Trial Discussion Thread #19 - 14.04.07, Day 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to explain it to me again, I already know. You clearly missed the point of my post and I'm not explaining that again (for the hundredth time).

I've understood your point perfectly.

Schizophrenia. Can be brought on or exacerbated by stress, trauma, a blow to the head, alcohol and dug use, biochemical imbalances.

Delusions
Delusions are false beliefs that are unreal to others but the person feels are completely true. Despite logical argument to convince otherwise, delusions are often fixed and unshakeable. For example, the person may believe they are being watched by the FBI, or their food and drink is being poisoned. They can behave in a very paranoid and suspicious manner towards people they normally trust.

Oscar believed he was being followed on several occasions.

Hallucinations
Where the person can hear, see, smell, taste or feel something that is not actually present. For example, they may hear and respond to voices in their head, see and feel insects crawling over their body, or smell and taste things that others do not.

Dreams and smells blood that isn't there.

Changed emotions
The person may experience fluctuations or exaggerations in their feelings, a loss of feeling, or a lack of control over feelings. Emotional expression may seem dampened, flat, or not in keeping with the situation (eg – giggling or smiling when expressing sadness). They may generally feel ‘at odds’ with the environment or themselves, or feel that the world is moving faster or slower than usual.

Well he shows at lot of these!

Changed social behaviours
The person may act very differently than usual, with behaviours often directly relating to their experiencing delusions, hallucinations & changed emotions. Eg:
 Being very active or feeling very lethargic.
 Extreme or incongruent reactions to events and situations (laughing or crying inappropriately, angry
without cause).
 Isolating from family and friends, or withdrawing from usual social and occupational pursuits.

And these!

I don't think anyone's suggesting they know better than you, Carol. It's just that OP's actions don't seem to match his fear of intruders, ie unlocked/unbarred windows, ladders left lying under windows etc.
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest anyone did think that, was just mentioning in in light of previous posts against things I've mentioned :)

Yep, it does seem bizarre. Are his actions in this regard reasonable to understand, like leaving all the crap laying about- no, of course not.

Is it at all possible that he just didn't think about it that night until the moment he thought someone may have come into his house- yes.

He is defending himself in a murder trial. Serving himself is kind of the point. It's a foundational part of a just justice system, not an annoyance we have to put up with on the way to a hanging.

He's also using his testimony to directly address the victim's family which he should never have been allowed to do. He knows full well they can't answer him without them being in contempt of court so that should have been nipped in the bud as soon as he started it.

He is defending himself in a murder trial. Serving himself is kind of the point. It's a foundational part of a just justice system, not an annoyance we have to put up with on the way to a hanging.

I know exactly what testifying in one's own defense is supposed to do and I stand by what I said. Oscar Pistorius is possibly the most arrogant and non-believable defendant I have seen in more than 10 years following criminal trials (not counting the ones evidently mentally ill or evidently malingering ones). His tirade was irrelevant to the case in chief, did not address the major elements of the crime. It was a poor me poor me poor me harangue of nonsense. A waste of time.

So if he wobbled on his stumps because he had poor balance, how come he didn't keel over when retrieving the gun from under the bed? And if he had to grip the bed for balance, how come he didn't feel Reeva wasn't there? Was he continuously moving from side to side while getting the gun??

I most certainly would not classify it as a wash. Nel made Botha look like an absolute clown.

Botha stated in direct that the door was one of the factors he used in figuring out the "wound ballistics" and then when Nel got to him in cross, and asked him to explain using the door, he didn't have a clue as to how the holes matched up. I urge you to watch it. Nel slaughtered him!

Roux is trying to introduce ridiculous theories about double taps, quick succession, bending over, arm being hit right next to the door and NONE of them could stand up to Nel's cross-examination.

He completely discredited this witness and that is very relevant to the case.

But what does it add to guilt or innocence? Nothing that I can tell

He's also using his testimony to directly address the victim's family which he should never have been allowed to do. He knows full well they can't answer him without them being in contempt of court so that should have been nipped in the bud as soon as he started it.

I know --- what the blip!!! I was pretty aghast by that. I was wondering if that is common practice in SA courts (not being snarky, I am genuinely curious) --- does anyone know? I am familiar with defendants' apologies AFTER conviction and prior to sentencing, but had never seen something like this prior.

It doesn't matter. He can, and it's law. That's how it works in SA.

I know --- what the blip!!! I was pretty aghast by that. I was wondering if that is common practice in SA courts (not being snarky, I am genuinely curious) --- does anyone know? I am familiar with defendants' apologies AFTER conviction and prior to sentencing, but had never seen something like this prior.
First I've heard of it and truth be told, I couldn't even listen, I fast forwarded that part.

Are people really suggesting now that he's schizophrenic?

I don't know SA law but surely it was permissible or it *would* have been nipped in the bud or otherwise censured. Perhaps though it isn't typical, in which case the defense does run the risk of alienating members of the court who also may have found it in poor taste. Or, maybe he really meant it and wanted to put his defence of himself in the context of his remorse.

Are people really suggesting now that he's schizophrenic?

Hmm...amongst many other things.

The mind boggles.

...not literally of course, wouldn't want to plant that seed.

I must agree that listening to OP today was just dreadful. A monotone repeating the diatribe he had been coached for. Can anyone remember the film 'Goonies'. He sounded like Chuck, the young fat boy, who babbled in a tearful voice.
I listened to a news reader this evening saying everyone in court was in tears. I think it had the opposite effect. I don't think he's mentally ill, but emotionally breaking. I don't believe this is because he is innocent, but out of unadulterated fear of the consequences for himself. It's a classic 'the higher they climb, the harder they fall'. Its a tragedy for everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann