Match! NY - Caledonia, WhtFem 1UFNY, 13-19, Turquoise Necklace, Nov'79 *Tammy Alexander*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh, I think I am wrong then. It was very late last night and i was very tired when i was searching and came across a bunch of pages for a Benoit, NY but not it seems that it is not a town but just a restaurant. My apologies. :(

Random rambling thoughts of a crazy person on Cali :cowcouch: Beechut had a plant in Canajoharie, NY...not far from Fonda...they contracted with many farmers to grow acres of corn, and hired many, many workers not from the area...those who know me...already know that I am crazy (what a great compliment)...so she may have had a racing connection in the Fulton-Fonda-Canajoharie area, especially Fonda Raceway(which is the only real excitement in the area)....which easily leads to Rt 20 and Rt 5.

As a young person who was a runaway, (yes there for the grace of God, go I)...am going to send her info to people in the area...often runaways were not reported then...it made your family look bad, and one could easily run away with little consequence...Cali may have been on her way to the NY State fairgrounds, and may just be the girl, in the news photo awards ceremony....she probably had an abusive home life. I feel there is much more to the many scars, burn mark, and the ones left out of the report. NY to FL and back again, was a regular route for many in the 70's.

Beechnut harvested thousands of acres of corn, and other veggies...so it could be possible, she traveled with her family every season...and by November, she should have long been back south/southwest...but what if she didn't want to go??

Would guess she had run off so as to not go south again...her parents would have disowned her at that time in history...wish I were up north...keep warm upstaters~!!! :websleuther:

Your post is intriguing to me. I'm from NY, and drove the NYS Thruway between Albany and Syracuse many, many times. I always passed the Beechnut plant in Canajoharie. It was still a going concern in the 90's and early 2000's when I would have been traveling that way. I'd think it was even more busy in the 70's. And the fairgrounds are near Syracuse (I've lived there myself). I can definitely see where she might have been on her way to the fairgrounds, though the state fair always takes place toward the end of August, so I don't know if she'd be headed there in November. I'm trying to remember what types of events might have taken place there at that time of year. She might also have been a worker in one of the many apple or pumpkin farms, which would have been most active in the fall. Those are everywhere up there.

I don't think she was a migrant worker. Migrant workers typically do not frost their hair and there was no indication that she had done heavy work i.e. callouses.

GOODNESS, THREE MEN WENT MISSING FROM BATAVIA, NY IN NOVEMBER, 1979!!!

9641 Zeitler, Albert J. 11/05/1979 Batavia, NY Male White 26
9643 Phillips, Richard 11/05/1979 Batavia, NY Male White 32
9644 Pfaff, Michael 11/05/1979 Batavia, NY Male White 28

I don't think she was a migrant worker. Migrant workers typically do not frost their hair and there was no indication that she had done heavy work i.e. callouses.

True, but then again the "frosted hair" has always bugged me because we don't know the nature of the "frosting." Was it done professionally, or was it done with a kit from the drug store? When I was growing up there was a Clairol one in the stores called Frost N Tip, or something like that. Everyone who used it referred to the results as having "frosted" their hair. Oh, and people used stuff like that creamy facial-hair bleach on their hair and called that "frosted" too. So I think that frosted hair would be pretty easy and cheap to achieve on her own.

I want to agree and disagree with you on that. Many migrant women do frost, streak, perm, or dye their hair; just because they work hard in the fields doesn't mean they don't care about their appearance. But in this case I also agree that she wasn't working in the fields. Besides the hair and the hands, her tan lines also don't indicate a migrant worker; they don't usually have time to lie out in the sun, and a bikini isn't the usual attire for field work.

Bear Angel,
Please do all that you can to reach out to the people in that area. That would be great.

Good points that she could have worked at one of the farms. Or, as it was suggested in another post, maybe she worked at one of the apple or pumpkin farms in the area.

Thanks for joining us!

Random rambling thoughts of a crazy person on Cali :cowcouch: Beechut had a plant in Canajoharie, NY...not far from Fonda...they contracted with many farmers to grow acres of corn, and hired many, many workers not from the area...those who know me...already know that I am crazy (what a great compliment)...so she may have had a racing connection in the Fulton-Fonda-Canajoharie area, especially Fonda Raceway(which is the only real excitement in the area)....which easily leads to Rt 20 and Rt 5.

As a young person who was a runaway, (yes there for the grace of God, go I)...am going to send her info to people in the area...often runaways were not reported then...it made your family look bad, and one could easily run away with little consequence...Cali may have been on her way to the NY State fairgrounds, and may just be the girl, in the news photo awards ceremony....she probably had an abusive home life. I feel there is much more to the many scars, burn mark, and the ones left out of the report. NY to FL and back again, was a regular route for many in the 70's.

Beechnut harvested thousands of acres of corn, and other veggies...so it could be possible, she traveled with her family every season...and by November, she should have long been back south/southwest...but what if she didn't want to go??

Would guess she had run off so as to not go south again...her parents would have disowned her at that time in history...wish I were up north...keep warm upstaters~!!! :websleuther:

PART I

I googled "venjiont" yesterday.

1) Got a link to an article from the Amsterdam Record-Elizabethtown Post from 1924. The preview of the page as it appeared in my searches said something like "Dr and Mrs. Groff drove around Venjiont in their new car." Yes, VENJIONT!!!! When I clicked on the link and read the actual article, which was a scan of the newspaper, it was actually "Dr and Mrs Groff drove around Vermont in their new car." Weird how this happened in print, too.

2) Also came up, in the preview, a Venjiont mentioned in the Plattsburgh Republican newspaper from 1958. In the actual scan of the newspaper, no Venjiont.

3) Venjiont also appears in James Madison's papers. "accord- ing to the report ; and, secondly, a reference in tlie first instance to the acting authority in Venjiont, to be followed, in case of refusal or neglect of justice ..."
However, I do not have the time or patience to read the papers to get a better idea of Venjiont (or Vermont).

PART II
What else could Venjiont be? Well, here is a 1998 list of cities, towns and villages in New York State: http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/genealogy/townlist.htm

Bellmont, Franklin Co.
Bemus Point, Chautauqua Co.
Bennington, Wyoming Co.
Fremont, Steuben Co.
Fremont, Sullivan Co.
French Creek, Chautauqua Co.
Piermont, Rockland Co.
Pierrepont, St Lawrence Co

PARTIII
Venjiont was a building or street in Fulton, right? So maybe the caller meant that a group of kids who hung out in that building or on that street wore those shoes? (For example, when I was in ninth grade, there was a bunch of kids who used to leave campus - against the rules- and go to the local sub shop " Sunny Sandwiches" for lunch. Doc Marten boots and Converse high-tops were popular with them. So, I might say something like, "Doc Martens and Converse high-tops were popular at Sunny.")

I do not think her nose is as pug as it appears in the main photo. I feel her head is tilted back; giving the appearance that her nose is more pug then what it really is. What I see in the main photo; does not match what I see in the other 2 pics. Her nostrils also appear thick in the main photo; like someone photo shopped them. I put these pics together to hopefully explain what I'm seeing.

I think you are right Roselvr. If you look in the mirror you will notice the top of your ears line up with your eyebrows; and the bottom of your ears line up with the bottom of your nose (thus your nose is the same size as your ears). Notice in Cali's morgue photo and the first reconstruction photo the bottom of her ears line up with her mouth. Her ears almost look like they are sagging. If you tilt your head back in the mirror and line up the bottom of your ears with your mouth...voila you have a pug nose as well! :square:

However I do agree the nose is more up-turned then not...just not to an extreme.

Could those shoes possibly be Viberg ripple sole oxfords? They were popular in the 1960's and were made at the Viberg Boot Company in Victoria BC.

Could those shoes possibly be Viberg ripple sole oxfords? They were popular in the 1960's and were made at the Viberg Boot Company in Victoria BC.

Vibergs, or a copy/clone. The ripple-sole shoes were popular in the western US through the 70's. I used to wear them all the time. Very comfortable style. Mine were Thom McAn.

I found some similar ones on ebay:

Famolare (Italian, I think) was the fashion brand, but where I grew up in Montana, hardly anybody could afford them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FAM...98391387?pt=Vintage_Shoes&hash=item2334205c5b

I don't think hers are Famolare, but they do look pretty high-end. Wish they had a side view; Famolare shoes would have a high-wheel bicycle logo stamped into the side of the sole.

Vibergs, or a copy/clone. The ripple-sole shoes were popular in the western US through the 70's. I used to wear them all the time. Very comfortable style. Mine were Thom McAn.

I found some similar ones on ebay:

Famolare (Italian, I think) was the fashion brand, but where I grew up in Montana, hardly anybody could afford them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FAM...98391387?pt=Vintage_Shoes&hash=item2334205c5b

I don't think hers are Famolare, but they do look pretty high-end. Wish they had a side view; Famolare shoes would have a high-wheel bicycle logo stamped into the side of the sole.

Interestingly enough, it appears that although Famolare shoes were made in Italy they were designed by Joe Famolare who lived in Vermont.

https://sites.google.com/site/famolareshoes/

I was thinking about the murder weapon and the inability to track it down. I wonder if the killer ditched the weapon which would explain why it has never turned up in other crimes. Maybe whomever killed her was nor a career criminal?

I was thinking about the murder weapon and the inability to track it down. I wonder if the killer ditched the weapon which would explain why it has never turned up in other crimes. Maybe whomever killed her was nor a career criminal?

That would fit with the idea the man she was traveling with might have been a relative.

These are the same shoes she was wearing, except these are 6-7

il_570xN.502427434_scv7.jpg

Just groooovy suede shoes by Fascinators, from the 70s era! Soft unlined suede with perforated cutouts, wavy platform soles, and wingtip toes. The suede is a spicy cinnamon brown, with caramel brown trim along the top, and tiny dark brown piping along the wingtips. A squared toe like the old "earth shoes." Amazing condition! They are a bit heavy, thus the higher shipping.**

insole length inside shoe 9.25 inches
outsole length 9.5 inches
width 3.25 inches
heel 1 inch
platform in front .75 inch

https://www.etsy.com/listing/162934...suede-wingtip?from_reg=2&joined=contact&box=1

These are the same shoes she was wearing, except these are 6-7

il_570xN.502427434_scv7.jpg

Just groooovy suede shoes by Fascinators, from the 70s era! Soft unlined suede with perforated cutouts, wavy platform soles, and wingtip toes. The suede is a spicy cinnamon brown, with caramel brown trim along the top, and tiny dark brown piping along the wingtips. A squared toe like the old "earth shoes." Amazing condition! They are a bit heavy, thus the higher shipping.**

insole length inside shoe 9.25 inches
outsole length 9.5 inches
width 3.25 inches
heel 1 inch
platform in front .75 inch

https://www.etsy.com/listing/162934...suede-wingtip?from_reg=2&joined=contact&box=1

Very close to Cali's shoes! The bottoms look the same; Cali's shoes had 2 lines on the sides. Her's look like they were all leather

attachment.php

Another pair on ebay - Vintage 70's Trax Wavy Crepe Sole Leather Shoes

Attachments

• CaliShoes.jpg
    CaliShoes.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 295
Very close to Cali's shoes! The bottoms look the same; Cali's shoes had 2 lines on the sides. Her's look like they were all leather

Another pair on ebay - Vintage 70's Trax Wavy Crepe Sole Leather Shoes

I think you are closer- Trax were sold at Big N in Rochester NY- ? as to where else Big N was in NY in 1979; I will have to look. I really cannot tell if hers are leather or "pleather" from the pics.

ETA: Ames acquired the "Big N" chain from Neisner Brothers in November 1978.

This is close to Caledonia: West Wayne Plaza 1890 Route 31, Macedon, NY 14502. It housed a former Ames store. Ames is no longer in business.

I think you are closer- Trax were sold at Big N in Rochester NY- ? as to where else Big N was in NY in 1979; I will have to look. I really cannot tell if hers are leather or "pleather" from the pics.

ETA: Ames acquired the "Big N" chain from Neisner Brothers in November 1978.

This is close to Caledonia: West Wayne Plaza 1890 Route 31, Macedon, NY 14502. It housed a former Ames store. Ames is no longer in business.

Ames was all over the northeast. I miss them.

Those look more like that shiny vinyl-leather hybrid that was popular for boots in the 70's, but it's hard to judge from a picture. The wavy-sole shoes tended to appeal to the hippie crowd and thus tend to be real leather.

She was found the year Mr. Carbuff and I got married. We had been out in that part of the state only a few weeks before showing my parents around. I don't think we made it quite that far west, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa