims on or near auspicious days of the year and holidays. It would appear that he recruited a new member and perhaps this new member had to kill somebody in order to be accepted. This person then stalked and killed Cheri Jo Bates and bragged about it because it was his first kill and it got him into the club, so to speak. Earlier killings as Lompoc were done by the older one. He also appears to have written most of the letters although the younger member might have been allowed to write one or two besides the Bates letters. That would explain why the Bates murder seemed so important to a killer who had apparently already killed at least a few times and the urge to brag should now be muted.

This would mean that the Lake Berryessa attacker was older one whereas the others (Faraday-Jensen, Ferrin-Mageau, Shepard-Hartnell, Stine and Johns) were done by the newer member. The Berryessa attacker weighed about 220 lbs but the other attacker isn't anywhere near that heavy. The Berryessa man had dark-brown, greasy hair where Mageau said his attacker had "champagne-colored" hair, that is, it was kind a light brown with a hint of orange combed high and back into a pompadour. Since the Berryessa attacker wrote on the door of Hartnell's car and it matches the handwriting in the letters, then he is the senior member of the cult. He carried out one attack himself for whatever reasons and ordered his follower to do the rest. Then he would write the letters.

Zodiac did brag that he had the ability to look entirely different when he went of his hunts. I'm sure he used disguises but he was probably coyly admitting that there is more than one killer.

Upon further examination, there might be three killers. The Jensen-Faraday and the Ferrin-Mageau attacks were likely committed by the same person (call him Zodiac #1). As stated, the killer of Darlene Ferrin was about 5' 8" about 180-200 lbs with a powerful, stocky build and light-colored hair combed back into a pompadour. He had kind of a wide, round face and sometimes wore black, horn-rimmed glasses.

The Lake Berryessa attacker was heavier set, about 6' and about 220 lbs with long brown hair that fell over his forehead (call him Zodiac #2).

But the killer of Stein and the abductor of Kathleen Johns are described as being the same person but he differs in appearance to either attacker in Lake Berryessa or Vallejo. He seems older and much more military in his bearing and had a crewcut (call him Zodiac #3). Johns thought he was around 160-170 lbs so he is rather slighter in build than Zodiacs #1 and 2. Zodiac #1 stalked couples sitting in cars. Darlene Ferrin and Betty Lou Jensen also looked remarkably alike.

Zodiac #2 stalked a couple but they were sitting in the open when he attacked. While Zodiac #1 wore no disguise, Zodiac #2 wore a hood with an attached bib or dickey.

Zodiac #3 shot or abducted lone people (Johns had her 1 yo daughter with her but her abductor likely didn't know that at the time).

Zodiac #2 appears to have written the letters and on Hartnell's car. Zodiac #2 may have been the actual killer of Cheri Jo Bates. Bates and Cecelia Shepard bear some resemblance to one another and it is possible the same killer stalked both. But Zodiac #3 appears to be the leader. He seems older and more in control. He has a distinctly different MO.

I could be wrong about the letter writer. It could be Zodiac #3, which frankly makes more sense to me. But this would mean that Zodiac #3 accompanied Zodiac #2 to Lake Berryessa. He likely stood watch near Hartnell's car. Is this likely? In his book, The Son of Zodiac: How the Zodiac and Son of Sam Serial Murders Were Meant to Usher in the in the Coming of Satan (Jack O'Lantern Press, 2019), author Jack Myers wrote of the 1963 Lompoc High killings of Robert Domingos and Linda Edwards at Tajiguas Creek In Santa Barbara County :

Of course, by cornering his victims at an isolated beach with only one way out, the killer was also leaving himself exposed and trapped--unless he had a lookout or lookouts stationed up on or near Route 101 Highway.

It would make sense that there would have been a lookout at Lake Berryessa as well otherwise the killer took a big chance going into that cul-de-sac by himself with no one to assist him in case someone came by or if Hartnell (who stood at 6' 7") had managed to overpower and disarm his would-be killer. So, let's make that assumption: Zodiac #2 and #3 were at Lake Berryessa working together. Zodiac #3 stood watch and wrote on Hartnell's car door and is the same one who wrote the taunting letters to the newspapers as confirmed by handwriting experts.

But if Zodiac #2 committed the crime but it was his first murder, the why does it look so similar to the Lompoc High killings from three years earlier? In both cases, the killer attacked a couple out in the open in an isolated place and brought pieces of pre-cut rope and at Lake Berryessa, he had the female first bind the male then he bound the female himself. We can be quite sure this was also done at the Lompoc High killings. So why not assume that the same killer carried out both attacks? Because the signature was different. The signature is the way the assailant kills as it rarely varies much because it is connected to his sexual libido. In other words, the signature employed by the killer is also how he gets off. In the Lompoc killings, the killer shot both victims to death; at Lake Berryessa, the killer stabbed both victims even though he carried a handgun. He stabbed the female victim (who perished) more times then he did the male victim (who survived) but in the Lompoc killings, the killer shot the male victim more times than the female victim.

I posit that the older and more experienced killer, Zodiac #3, was teaching Zodiac #2 this technique of stalking and killing prey. Zodiac #2 appears to have followed the plan except his signature was stabbing his victims rather than shooting them.

Then who is Zodiac #3? The killer of Paul Stine and the would-be abductor of Kathleen Johns. A policeman actually spoke briefly to a man on the street in the area where Stine was murdered. They did not detain him because they were told that Stine's killer was a black man. Zodiac later confessed to being this man in another letter. The patrolman was able to give a description. When Johns saw the composite after escaping from her assailant, she immediately identified it as the same man she saw. She had a much longer look at his face than the policeman did and a new composite was issued with her changes added in. This man was perhaps in his early 40s with a crewcut. He does not match Mageau's description of the man who shot him nor the Lake Berryessa assailant. HIs MO appears quite different: lone victims, male or female.

Johns stated that the man was of Navy-type appearance: dark blue windbreaker and bell-bottom trousers. He wore black horn-rim glasses with a strap that went around the back of his head. His shoes were extremely spit-shined. A watch found at the murder scene of Cheri Jo Bates was sold at military PXs and nearby Riverside was March Air Force Base. The Wing Walker shoe prints left behind at Lake Barryessa were of the type of footwear worn by Air Force personnel. The rope used in the Lompoc High killings was also conclusively shown to come from a military PX and nearby the murder scene was Vandenburg Air Force Base. The murderer of Paul Stine was definitely familiar with the grounds of the Presidio. So, we can figure that Zodiac #3 was a military man stationed in San Francisco but had been stationed in other California cities. It would appear that Zodiac #3 was an Air Force man rather than Navy.

But if Zodiac #2 committed the Lake Berryessa attack, why would he be wearing military shoes if Zodiac #3 was the military guy? Perhaps Zodiac #2 was also military. Very possibly, Zodiac #2 was serving with Zodiac #3 and was recruited into his cult that way. Zodiac #1 may also have originally been military. There is no way to know any of this for certain.

But we can deduce that at least one of the killers was in the military or had been recently discharged. He appears to be older than the other two killers and they appear to be following his lead. He also writes all the letters covering all the killings and this is evidence of collusion and not copycat killings. These three man are acting in collusion as one killer.

Let’s examine the Lake Berryessa attack because it has stark differences from the other attacks:

• Happened in daylight. All the other attacks going back to Cheri Jo Bates happened at night or sometime towards the evening.
  • Attacker was heavily disguised. Witnesses to other attacks say he wore no disguise at all not even a mustache of beard.
  • He conversed with Bryan Hartnell extensively. Even when he seemed reluctant to answer one of Hartnell’s queries, he would answer anyway. Mike Mageau said that the man who shot him and Darlene Ferrin argued with Darlene quite angrily before opening fire. The man who tried to abduct Kathleen Johns spoke extensively to her but it was not in conversation. He uttered direct threats to her concerning his intentions while she remained silent.
  • The victims were tied. None of the other known victims were. We can’t count the Lompoc High victims as there is no evidence to link them to Zodiac and Zodiac has never claimed any kind of credit for their murders.
  • Stabbed instead of shot the victims.
  • The attacker had to walk a long way—the length of five football fields—to get from the road where he would have parked to where the hapless couple sat conversing.
  • Left a message at the scene.
Some feel that the attacker stabbed the victims rather than his usual shooting them because it would have made too much noise. Although Bryan and Cecelia were isolated, they were not alone. There were a number of people in the area who could witnessed the whole thing (although if anyone did, they have not come forward to give their account). But wouldn’t the killer have used a silencer in that case? Obviously, the had no intention of using the gun. He carried a long, rather clumsy looking bayonet-type knife in a sheath that hung from his belt. I said earlier that he had a different signature from the other killers. He liked knives. He enjoyed stabbing. But there may be yet another reason.

The other problem is the disguise. Why was he wearing it? It wasn’t to prevent Hartnell and Shepard from seeing his face because they were both supposed to die. The killer was lucky that the disguise itself didn’t attract the attention of someone nearby. And why such an ornate hood? Hartnell thought it “ingeniously devised.” Clearly, designed to look terrifying, like an executioner’s hood. The bib or dickey was part of the hood so that it would be impossible to turn the hood in an attempt to blind the wearer without turning the dickey as well which was impossible. The eyeholes were covered with clip-on sunglasses which hid the wearer’s eyes. Hartnell did not know if the hood clipped to sun glasses the assailant was wearing or if the clip-ons were fastened to the hood itself. Cecelia told the police that she could see brown hair that fell across the wearer’s forehead and stuck out through the eyeholes. The top of the hood was square like the bottom of a paper bag. On the dickey in the front over the wearer’s chest was Zodiac’s circle-and-crosshairs insignia in white perfectly proportioned and expertly sewn on.

DWsWorlVoAM04M2.jpg

He wore pleated pants that looked old and ill-fitting. Hartnell thought the man weighed as much as 250 lbs. He was heavy but not blubbery fat. After ensuring both victims were tied up, the assailant announced, “I am going to have to stab you people.” What did he mean by he has to stab his victims? He could have as easily simply left the area. As though he did not want to stab them but it was something he had to go through with.

In his book, The Son of Zodiac: How the Zodiac and Son of Sam Serial Murders Were Meant to Usher in the in the Coming of Satan (Jack O'Lantern Press, 2019), author Jack Myers points out that the whole thing seems like a big production. That would be because he believes it was a big production. Myers believed the whole attack was being filmed. A blood sacrifice snuff film specifically. The reasons for this are compelling:

• The attack taking place in the day when the light was best. No other reason for this especially when all other attacks took place after sundown. The killer took a very real chance that somebody out on or near the lake might witness the attack in broad daylight.
  • The hood the killer wore was deliberately dramatic. As though someone wanted to make sure the audience would know who the killer was. If the assailant’s appearance was meant to strike terror in both victims, why did the man try to calm them down by telling them that he only wanted their money and car (neither of which he attempted to take)?
  • Why was the murder weapon a foot-long bayonet with a taped-up wooden handle instead a much more sensible hunting knife which was easier to carry and conceal? Because the viewers of the movie could see the stabbing action. It is certainly possible that the viewer or viewers wanted to see the victims dispatched in this fashion rather than being shot in which case the choice to stab them may not have been the killer’s.
  • After the tying the victim’s hands, the killer could have done as he pleased with them. If he wanted to kill them, he could have done it then. Instead, he proceeded to tie their ankles as well. In blood sacrifice, the victim is frequently hog-tied rather than just the hands bound. So, this was a blood sacrifice. Otherwise, what was the motive? The assailant did not rob his victims, he didn’t torture them or sexually assault them. So, why commit this crime?
  • The writing on the door of Bryan Hartnell’s car was like an ending shot of the film. One can imagine that after filming the attack, the camera shot closes in on the car door and then the movie ends.
hut_orig.gif

Attachments

• hut_orig.gif
    hut_orig.gif
    376.9 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads