The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 26th June - Trial Day 11, Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question for Alioop: does his taking the stand today mean that Prosecution gets the 'last word'?

Alioop will say it much more eloquently and with much more authority I am sure but yes, the prosecution will have the opportunity of cross examining him after the defence has finished its questioning.

I'm wondering whether GBC was scaring Allison, talking about disasters and so on?

I can only speak for myself but when I'm down i carry the weight of the world with me. Any negative event that goes on around me will be like more weight I have to carry around. I do get very pessimistic about what a horrible world we live in so I figure it's probably just a sign of her depression/anxiety being bad.

I see his constant mentions of her depression/anxiety symptoms as being a "look at me and what a fabulous person I am. I had to suffer all her ups and downs, forego business class jaunts, do everything around the house all while i make an immense amount of money using my immeasurable gifts, despite having to drop what i was doing at any given moment, and I did it for beautiful Allison because that's the fabulous guy I am and would never harm her."

kind of like munchausen syndrome, but using anxiety instead, keeping her in a constant state of vulnerability?

A narcissist doesn't show care because they actually care - it's to look good to others. In his mind she owed him big time - plus interest - for things being not All About Gerard.

While GBC is now putting his sickly sweet spin on "Looking After Allison" if he just did a tenth of what he said, a narcissist would be brewing massive amounts of resentment and anger. Judging by his strong reluctance to do the 15 minute sessions, that resentment and anger was still bubbling away barely under the surface.

yes. Imagine the rage at having to be home every night at 5 and having his phone checked? (if that did indeed happen (we only have what he told his work partners) - I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was reversed too and that he checked up on Alison. Cheaters can become irrationally jealous themselves, cos they think everyone else acts like them)

Given that Byrne is supposedly a top drawer QC, and given that this apparently long-winded and highly detailed opening address would seem to be a silly move (jury still awake there?) and he's going to have to put GBC up there to say it all again, I can't help wondering if this is a strategic ploy? Narrate the whole GBC story himself, as he thinks HE can be more convincing to the jury than GBC can? And of course, Byrne can't be cross-examined, so what he puts out there - is out there.

Apart from seeing it as a deliberate strategy, I can't for the life of me understand why he is doing this .....

Is it possible that before gbc takes the stand he can become violently ill and be unable to do so?

I'm wondering whether GBC was scaring Allison, talking about disasters and so on?

I can only speak for myself but when I'm down i carry the weight of the world with me. Any negative event that goes on around me will be like more weight I have to carry around. I do get very pessimistic about what a horrible world we live in so I figure it's probably just a sign of her depression/anxiety being bad.

I see his constant mentions of her depression/anxiety symptoms as being a "look at me and what a fabulous person I am. I had to suffer all her ups and downs, forego business class jaunts, do everything around the house all while i make an immense amount of money using my immeasurable gifts, despite having to drop what i was doing at any given moment, and I did it for beautiful Allison because that's the fabulous guy I am and would never harm her."

I understand, I've had those dark days too. :hug:

and I agree, he wants the 'husband and father' of the year award, and he would never have hurt Allison.
He sounds like a desperate shyster to me and they can be capable of anything when pushed into a corner. jmo

Well what an unexpected day.

So Allison had a history of depression which the prosecution doesn't challenge but according to what Mr Byrne said Gerard will say about the night Allison died, they did not have an argument nor did he tell her that Toni would be at the conference. So they were doing their 15 min discussion and otherwise had a perfectly normal night. She seemed fine, they were making progress on their marriage problems.

Then Allison disappears that night and is found dead 10 days later and the defence suggest she committed suicide. He will explain he lied to Toni in his email about the 1 st July as he would never have left his wife. He will explain that he wasn't under as much financial pressure as the prosecution alleges.

If one accepts his version of events that night, and all the other witnesses who testified as to her state of mind at the time including the many people she saw that day, then the million dollar question is why would Allison commit suicide when she seemed fine. It is very difficult to believe and also given the evidence that she didn't jump off the bridge or overdose on Zoloft, not medically plausible.

I just don't think the jury will buy into his version as it does not in anyway gel with the manner and circumstances of her death.

The prosecution would have been loving today. They have lots of time to prepare for cross examination as Mr Byrne has kindly told them in detail what his evidence will be.

Seating will be at a premium on Monday.

OT
Ippygal, hope you woke up ok and aren't too sore [emoji40]
You have rather a lot of reading to do...

No matter how many "bad" days Allison may (or may not) have had, no matter how many times she may (or may not) have had anxiety - I still can't see why it is relevant to the fact (at least I think it's a fact) that she did not get to Kholo Creek of her own accord. Maybe GBC plans to enlighten us as to why her mental health history is relevant.

A question for Alioop: does his taking the stand today mean that Prosecution gets the 'last word'?

The prosecution will cross examine him when his lawyers have finished with his evidence. Then the defence can ask him questions on re direct, just to clear something up. But the defence will sum up last after the defence closes their case.

Poor man, he must be so unlucky to have so many bad things happen in such a short space of time, not to mention his wife's depression, causing her to disappear and be found deceased.
Seriously, the jury hopefully are normal people.

That's certainly the case with panic disorder. Any crisis or tragic event can really increase the sense of panic. Someone extremely close to me suffered from this disorder and their fear was always heightened by news broadcasts regarding the Iraq war - but only during an attack. Furthermore when a person succumbs to a panic attack one often associates whatever was happening at the time (particularly at the onset of the disorder) as a condition that could precipitate a further episode. In Alison's case it was driving, in my mate's case it was an overcast sky/storm.

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 10s

Byrne says Gerard was happy to assist police, wasn't until his father said "this isn't like a missing person's case" that lawyer was called.

Byrne says police seemed to become more suspicious because Gerard had spoken to a lawyer. #badenclay

No , I think it may have been the huge gorges in your face!

"I know that it was the fingernail scratches that caused alarm for the Police"
I was told this from a former investigator in this case. :loveyou: and happy birthday *advertiser censored* RIP *advertiser censored*

He , my wonderful Brother,RIP, and his comrades , jumped to attention and banded together , to find sweet mother Allison.

They knew she had defended herself, the Police watched Gerard, over talkative, sweating, acting like a drongo,scratches on face , etc. and didn't hide the fact that the scratches were a problem for them.

The police had no problem with him running off to see a solicitor instead of searching for Allison. ...that's his right.
They did expected it though. He was simply doing what the smarter murders do.
Especially one who was confident , he'd pulled it off.

GBC knew that he was caught, he watched and questioned the police reactions.
(New story, Daddio said I needed a solicitor really truly, scouts honour and so I drove all the way to the gold coast ........ 2 hrs away. Children? What children? Oh yes, ummmm, sleepover ! Yes!)

Im Allisons husband...
and really needing a Solicitor instead of staying with my children and helping to find Allison.
His actions spoke more than his words.
He wasn't out looking for Dearly beloved Wife Allison, who, oh that's right, kids ? wife missing? Where was Gerard? You ask?
Out late at night meeting with Solicitors ?
Who watched the children 3 nights in a row? :banghead:

WWGY and I were there in court today. Biggest crowd I have seen to date. No doubt WWGY will tell the version of events in due course. If it wasn't for WWGY I would never had made it into court today.

But here is my version of events. I couldn't believe how incredibly boring Byrne was today he took nearly two hours to go through GBC's history with Allison, then GBC takes the stand and we hear it from him. OMG

'you will hear GBC discuss frankly and openly about his infidelities'
'you will hear GBC discuss frankly and openly his business ups and downs'
'you will hear GBC discuss frankly and openly his love for his girls'
'you will hear GBC discuss frankly and openly how he got those scratches'
he just didn't stop......UGH!

And of course GBC was freshly shaven (no scratches anywhere in sight I was slightly disappointed - didn't they think it would increase his credibility to maybe repeat the episode and show he was ***** at shaving?) He was wearing a yellow shirt and tie, obviously in Allison's honour. :sick:
And was dabbing his eyes when he struck a fond memory of his passed wife.

When GBC got on the stand - I was expecting a bit less of an intro to the soap opera life of the BC's but holy Toledo - it was worse than the freakin Barrister. The Barrister started at the beginning and was not leaving a stone unturned. He was on and on and on -from when they first met to about the times Allison & GBC had in Sth America and such detailed stories about each place where Allison got sick - and stayed in bed all day and let him go out and explore.

One of the most interesting parts was mentioned by WWGY in court today GBC's team have set up a routine/excuse for for the phone to be replaced on the charger at 1:18am. Allison 'apparently' took GBC's phone as soon as he got home to check it and handed it back to him in the morning. So ostensibly, Allison would have had to put in on the charger - hope the Prosecution have a way to make this bit of trouble go away.

I couldn't listen to anymore of GBC's drivel - I had enough of the stupid happy family story that began as a fairytale and ended up with him belittling and gaslighting Allison.

thank you for being there for Allison's family, supporters and us here. :tyou:

I agree 100% about the belittling and gaslighting!!!

Could you see if GBC shed any tears? How was his voice? Sorry for the questions, I've had it already and I wasn't even there to hear it in person. lol

Neuro....you are on fire today. Have you been imbibing??

Lol no, not at all. A few cups of tea.

TBH I've been alternating between nausea and laughter reading all this. I made the mistake of eating a late lunch too quickly then catching up on this after 3pm and was feeling physically sick and disgusted at Byrne's testimony. When GBC took the stand it was so ludicrously bad it turned funny (or maybe I was just having a manic reaction to the horror of it all).

The "only read on an empty stomach" comment was a genuine warning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels