Trial Discussion Thread #44 - 14.07.1-2, Day 34-35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 3m

#OscarTrial Derman: is currently professor of sports and exercise medicine at the University of Cape Town

To me Oldwage always seems to want what he says to be more dramatic and earth shattering than it really is.

But there's always a first time I 'spose.

Talking about 'stump/socket interface with prosthesis ' where they create 'a joint where a joint is not there'.

friction/rubbing one of the main probs with athletes.

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 22s

#OscarTrial Derman: has given a lecture on amputee stump / socket interface, related to the prosthesis.

The Stump Socket Interface-----u learn something new everyday here on WS...

O: What is it that makes travelling with paralympic athletes unique?

D:....wheelchairs .....added level of complexity...

Why? Don't forget it was Dr.MV who testified that the court should taken into consideration her twelve page report at the time of sentencing.

That report was helpful for the defense. Roux and OP never claimed diminished capacity or mental defect that would render him unable to understand what he was doing or appreciate right from wrong.

Dr MV called it GAD, but the report calls it vulnerability, especially when on his stumps. That was the whole point of the doctor's testimony - to explain that Oscar felt threatened and vulnerable to harm because of past incidents and his disability.

In addition, you've now got a report from psychiatrists and psychologists who evaluated him for 30 days and find that he does not have a rage or anger problem and that his emotions and grieving behaviors are sincere.

Is this just to reinforce why it was so important that Reeva understood the stress OP was under when he's competing?

D: Range of disabilites wld include 6 different categories...

Is listing all the categories. Dunno why. OP's cat only wld have done.

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 44s

#OscarTrial Derman: discusses the medical challenges of traveling Paralympic athletes. BB

That report was helpful for the defense. Roux and OP never claimed diminished capacity or mental defect that would render him unable to understand what he was doing or appreciate right from wrong.

Dr MV called it GAD, but the report calls it vulnerability, especially when on his stumps. That was the whole point of the doctor's testimony - to explain that Oscar felt threatened and vulnerable to harm because of past incidents and his disability.

In addition, you've now got a report from psychiatrists and psychologists who evaluated him for 30 days and find that he does not have a rage or anger problem and that his emotions and grieving behaviors are sincere.

I am afraid that I fully agree with you. lol

It will be harder to argue that he snapped in a rage and killed her purposely now.

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 27s

#OscarTrial Derman: nature of impairment ranges from amputation and movement disorders to visual impairment and intellectual impairment

O has asked him to explain 'longtitudal? limb condition/ illness

He is part of a long-term study into what happens to para athletes whose arms are injured, afterwards.

Who really uses the word "aforementioned" when speaking?

Listing pubs his papers on stress response were published. Didn't catch them but they are available in his CV. Which I'm sure is online, for anyone wanting to read the 53 pgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard