Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The term "Estate" is really being used as just a great marketing term to draw people in. Although they did actually have an "Estate" sale, whereby they sold their entire contents of their home, I believe the term garage sale was not being used, because they wanted to imply VALUABLE things were for sale.

I think these people may have been victimized by the placement of their ad for their "Estate" on Kijiji. I don't think their local pink signs drew in their abductors.

If this was a robbery gone bad, it was generated from the Kijiji ads. The criminals probably target affluent neighborhoods, and the Liknes home fit the bill.

I really hope LE is tracing IPs who accessed their kijiji ads prior to their disappearance. I feel it is critical.

JMO

I agree. Estate sales imply higher end items. Usually estate sales are held by family when they are selling the contents of a deceased person`s home. The term may attract different clientele.

I've been lurking...

This photo?

9994200.jpg

gdm2.jpg

Black Lab.

Let's talk about motive.

Perhaps there is something very valuable that the Liknes' had for sale in that house. Maybe they mentioned it to some select prospective buyers. They live in an affluent neighborhood afterall.

Perhaps LE is trying to determine if that particular valuable item that is currently not in the home, was the motive for the crime, and they want to see if someone actually bought it.

They had been selling off their possessions over 3 days- there was probably a substantial amount of cash in the home as well. It will be hard to tell if valuable items were sold, or stolen during the night, unless Nathan's mother can remember specific items before leaving at 10pm.

But- why take the people? The house looks nice, but smaller than many around it according to google maps (that was my observation, anyway). They look comfortable, but they dont look like millionaires- so not great ransom prospects. I wonder if AL declaring bankruptcy left anyone else in a bad financial situation? Someone he owed money too before his bankruptcy? Who might have decided to come and get some of what they were owed?

I must have been typing at the same time as you Otto! Looks like we are thinking in the same direction.

This thread currently has 32 Websleuth members and 52 guests reading it.

If you are one of the many guests who have been following along as we try to figure out where these poor people may be, now is a good time to register and start adding YOUR thoughts and ideas about this horrible tragedy.

You never know - your idea might help solve this crime and bring the missing home. It has happened many times here.

If it turns out there is a financial motive behind this, that someone believes that the actions of one of the adults has left them financially disadvantaged, then cleaning up after themselves makes sense. The presence of Nathan may have been a big surprise. I hope he is being looked after.

-Who's idea was the sleepover?

-When was the sleepover planned?

-Where did Nathan normally sleep?

-Who knew how much money the Liknes made at the sale that day?

-Are their shoes gone?

Well it seems their daughter was helping with the sale during the day and probably visiting for awhile or helping clear up afterwards, so I presume the little boy had fallen asleep by 10:00 pm, and it made sense not to disturb him.

Missing shoes would be interesting, although most people have more than a single pair of shoes, don't they. I guess if I were trying to figure out what item might be missing after a garage sale, I'd be looking for the cash box. Most people use something, a shoe box, a metal box, something to take cash and make change. I also imagine that the wee boy's mum would know where that cash activity was taking place - the driveway? the kitchen? whatever? - and/or she'd know where the day's proceeds were counted. If everything's benign here, that cash box should probably still be where it was last seen. IMO.

If it (or the cash it should have contained) can't be found at least it would be possible to surmise that the originating motive was robbery - and probably not murder.

The black item in the photo looks like black plastic to me. I dont think a forensic team would have a dog anywhere near a crime scene they are trying to process.

If it turns out there is a financial motive behind this, that someone believes that the actions of one of the adults has left them financially disadvantaged, then cleaning up after themselves makes sense. The presence of Nathan may have been a big surprise. I hope he is being looked after.

Yes... the only reason I can imagine for anyone to take these three people (dead or alive) from the home, is if the crime was not in fact random. If a random act by a stranger, I have no idea why on earth you would take either live people or bodies with you.

Well, I zoomed in and did an inversion of the colours on the 8 metre blood trail from the side door, exhibit 14, that leads to the front of the house, exhibit 15 and 16 upthread.

This is extremely disheartening, as someone is severely wounded, if this is indeed blood.

attachment.php

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/0...lgary-grandparents-and-young-boy-went-missing

OTTO- Would you be able to do your red hue thing on this picture for us? I think it would be helpful. TIA :fence:

The Days Inn on MacLeod Trail is 3 minutes away from the L home, according to Google maps.

If the estate sale was advertised days in advance on Kijiji, the perp(s) may have registered at that hotel.

Thinking about the temperature in Calgary on Sunday night and if most people would have had their a/c's on, which would have blocked out a lot of noise if there was a scuffle in the driveway.

imo

If that's a bag, I'll eat my bra. :) I have never seen a lost trash bag. Zoom in and look at the look in that dogs eyes. Look at the ears, the jaw, the nose. All just IMO of course. I could be dead wrong. :)

otto, you're darn good with pictures. Have you tried doing your thingy on that pic friend?

The black item in the photo looks like black plastic to me. I dont think a forensic team would have a dog anywhere near a crime scene they are trying to process.

There was a German Shepherd and a Poodle, running around my brother and his wife, when they were murdered. There was no where else for them to be.

Upthread someone found a kijiji advert placed with a pic of a black dog. There seemed to be a family dog at one point, and we have questioned if they still had that dog or what happened to that dog.

I must have been typing at the same time as you Otto! Looks like we are thinking in the same direction.

It looks like there are a few possibilities in terms of motive. There's the possibility that someone expected that there would be $2-3000 in cash in the house from the estate sale, but there's no reason to take the people. It's possible that Alvin, and everyone in the house, was taken by a random perp to force him to access his bank accounts. It's possible that when Nathan's father and grandfather declared bankrupcy, they left someone in financial ruin and that person was determined to get some sort of payback now that the family advertised on kijiji that they were liquidating and skipping town. All of those possibilities include taking any other valuables, such as jewelery, that may have been in the house. There's the offhand possibility that this was a domestic situation and the grandfather has fled to Mazatlan to visit his identical twin brother. The problem with that scenario is that all of the vehicles associated with the family are accounted for.

Going to check on another thread. BBL.

I just had a thought that I thought was really great and really needed to be said.

Then I lost it.

Grrrrrrr. Racking my brain to try to get it back.

If that's a bag, I'll eat my bra. :) I have never seen a lost trash bag. Zoom in and look at the look in that dogs eyes. Look at the ears, the jaw, the nose. All just IMO of course. I could be dead wrong. :)

Careful Tulessa ... we all saw a dog in the car window in the Tori Stafford case. Was nothing more than pareidolia (<that word). If I allow myself, looking at that bag (or whatever it is), I see Nathan with his hand to his mouth, and Grandma's head on his shoulder. Keepin' stick on ice here though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member