GBC Trial General Discussion Thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
What woman who just had their hair done and a conference the next day would go for a walk out in the elements, let alone a 14km walk.

I agree Radster, Ok so the prosecution are just presenting one witness after another and it doesn't seem like there are any gotcha moments but they are slowly building their case. The jury will have plenty of time to think about the evidence and look through the transcripts of each witness. Closing arguments will also pull the prosecutions case together and direct their focus on how they should view the evidence.

So far it appears from the girls evidence that Allison was at home when they went to bed, watching TV and GBC was there too. Allison ended up dead under a bridge 14kms away and that the cause of death was determined not to be from natural causes. Female screams were heard that night and her blood and hair were found in the boot area of the new captiva. GBC rang his family and the police way too early for a missing person presumed to be slightly late from a walk, then as soon as his father arrives he goes off somewhere in the captiva for 30 mins. Then when the police look in it later there are toys in the back that the girls say had not been in there and were going to be collected. He has fresh scratch like marks on his face that are very suspicious and I doubt if the defence will find anyone to say they are made by that razor. Allison has foliage from the carport area in her hair and clothes, having had her hair freshly done that evening. GBC had the means, opportunity and motive to kill his wife. That the girls may not have heard anything that night is not going to get him off. Kids can sleep very soundly. I am not buying into speculation that he drugged them.

Still lots of evidence to come. Nigel should not be discussing his evidence with anyone as he is in the middle of it, but thats impossible to monitor. I think the jury would be wary of his evidence given that he is the accused's father.

So suggest everyone sit back and stay calm. As to what is on tomorrow, it is legal argument so it could be anything about the conduct of the case. Could be to do with the media or evidence.

Thanks for this Ali.

Sweet-Friday.png

http://www.sweetcomments.net/images/lollipops/Sweet-Friday.png

I agree Radster, Ok so the prosecution are just presenting one witness after another and it doesn't seem like there are any gotcha moments but they are slowly building their case. The jury will have plenty of time to think about the evidence and look through the transcripts of each witness. Closing arguments will also pull the prosecutions case together and direct their focus on how they should view the evidence.

So far it appears from the girls evidence that Allison was at home when they went to bed, watching TV and GBC was there too. Allison ended up dead under a bridge 14kms away and that the cause of death was determined not to be from natural causes. Female screams were heard that night and her blood and hair were found in the boot area of the new captiva. GBC rang his family and the police way too early for a missing person presumed to be slightly late from a walk, then as soon as his father arrives he goes off somewhere in the captiva for 30 mins. Then when the police look in it later there are toys in the back that the girls say had not been in there and were going to be collected. He has fresh scratch like marks on his face that are very suspicious and I doubt if the defence will find anyone to say they are made by that razor. Allison has foliage from the carport area in her hair and clothes, having had her hair freshly done that evening. GBC had the means, opportunity and motive to kill his wife. That the girls may not have heard anything that night is not going to get him off. Kids can sleep very soundly. I am not buying into speculation that he drugged them.

Still lots of evidence to come. Nigel should not be discussing his evidence with anyone as he is in the middle of it, but thats impossible to monitor. I think the jury would be wary of his evidence given that he is the accused's father.

So suggest everyone sit back and stay calm. As to what is on tomorrow, it is legal argument so it could be anything about the conduct of the case. Could be to do with the media or evidence.

Thanks Alioop. Is it correct that any witnesses can be recalled at anytime?? Or once they have given evidence is that it??

And yes it is to my BBM, unfortunately!

Sorry if it's been mentioned , but are there witnesses today?

Mr Baden-Clay Snr said he had intended to leave the Brookfield home, but an hour after he had arrived there the first group of police arrived and told him to stay.

'I was about to leave and do little jobs and the police constable asked me to stay and not drive the car.'

Mr Baden-Clay Snr told the court that on April 20, 2012 his son was absent for around 30 minutes from the house

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...yed-court-day-murder-trial.html#ixzz34T2gvjbi

“He said `the vacuum is in the car and so is a hose pipe, so if you’d like to just go and get them out of my Prado, if you could go and do that it would be a great help’.

“I took the vacuum cleaner and the hose pipe and put them in the boot of my car.

I was about to leave and go and do these little jobs and the police Constable asked me to stay where I was and not to take the car.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...son-went-missing/story-fnihsrf2-1226952516127

I feel that TM would have felt "sick at the thought of encountering Allison at the conference", because deep down she would have truly felt shame in knowing that her relationship with GBC wasn't right as he was still married to Allison. Seeing Allison would have reminded her of the wrong. By not encountering Allison she could in some ways avoid the feelings of shame. She could just play the game of justifying that the relationship was right. This is all my humble opinion. No matter how much people try and justify their actions it is impossible for people to not feel shame when they are doing something they know isn't right.

I'm not so sure Seeking, you may be being overly generous to her character 😊my interpretation of the transcripts and phone calls btw Gered (intentional mispronunciation) and her is that she felt entitled to him and outraged that allison still had expectations of and hopes for the relationship - I kept interpreting a 'how dare she try to take what's mine' tone/subtext on TM's part

Anyone else feeling a little underwhelmed at the first week?? I guess coz we've been on here discussing for so long, we haven't found out much that we didn't already know... Geez I hope they've got some good stuff up their sleeves!!!!!!
Biggest thanks to everyone who's been retweeting and live reporting!!! Still hoping to get in there one day next week, or maybe the week after, towards the end... Drove twice over the bridge yesterday (my mum lives 5 minutes away) Was beautiful to see all the sunflowers :)
May justice prevail......

Anyone else feeling a little underwhelmed at the first week?? I guess coz we've been on here discussing for so long, we haven't found out much that we didn't already know... Geez I hope they've got some good stuff up their sleeves!!!!!!Biggest thanks to everyone who's been retweeting and live reporting!!! Still hoping to get in there one day next week, or maybe the week after, towards the end... Drove twice over the bridge yesterday (my mum lives 5 minutes away) Was beautiful to see all the sunflowers :)

I'm sure there'll be "some good stuff" to come.

In just about every case spanning last few years CCTVs have proven their worth to Law Enforcement.

If I was a betting person I'd be putting all my $$s on CCTV footage from the roundabout.

In just about every case spanning last few years CCTVs have proven their worth to Law Enforcement.

If I was a betting person I'd be putting all my $$s on CCTV footage from the roundabout.

But surely defence would be all over that and the crown would be probing already???

That's what has me worried. I guess nbc is on the stand again Monday so maybe they're just warming up, but I would have thought if they considered him involved they'd be right in there asking the hard questions? Or does the case have to follow some kind of process like building the scene or outlining all the parties before they get into the guts of it?

Anyone else feeling a little underwhelmed at the first week?? I guess coz we've been on here discussing for so long, we haven't found out much that we didn't already know... Geez I hope they've got some good stuff up their sleeves!!!!!!
Biggest thanks to everyone who's been retweeting and live reporting!!! Still hoping to get in there one day next week, or maybe the week after, towards the end... Drove twice over the bridge yesterday (my mum lives 5 minutes away) Was beautiful to see all the sunflowers :)

I'm more confused than underwhelmed. I too hope they've got some 'good stuff' up their sleeves, because so far there has been nothing, in my opinion, that justifies an arrest, let alone a conviction. But then, it is only the beginning.
I have been confused about this whole thing from the start - but have assumed that police have some damning evidence that has not yet been made publicly available or they wouldn't have arrested him in the first place - so there must be a lot more to come that we don't yet know about.

I sure hope so, because the thought that a father has been removed from his kids at a time when they would have most needed him, just because of some suspiciously shaped scratches on his face and some not so perfect marital behaviour, makes me feel almost as sick as the thought that he may have killed his wife.

Thanks Alioop. Is it correct that any witnesses can be recalled at anytime?? Or once they have given evidence is that it??

And yes it is to my BBM, unfortunately!

I think that if a witness may need to be recalled, as opposed to just a break in their testimony where say court has finished for the day, then the lawyer has to seek permission from the Judge before the witness leaves the witnesses box. They would also have to have a good reason as it is very inconvenient for a witness to have to hang around and be further available.

I'm more confused than underwhelmed. I too hope they've got some 'good stuff' up their sleeves, because so far there has been nothing, in my opinion, that justifies an arrest, let alone a conviction. But then, it is only the beginning.
I have been confused about this whole thing from the start - but have assumed that police have some damning evidence that has not yet been made publicly available or they wouldn't have arrested him in the first place - so there must be a lot more to come that we don't yet know about.

I sure hope so, because the thought that a father has been removed from his kids at a time when they would have most needed him, just because of some suspiciously shaped scratches on his face and some not so perfect marital behaviour, makes me feel almost as sick as the thought that he may have killed his wife.

Very well said, RLTP

My observation of the questioning of Bwana yesterday was as I would have expected a police interview to be like. Lots of simple questions in quick succession. Sometimes going back and asking the same question but worded differently.
I'm pretty sure they are going to catch him out.
The only problem I can see is him saying 'I don't recall' at convenient times.
The prosecutor questioning him really was fantastic.

An example of this was when he was asked if on the evening of the 19th April did he have dinner with Olivia and Family as well as GBC and kids at his house. I am pretty sure he answered that he couldn't recall. The prosecutor pushed a bit but then moved on to the next question.
I remember this because I thought at the time a huge life changing event happened the next day and you can't remember who you had dinner with the night before :banghead:
Further in the questioning the prosecutor was discussing that afternoon ( 19th April) and Bwana agreed to a statement put to him that BC kids were swimming and playing with Olivia's kids. So what do you know he can remember after all !

I'm sure if that happened to an ordinary person you'd be going over and over those last days and remembering everything.

After watching Bwana yesterday I have no doubt that he is going to get himself tangled up in lies. He needs to think quickly and on the spot. He doesn't have a police statement to refer to. He is going to have to remember what answer ( lie ) he has given previously.
I wish I could go back Monday to see him finished off !
What's the bet he takes ill over the weekend and doesn't appear again :mad:

Perhaps the truth is in "the bag"....the vac bag...which I'm sure would have been tested.

Forensic witnesses are going to be mighty interesting!!

Does the prosecution have to share all their findings with the defence?
Say if they found Allison's freshly done hair in the vacuum or CCTV of the roundabout, would they share their findings with the prosecution?
They did with her hair and blood in sparky.
Can they keep those trump cards?

Thanks wewillgetyou for your thoughts about the prosecutor being fantastic in his questioning of NBC. That is the stuff that doesn't come across to people not in the courtroom. Todd Fuller knows exactly what he is doing. Also bear in mind that jurors don't like to see lawyers asking questions crossly or harshly particularly of older people even in cross examination where there is more scope to ask leading questions. So a good prosecutor should be polite and calm and ask questions nicely that elicit the information that they are trying to get or to expose credibility issues with the witness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NomDePlumme