GUILTY TX - Gelareh Bagherzadeh, 30, & Coty Beavers, 28, Murdered, Houston, Jan & Nov 2012

Just a thought that I had:

It said that she was found in the opposite direction of her parents house. Could she have started out in the right direction but then turned around to mislead/lose someone who she noticed was following her?

This sounds to me like a quick assassination (shoot and flee),almost impersonal...just to get the job done sort of thing.

The Houston Chronicle reports that police have said they are looking into a 2010 reported assault by someone she knew. She apparently did not file charges at that time.

I wonder if this person still held some animosity toward her for reporting the assault to police?

She is also said to converted to Christianity very recently. Christians are persecuted in Iran. I don't know if that will have anything to do with her murder.

I would still like to know where the ex's phone was pinging at the time of the murder. I know that police have said he is not a suspect, but there aren't any named suspects right now and someone did it. He was in the best position to know exactly where she was at the time she was murdered.

I just don't feel that this has anything to do with the Iranian government. I suspect that it was done by someone she knew in Texas.

I think the media jumped on the 'interesting' fact that she was Iranian and participated in some degree of activism. That would change it from the normal story...where someone is murdered by someone close to them.

Check the ex for possible jealousy or anger. Check her relatives, who may have been upset about her religious conversion or less conservative lifestyle. To me, these are much more likely.

I agree. Whatever political activism she was involved in (or not)-I don't think it had anything to do with it. It could also be random.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsd...udent-iranian-protestor-fbi-not-involved-yet/

HPD looking for any enemies of murdered med student/Iranian protestor: FBI not involved yet

According to an HPD report, almost two years ago, on Feb. 7, 2010 at 1:45 a.m., Bagherzadeh was assaulted along the 8100 block of the Katy Freeway by a close male friend who grabbed her by the hair and forced her to kiss him several times. The friend was cleared of charges at the time, but the police are hoping to speak with him.

"Does she have any enemies? Was there anyone who threatened her just prior to the incident?" HPD sergeant J.C. Padilla said at a press conference Wednesday. "We want to know those types of things, because we want to talk to any suspects that may have threatened her." Police also have interviewed the victim's ex-boyfriend, with whom the victim was speaking late Sunday evening when she was shot, as well as her current boyfriend. Neither is a suspect.

more at link .................. http://houston.culturemap.com/newsd...udent-iranian-protestor-fbi-not-involved-yet/

Nothing new in the news yet?? I was hoping for some breakthroughs...:(

Motive for Iranian student's killing a mystery

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/05/justice/texas-iranian-student-killing/index.html?iref=obinsite

Houston (CNN) -- Homicide detectives here say they are exploring every possible avenue, as they investigate the assassination-style killing of an Iranian dissident in mid-January..........

Bagherzadeh had come to Houston in 2007, her friends said. Before her arrival, they say, she had traveled throughout Europe, living in Paris and, for a time, in Budapest.

Her father had once worked for the Iranian Oil ministry, according to police.

In 2010, not long after the disputed presidential elections in Iran, Bagherzadeh joined a group called SabzHouston, formed to protest the election results. She was videotaped by a reporter for the Houston Chronicle while on a street corner, saying she was showing support for "brothers and sisters suffering in Iran."
------

"Right now ... because of obvious reasons, we're exploring those issues that she was advocating," Padilla said.

Houston police on Monday announced they have doubled the reward from $5,000 to $10,000 for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for Bagherzadeh's death.
------

Burton, a former State Department expert on counterterrorism, said the fact that the victim lived in Paris and traveled widely in Europe could have made her far more important to Iranian intelligence than her dissident activities in the United States.

"You have a 30-year-old woman who's spent time out of Iran, in Paris for example," he said, "What has she been doing? Was she more active overseas, for example, than we understand here? The Iranian intelligence service has a very strong network, a very strong collection network in Paris specifically. They are trying to keep tabs on their dissidents."

Houston police said they are stuck and will follow any lead, even those involving Iranian conspiracies, if it will lead them to the killer.

More at link......

Wow! I don't think I like the sound of the above article. Looks like they may have difficulty solving this case. :(

Seeing what little info we have on this young woman, some people's first impression of who may have murdered Ms. Bagherzadeh appear they were possibly on the mark. Someone trying to quiet her for her political ideology on Iran. Perhaps those back in her home country feared she would be able to reach too many Iranians living abroad, which could then filter back to Iran.

Hopefully they get a tip from this newest article. They're stumped.

JMHO
fran

TODAY Aug. 5, 2012, there is a front page news article about this unsolved murder in the hardcopy home delivery version of the Houston Chronicle. It is NOT on the chron.com website. The latest news article listed on the website is from late June. I am perplexed by this. Is is possibly due to holding back some articles rather than placing them online for free? Or something more complicated??

At any rate, today's print version article had these pertinent pieces of info:
  • Crimestoppers reward of $200,000 is the biggest ever in their history but has only generated a handful of tips.
  • Gelareh's father, a renowned chemist who had a 20-year career on Iran with the National Oil Co. before moving the family to the US in 2003 to work for a private oil firm here, was involved in a dispute with that firm over unpaid royalties for technology he had developed.
  • The company renegotiated Gelareh's father's contract saying they would pay him $20 million, but then fired him shortly after the contract was signed, and then did not pay out, sparking 3 years of legal wrangling.
  • In Dec. 2011, a few weeks before the murder, attorneys had agreed to a $5.8 million settlement with Gelareh's father, allowing him to keep the rights to his patents on technology he had developed while working for the oil firm.

This is a very complicated case I fear. Much more here than initially met the eye. I hope the online version of today's hardcopy Houston Chronicle headline will be made available soon so I can link it. Otherwise I realize I have nothing to show to back up this info. Is that odd that it is not there?? If necessary I could try to scan the article I am holding in my hand and post it that way.

Sure looks like an extraterritorial assassination to me. She was killed on January 15, 2012, only days after Iran threatened retailiation after the killing of one of its scientists: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/13/world/middleeast/iran-outrage-over-scientist-killing-deepens-as-it-signals-revenge.html

When they ordered that kind of retaliation, where timing was the key factor in sending a message, they likely chose easier targets, cases that either didn't require weeks of planning or where there were already plots in place.

The staggering size of the Crimestoppers reward suggests the extent of the victim's political influence. Also the dealings with the father, tens of millions of dollars, reminds me of Chilean secret police ordering killing of Letelier in 1976 after he persuaded a Dutch oil company to cancel a $50 million investment in the government.

I must also ask, is there a chance she was driving her father's car? Chile's initial surveillance on Letelier got his car confused with his wife's. Perhaps the assassin in Texas confused the target in the dark, or she stumbled across an ambush meant for her father.

Some of the comments from law enforcement and the general public really seem clueless. There is nothing that rules out a state-sponsored assassination here.

Here are pictures of Cory and Gelareh, the murder victims.

Cory.jpg

And sketch of the suspect in Cory's murder.

suspect.jpg

And a correction to my above post; Cory was murdered on November 17, 2012, not in early 2013.

So victim Coty Beavers posted on a web forum under the name infiniteobserver and his last post was November 5, 2012. He wrote about his concern with his radical Islamic father-in-law, who didn't approve of his marriage to his daughter. Am I allowed to post the forum name here? It can be found if you google Coty Beaver's name.

This is all so strange and complex.

Just a thought that I had:

It said that she was found in the opposite direction of her parents house. Could she have started out in the right direction but then turned around to mislead/lose someone who she noticed was following her?

This sounds to me like a quick assassination (shoot and flee),almost impersonal...just to get the job done sort of thing.

I think she would have mentioned to her friend that she was being followed. I don't believe she knew.

This news report goes so far as to name a possible suspect, although they admit that LE has not named any suspects.

Apparently Coty's wife, Nesreen, had taken a protective order out against her father, who was not a fan of either Galereh (her best friend), or her husband. Nesreen's father confessed to killing a son-in-law with a shotgun back in 1999, but claimed self defense and was never indicted.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/local-2-investigates-uncovers-new-clues-in-unsolved-mysteries/-/1735978/19898912/-/143cax9/-/index.html

See video at the link.

I find it hard to believe that a man who admittedly killed one man then is questioned in two other murders, didn't have SOME hand in the latter two deaths.

Of course, that's just me.
:moo:
fran

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member