AL - Karen Shahan, 53, murdered, Homewood, 23 July 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very saddened, but not surprised that the husband has been arrested for the crime. I just hope they have enough to convict him (assuming they are right and he did it).

I am glad to see movement towards justice for Karen.

I am relieved and not at all surprised. From the little I have read of the case, I think LE has their man.

http://fbcbirmingham.org

January 2, 2014

All of us were saddened by the unexpected news that Richard Shahan was arrested by Homeland Security just moments before his planned flight departure for Frankfurt, Germany. There he was to assume his new role working with the Children's ministry of Bible Mission International, primarily in Kazakhstan.

As we know, on November 29 Richard announced his plans to pursue this mission ministry. His resignation from First Baptist Church of Birmingham was effective December 31, 2013.

Our Prayers go to out Richard and his family. We trust that eventually truth and justice can prevail.

I noticed a moving van in front of the rental house (crime scene) on Hugh Circle about 3-4 weeks ago so that would be consistent with Shahan's announcing the mission trip and upcoming move. It was in the newspaper and definitely not a secret he was planning an overseas mission trip. The following week, a "For Rent" sign went up in the yard. It came down last week. Assume the house was rented? Wonder if the new tenant(s) know about the horrific crime committed there? The house next door has been for rent for months. Even that's too close for comfort I guess.

January 2, 2014

All of us were saddened by the unexpected news that Richard Shahan was arrested by Homeland Security just moments before his planned flight departure for Frankfurt, Germany. There he was to assume his new role working with the Children's ministry of Bible Mission International, primarily in Kazakhstan.

As we know, on November 29 Richard announced his plans to pursue this mission ministry. His resignation from First Baptist Church of Birmingham was effective December 31, 2013.

Our Prayers go to out Richard and his family. We trust that eventually truth and justice can prevail.

When you know your church is now going to be under a microscope b/c a pastor on your staff has been arrested for murder, it might be good to reread the statement on your website...

There he was? Either they're missing the end of their thought on that sentence, or they should have said "He was there..."

If you wish to wait for a trial, please do.

I believe the police, who say there is evidence and there is also a motive.

The only prayers I'll say is for his poor wife, who was murdered, and for the children.

There was no ' rush to judgment' in this case. When the public outcries and LE arrests the first obvious POI , there is more room in my mind to think a mistake was made. After spending nearly 6 months combing through their evidence, I'm sure they had a great idea of what happened in that house. I feel much better about cases that takes months to get an arrest than an arrest the morning after the crime!

When you know your church is now going to be under a microscope b/c a pastor on your staff has been arrested for murder, it might be good to reread the statement on your website...

There he was? Either they're missing the end of their thought on that sentence, or they should have said "He was there..."

No --- the 'there' in the bolded sentence refers to Frankfurt in the previous sentence. Read it aloud and pause after the word 'there' and it will make sense. :)

January 2, 2014

Kazakhstan is not in Germany. It is in Russia or right next to Russia.

Kazakhstan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salem

I think they are correct. I think it reads There (while there) he was to assume...... jmo

It should have read:

There, he was to assume his new role working with the Children's ministry of Bible Mission International, primarily in Kazakhstan.

Actually it SHOULD have read:

There, he would assume his new role as the pastor who got away with the murder of his wife and who eventually made his way into Russia, which has no extradition treaty with the USA.

That's JMHO, of course, and I can certainly understand why the church didn't wish to spell it out in quite that way.

It should have read:

There, he was to assume his new role working with the Children's ministry of Bible Mission International, primarily in Kazakhstan.

There, he would assume his new role as the pastor who got away with the murder of his wife and who eventually made his way into Russia, which has no extradition treaty with the USA.

That's JMHO, of course, and I can certainly understand why the church didn't wish to spell it out in quite that way.

:giggle:

You win the prize! :floorlaugh:

Whatever happened to innocent before PROVEN guilty?We are awfully quick to jump at what we "think" is the truth. Remember this man has family and friends just like we all do.
Maybe a prayer before an instant judgment would be better?
Just a thought!

BBM: That is the burden that our legal system is mandated to operate under: not what laypeople must abide by.

This article with a 'touch' more info:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2014/01/homewood_pastor_whose_wife_was.html

"NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A Homewood pastor whose wife was found slain in July was arrested on New Year's Day as he tried to board a plane for Germany, records show.

According to online jail records, the Rev. Richard Shahan, 53, is being held without bond at the Davidson County (Tenn.) Sheriff's Department. He was booked into the jail at 10:53 p.m. Jan. 1 for being a "fugitive from justice.""

"According to an affidavit filed in Davidson County, Richard Shahan was arrested Jan. 1 because a "customs lookout" had been issued for him in case he tried to leave the state or the country.

The document states that Shahan had booked a flight from Nashville to Frankfurt, Germany. Department of Homeland Security Agents apprehended him after he was "red-flagged" in the computer system at Nashville International Airport.

Shahan was taken to the Criminal Justice Center in Davidson County, and Jefferson County confirmed extradition. He is scheduled to appear Jan. 7 before a judge in Tennessee, court records show."

more...

So, that is what he was arrested for. Most likely he had been flagged some time ago, and when he was flying out he was arrested for that. After that the local LE had to do something or he would have been released in a few days. In all probability they do not have sufficient evidence or they would have issued an arrest warrant earlier.

So, don't be surprised if he is released again, or charges are dismissed for lack of evidence.

It should have read:

I seriously doubt that his church community would have had anything more to do with him if they believed he was responsible. They would not have said anything if that was the case.

What's really sad about this is this man has not only betrayed his wife.. but all the people in his ministry as well. It's just abhorrent to me when men in his position do something like this. I feel very badly indeed for the people who looked up to him. It must be so hard to reconcile the sort of respect his position engenders, with what he's done.

His church-fellows have my deepest sympathy.

I seriously doubt that his church community would have had anything more to do with him if they believed he was responsible. They would not have said anything if that was the case.

Really? You don't believe they're just trying to save face?

I sure do.

Why is it so difficult to believe the "pastor" is a cold-blooded killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti