8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually and IIRC, there was the report of her walking out in the middle of root canal surgery and never returning to the doctor/oral surgeon. Depending on where they were in the process, the nerve of the tooth may well have been exposed: an extremely painful condition.

I think I remember reading that too. I may get flamed for this, but seriously, who DOES that?? What an incredibly foolish thing to do. It just speaks to her extraordinary impatience and intolerance, IMO. I've been through some ridiculously painful procedures (including several root canals) but don't you just suffer through, knowing that a half done procedure is worse than no procedure at all and that you'll feel better on the other side?

I think I also read that she postponed the dental work because she was afraid of the dentist. If you are THAT afraid of the dentist, take some responsibility for your own health and do some research to find a dentist that will give you nitrous oxide or something. Idk, I shouldn't speculate because I didn't know her but she just kinda seems like someone who took the bull by the horns but didn't have the patience to follow things through and then looked to blame someone else for the outcome.

Agreed. The drinking and smoking was a big "F-you" to somebody, either Daniel or her brother or both. I don't think she meant to kill herself and the kids, but I think when she woke up with a hangover and realized she had to have her nieces home by a specific time and Danny wasn't going to help her, she was pissed off at everyone and was going to "show them" by turning up drunk to drop the girls off.

I would agree with the first sentence.

I have read many of the suicide theories. Only one of them kind of strikes me as semi plausible. I can't remember who posted it, but it comes down to:

DS didn't leave camp intending to do anything other than take the girls home. Something happened in the interim which resulted in the drinking and smoking, most likely her being extremely upset at someone or about something. Maybe hungover and attempting to take the edge off and ending up going off the rails, whatever. At some point one of her nieces calls her Mom, CRYING, saying "something's wrong with Aunt Diane." Jackie can hear one of her other daughters crying as well. Naturally alarmed, she asks to speak to Diane, who denies anything is wrong and tells Jackie the girls "are playing, and having fun." Jackie knows that cannot be true if two of her girls are upset and crying. Additionally, Jackie's impression is that Diane "is not making any sense."

Warren gets involved and orders (or begs) Diane to stay put and wait for him. She leaves her phone at that spot and takes off in the exact opposite direction he would be looking for her. At this point it may be clear to Diane that all of the years she has spent trying to make others (and possibly herself) believe that she has it all together both personally and professionally are about to come to a horrible, humiliating end. Either Warren meets her at the bridge and realizes she is drunk, or she delivers the girls to his home and it's evident that she is drunk. Either way, her image comes crashing down all around her and she is revealed to be imperfect, and quite possibly she is revealed to have a substance abuse problem she has taken great pains to conceal. Perhaps she cannot face those outcomes. She decides to commit suicide and the children are, quite simply, regrettably but unavoidably collateral damage.

Perhaps she merely intended to flee and kill some time until she could gather her wits about her and come up with a plausible story to explain her actions. I could well believe that too.

But toothaches, strokes, poisoning by fast food employees, laced marijuana, etc., no, just not plausible imo.

She screwed up-like many, many, many mothers before her have done.

Here's a quote about the dentist:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1304/14/se.01.html
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And she got, hydrocodone. That's the dentist.

D. SCHULER: She would always do this, I noticed. Always -

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Rubbing the side?

D. SCHULER: Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: A tooth was bothering her? OK. So (INAUDIBLE) cleaning and x-rays. Yes, she had it. She had a root canal. Then they went to go in and do more. She really would not get that finished. It was too - she just hated it, right?

D. SCHULER: Yes. Too much pain.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Then an all exam, no cleaning, so obviously still having pain. Was that the last one? Wait, 7/31/08. That's a year before. Maybe it was the same tooth that was bothering her all since '05 and she never got worked on it. This is the one that they said she went and then she left. They said that she left the dental officein the middle of it.

All we wanted was a starting point of what happened to her because if she stopped Advil or Tylenol or something, something was bothering her. IT was bad.

Yes, I feel like I can look over these all the time, but will just come to conclusions in my head.

Reportedly she had the root canal a year before the crash so if it caused her pain it had been bothering her for a while and she didn't just suddenly wake up with this unbearable pain.

But it comes across more as wishful thinking as something tangible.

D. SCHULER: What about the abscessed tooth?

SPITZ: The which?

D. SCHULER: Abscessed tooth.

SPITZ: An abscessed tooth?

D. SCHULER: Could that cause a stroke?

(CROSSTALK)

SPITZ: Could that cause a stroke?

D. SCHULER: Yes.

SPITZ: In theory, yes. But based on the autopsy, there is none that I saw on microscopy. A stroke is something like this, and it doesn't cause alcohol --

JAY SCHULER: But could that reading be a mistake due to other medical conditions that people don't know that she had?

SPITZ: It could, but the question of the alcohol will always prevail.

D. SCHULER: So say we exhumed the body and there's a really bad abscessed tooth. You have x-rays from years ago.

SPITZ: But the question will still prevail, how could it have caused alcohol in the vitreous?

D. SCHULER: Maybe she had a stroke and by mistake, she thought it was water and drank it.

JAY SCHULER: We don't - if someone tells us - we want to know physically happened. If she did have alcohol in her, did she top and be incoherent and do something medically happened to her? We're even willing to say that. But there's no way if she was in her right state of mind she would go and take that bottle. So, if you tell me she was having a stroke or she was hallucinating, or she wasthis or she that due to an abscess, we're going to have to live with that.

SPITZ: If she does are an abscess, she could have had such pain, she takes whatever is available to alleviate the pain.

D. SCHULER: Thinking - no. I don't think so.

JAY SCHULER: She would either have to be not thinking it's water or --

SPITZ: She's not thinking clearly because she had a tooth abscess.

D. SCHULER: Right. Right. That's what I'm thinking.

SPITZ: Okay. So if she had a tooth abscess, what you could do is say to yourself she had severe pain, and she had to alleviate that pain now. Not in an hour, now.

D. SCHULER: So she drank 1.9 --

JAY SCHULER: In 45 minutes?

SPITZ: You know --

I read earlier that the family said that the bottle of vodka went back and forth in their car because their camping trips but I didn't realize that it was actually a borrowed car she crashed in and not their own. So the only reason the Schulers' vodka bottle was in the car was that Diane brought it purposefully and he's just grasping at very thin straws saying she could have consumed it by mistake. Either extreme denial speaking or guilt because he knew she was drunk when she left.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Can you explain the bottle of vodka?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The state police stated that there was a bottle of Absolut vodka in the van. Do you know where that came from? Whose it was? No explaining?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No, I don't.

LARRY KING, HOST: Daniel, how do you explain the vodka?

DANIEL SCHULER, DIANE SCHULER'S HUSBAND: We usually would keep it in our camper throughout the whole season. One bottle.

KING: Why? Why?

JAY SCHULER, DIANE'S SISTER IN LAW: You know, you have pina coladas.

D. SCHULER: Sitting by a campfire, cooking marshmallows.

KING: What was the vodka bottle doing in the car?

D. SCHULER: My wife packed all the bags that day in the camper and leaves them by the door. I carry them from the camper to the trucks. I'm very surprised that the vodka bottle was in there. I had no idea.

KING: Does it give you pause to think that maybe, just maybe, she was a drinker and you didn't know it?

D. SCHULER: I've been with her 13 years. Absolutely not.

They say the vodka was for pina coladas but pina coladas normally contain rum, not vodka.

Apparently the story about the vodka bottle changed a bit on the way.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...onic-Crash-Investigator-on-Show-66925057.html

Then why was there a broken vodka bottle found at the crash site, Oprah wanted to know.

"The way the Schuler family describes it," Ruskin said, "she did have a tendency to bring the bottle back and forth because during the week, Daniel would like to have a drink and she was somewhat frugal."

Oprah cut him off. "Hold up a second. She would bring the bottle back and forth where?"

Ruskin explained that the mother of two would drive a bottle of vodka back and forth from the couple's weekend home upstate to their Long Island home each week so that Daniel didn't have to keep a bottle at each residence. He said that a bottle would last around nine months.

^^^^According to the above, even with a toothache, Daniel does not believe Diane would try to soothe the pain with alcohol. The only way he admits Diane drank the alcohol is if she had a stroke which caused her to mistake the vodka for water.

When first asked about Diane, before anyone knew about the tox screen, they DID know she went the wrong way on the Taconic. Asked about Diane, Daniel said she was healthy. He never exclaimed, "Wait a minute! Diane has been in chronic horrible pain from an undiagnosed tooth abscess! Maybe she was in such pain she just couldn't think clearly!" But he didn't. The tooth theory came later, imo as they grasped at straws to come up with an explanation which fit their image of Diane the non drinker. The chance that she had a stroke which caused her to mistake vodka for water is so far-fetched as to be not even remotely worthy of consideration.

And what are the odds that she went into the gas station and asked for pain medicine and was told they didn't carry it? Really? What are the odds that a convenience store didn't carry aspirin, ibuprophen, acetaminophin AND naproxen?

Actually and IIRC, there was the report of her walking out in the middle of root canal surgery and never returning to the doctor/oral surgeon. Depending on where they were in the process, the nerve of the tooth may well have been exposed: an extremely painful condition.

I've had two abscesses that were so bad, they immediately yanked the tooth, rather than even trying to treat the problem. And I did say above that I would have done almost anything to get relief.

But I did not self-medicate with alcohol and get behind the wheel of a car. I was merely saying I could believe that someone might.

There is no excuse, IMO, for getting that drunk and then driving, especially not with kids in the car.

She had the bottle in the car with her. Her BAC was 0.19. That's double the legal limit. She'd have to chug the bottle for it to have gone up that high if she was just "taking it for pain relief" She'd have pulled over and started throwing up if that had happened.

She'd have pulled over and realized she made a horrible mistake in doing that if that had happened.

She'd have realized "wow that wasn't a good idea, here I am driving with these kids, let's pull over and stop, let me get some coffee...."

If she hadn't previously convinced herself that she could drink and drive, for her to be that drunk at that time of day with the kids in the car going on a highway.......that's an indication to me, that she didn't just drive drunk that day but had done it many times before.

As far as the "bringing the bottle back and forth" that's a classic BS line for an alcoholic. Why? Because normal people don't carry bottles of alcohol around with them. So she covered it up with an excuse.

Normal people do not carry bottles of alcohol around with them at a hands reach in the car. Alcoholics do. And they lie about it.

nrdsb4: I don't think she committed suicide. I think she was trying to make it home before they caught her. She figured she'd sober up by then, go inside, dump the kids in the living room, run upstairs and shower and brush her teeth before they got to her.

nrdsb4: I don't think she committed suicide. I think she was trying to make it home before they caught her. She figured she'd sober up by then, go inside, dump the kids in the living room, run upstairs and shower and brush her teeth before they got to her.

Well, she wasn't going straight home. She was supposed to drop off the three girls and the van at her brother's home. Once Emma blew her cover to Jackie, Diane knew that she was busted or going to be busted when she arrived at their house and there would be hell to pay with both Warren and Jackie once they saw the condition she was in.

So maybe she just couldn't handle that scene and just decided to be done with it all...or as I wondered before, maybe she thought she'd take off for awhile to sober up and figure out how to spin what happened to her favor, and in her condition ended up going the wrong way. I'm on the fence about her intent at that point.

<I>But toothaches, strokes, poisoning by fast food employees, laced marijuana, etc., no, just not plausible imo.</I>

I don't think it's fair to lump self-medicating for dental pain with the other, more far-fetched explanations. People DO self-medicate, and often for conditions far less immediate than a toothache.

I'm not wedded to the idea, however, my point was just that causation isn't exoneration.

Yeah...

I tend to think that anybody to whom it occurs that it's a plausible idea to pack five kids in a borrowed car and self-medicate her toothache with that much vodka and gets high on pot to boot while driving probably has more issues than just dental pain. It sounds like an alcoholic solution to me. If there is toothache it serves as an excuse to drink but if there was no tooth ache there would be some other excuse.

Yeah...

I tend to think that anybody to whom it occurs that it's a plausible idea to pack five kids in a borrowed car and self-medicate her toothache with that much vodka and gets high on pot to boot while driving probably has more issues than just dental pain. It sounds like an alcoholic solution to me. If there is toothache it serves as an excuse to drink but if there was no tooth ache there would be some other excuse.

Diane's family insisted that a)she would NEVER under any circumstances knowingly drink alcohol while driving, much less while driving children and b)Diane rarely ever drank period.

I agree with the above that it would not even occur to someone who never drinks to medicate a toothache with booze and pot ever, much less while driving a van full of children on a trip which is to last a couple of hours. I don't believe it would even occur to her as an option to reject. Someone who drinks regularly as a method to control emotional pain or stress-yeah, it's probably a first line solution rather than silly things like Advil or Tylenol.

I know that all of you heard me say more than once that I believe that Dianne committed suicide. Once again, this is my theory. If she had a drinking problem she sure hid it well from everyone. She never had a DUI and I am sure that if in fact a heavy drinker she would have drove drunk several times before. Nobody at work ever smelled alcohol on her breath, which they would if she got plastered the night before. She had issues with her mother that stem from her childhood and I bet family issues as well that festered over the years. I really think in her mind this was a way to get even.

I know that all of you heard me say more than once that I believe that Dianne committed suicide. Once again, this is my theory. If she had a drinking problem she sure hid it well from everyone. She never had a DUI and I am sure that if in fact a heavy drinker she would have drove drunk several times before. Nobody at work ever smelled alcohol on her breath, which they would if she got plastered the night before. She had issues with her mother that stem from her childhood and I bet family issues as well that festered over the years. I really think in her mind this was a way to get even.

It IS possible that she could have been a very good closet drinker AND committed suicide; it doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other.

Remember also that Diane was known to smoke pot regularly. If she was drinking on top of that, she wouldn't need to drink as much to get "relief" as your garden variety alcoholic, so it's very very possible that she would not smell of alcohol at work. Also, I've known SEVERAL alcoholics who only drank at night once the kids and husband were in bed. No way to get a DUI if you limit your habit to once you've shut everything down for the night. I suspect this is how a lot of drinking mothers operate. With Daniel working at night, this was Diane's prime opportunity to imbibe. The whole concept of "closet drinker" and "functional alcoholic" is that they ARE able to hide it from others and, to outsiders, appear to function just as ably as a non-drinker.

JMHO

I'm not convinced she was trying to commit suicide but I agree 100% that she was trying to get even in some way, shape or form. She seemed like a very angry, vengeful person. I actually wonder if she wanted her brother to know she was drunk. She sought the responsibility of taking care of his kids but at the same time perhaps she was sick of it. Almost a martyr mentality.

Thank for that awesome post Donjeta!!!!!!----whew!!!!!!!!! go post 1789

I think we all can tell the difference between a bottle of water and a bottle of vodke---I mean come on now---what in hell kind of cup holder did that van have?????? And why not put it back into the camper if thats where it was alleged to be all the time when they camped? Oh and no way is one bottle of vodka lasting 9 months--not with weekend drinking-----why do I feel my patience being tested by him ?? (LOL)
I agree--- Danny knew she was either supremely hung-over (he was also possibly) or still drunk. This guy operates in denial and again very telling-only Jay is the one at his side thru out the doc. Where are his brothers????

1790---nrdsb4----I questioned that too--the scene at the conveniece store---they all carry pain meds---I think she was playing with her hair not gesturing to head and claiming headache.

Thank for that awesome post Donjeta!!!!!!----whew!!!!!!!!! go post 1789

I think we all can tell the difference between a bottle of water and a bottle of vodke---I mean come on now---what in hell kind of cup holder did that van have?????? And why not put it back into the camper if thats where it was alleged to be all the time when they camped? Oh and no way is one bottle of vodka lasting 9 months--not with weekend drinking-----why do I feel my patience being tested by him ?? (LOL)
I agree--- Danny knew she was either supremely hung-over (he was also possibly) or still drunk. This guy operates in denial and again very telling-only Jay is the one at his side thru out the doc. Where are his brothers????

The investigator's frugality explanation makes no sense to me either. It's not any cheaper to carry a bottle back and forth than to keep one bottle at home and another at the camper. If you drink approximately the same amount of vodka either way, in the long run you end up buying approximately the same number of bottles.

The investigator's frugality explanation makes no sense to me either. It's not any cheaper to carry a bottle back and forth than to keep one bottle at home and another at the camper. If you drink approximately the same amount of vodka either way, in the long run you end up buying approximately the same number of bottles.

Exactly. Even Daniel should be able to understand this logic, denial or not.

Exactly. Even Daniel should be able to understand this logic, denial or not.

Yup. It's not like vodka is perishable. I've had the same bottle for years (because I DON'T take it everywhere I go, lol.). I just checked it (for purposes of research, of course) and it tastes fine. ;)

ETA: It doesn't taste like water, either. :floorlaugh:

Yup. It's not like vodka is perishable. I've had the same bottle for years (because I DON'T take it everywhere I go, lol.). I just checked it (for purposes of research, of course) and it tastes fine. ;)

ETA: It doesn't taste like water, either.

Dang. Now you're making me feel remiss. I should go check mine. Well, it's a work night. Maybe tomorrow :D

ETA: It doesn't taste like water, either.

I wonder why it never occurred to Danny to claim that the vodka tasted like water because it was so old??? :drumroll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther