GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. And Mr. D. had no defensive wounds so he had to have been taken completely off guard. It would be very telling if Mrs. D. had any defensive wounds because if she were with Mr. D. at the time of the attack then she most definitely should have had some. If she had none then she must have been alone and not known Mr. D. had already been killed. If you see a crowbar or something coming at you I think it is impossible not to raise your hands in defense. It's a reflex.

I can't wrap my mind around the thought of bonking elderly people over the head. Then again, I'm not a murderer. But my heart just breaks at the thought....I really hope they didn't see it coming. And please don't let it come out that she saw what happened to her husband's body.:please:

Snipped from the above article"

“They were at least minimally acquainted with whoever did this,” Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Tuesday. “That’s an assumption, coupled with some physical evidence

UBM What would be the physical evidence that made him assume the Dermonds knew their killer?

:winner: I agree totally with Sheriff Sills and the "minimally acquainted" statement. This was not family nor friends. It was someone who had done work for the family. Perhaps at one point Mrs. Dermond did have someone helping her keep the house clean (and she sometimes brought her son with her) - when they entertained more. Although, I am leaning more toward a man who did some work on the house and who also could have brought their son with him.

snipped

No one’s been ruled out as a suspect, save for some yard workers who have been interviewed and, in some cases, polygraphed, he said.

snipped

That includes the Dermonds’ three adult children.

“I’ve never eliminated them,” he said, though he cautioned there’s no evidence linking them to the slayings.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/...f4Tg/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

Snipped from the above article"

“They were at least minimally acquainted with whoever did this,” Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Tuesday. “That’s an assumption, coupled with some physical evidence

UBM What would be the physical evidence that made him assume the Dermonds knew their killer?

No sign of struggle, unlocked doors?

There’s conflicting signs that the killings were the work of professionals.

“For everything that looks professional, there’s something that isn’t,” Sills said. “This is not the work of some drug-crazed individuals, and this is not some professional assassin.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/...f4Tg/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

I don't think the person who did this was high on drugs - perhaps high on adrenaline knowing that he was going to murder two people. This is a mentally unstable person - weird, but still enough wherewithall to plan a murder and how to severe a human head. There will be evidence on his computer that he researched how to severe a head and the person needed to be dead and the blood coagulated before severing from the body.

I think the weapon and Mr. D's head are still with the killer.

And some of us right here guessed that was the reason very early on.

I believe the killer was afraid that the pattern of the weapon may have been able to be seen on the head of each victim. Many times a bludgeoning weapon does leave an imprint pattern on the scalp of victims.

Now I wonder if the weapon was even a crowbar and Sills just said that to throw the killer off to give him a false sense of security that LE has it wrong. They may have put that out there not wanting the killer to know they really know exactly what weapon was used.

It could be something with a lot of intricate spirals, deep engraving detail or scroll work.

Whatever it is the killer thinks if known it could ID him.

IMO

Why not just get rid of the weapon whatever it was if that's the case?

Seems if they took the head to conceal evidence it was likely a bullet that didn't exit the head that if found could identity the killer.
That's a big deal if true cause it would mean the killing of Mr. D was likely not pre planned or the killer would of had a weapon that wouldn't easily trace back to them.

snipped

No one’s been ruled out as a suspect, save for some yard workers who have been interviewed and, in some cases, polygraphed, he said.

snipped

That includes the Dermonds’ three adult children.

“I’ve never eliminated them,” he said, though he cautioned there’s no evidence linking them to the slayings.

If it is one of the children, two or even all three - they will be found out. :moo: Was Mr. and Mrs D's will recently changed? Insurance policy taken out on them recently by the children? If there's something fishy going on with the family I think someone will dish on them. I'm betting the kids weren't all that familiar with the lake, and neither would a hit man for the mafia, unless he hired a guide - and that doesn't fit. When exactly did the Dermonds sell their boat? I have heard 2 years ago and several months ago.

The really sad thing will be that it is just as they left it. Maybe clothes laid out for the party. A new hat for the Derby. Medicine bottles, perfume on the dresser. So sad. jmo

Im also thinking luminol. Areas dusted for prints. Its gonna be so horrible for them.

Need the tox reports.
What if somebody "stopped by" for a drink, drugged them, and then did what they did? Wonder if any beverage glasses are missing?

Need the tox reports.
What if somebody "stopped by" for a drink, drugged them, and then did what they did? Wonder if any beverage glasses are missing?

Yes, definitely need the tox reports. That will help rule out a lot of people, I think.

:bedtime: :websleuther: rule! Gotta walk the :beagle: and then :eek:fftobed:

BBM

But why not remove the head of Mrs D if the killer used the same object? Time restraints?

I wonder which one died first.

If there are 2 killers, perhaps each used a different object to murder.

From the Eatonton Messenger....this was posted earlier.

Web shopping scam nets $2K
A four-day, $2,000-plus shopping spree on two websites came as a big shock to the Putnam County couple asked to foot the bill.
Russell and Shirley Dermond, of Carolyn Drive near Lake Oconee, reported seven charges on their American Express card were made by someone else.
Five purchases on Macys.com and two purchases on Amazon.com were made between Sept. 20-23.

I sure would like to know what items those 7 charges were for. Perhaps an unusual object?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01