The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 10th July - Trial Day 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
The judge says that somebody wearing purple approached the jury...then one of our WS members observes Olivia being given some official-looking paperwork on court letterhead that makes her visibly unhappy...hmm...putting 2 and 2 together....forming an opinion (just my opinion, of course!)

Did this happen yesterday MadDoc? And was Olivia wearing purple? Sorry, I am way behind here, have not been able to read all threads over last week.

A massive thank you to all those who have relayed the tweets during the course of the trial, and everyone else who helps keep Websleuths running smoothly, especially Marly and Kimster, grand effort!

My initial thoughts back in the early days was that it could have been manslaughter if he lashed out and hit her but didn't mean to kill her, which does happen with frightening regularity actually (they call them "one punch killers"). But the problem with that scenario in this case is everything that was subsequently done to cover up the death is inconsistent with a claim that he didn't mean to kill her. Usually where it's a one punch death the issue is not whether the perp killed the victim, it's whether they intended to.
Those "one punch" killers have been charged with murder recently too. You don't need to intend to kill the person for it to be murder. If he inflicted grievous bodily harm on her intentionally ie a punch, and she subsequently died, that is still murder.

Morning everyone looking forward to a great positive result today!

An update to the Jury service as I did know of someone this happened to so i thought I would look it to make sure I had not been dreaming it.

Yes I found it under 'Myths about Jury Service' in QLD On rare occasion if the jury do not reach a verdict by end of days the Judge my order an overnight stay in a hotel they will get the stay & meals paid by the court! Generally the Judge may indicate this before the start of the trial?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...rs-deliberations-continue-20140710-zt35q.html

Gerard Baden-Clay trial: jurors' deliberations continue
July 10, 2014 - 4:52PM by Marissa Calligeros

A Queensland Supreme Court jury of seven men and five women left the courthouse on Thursday having failed to reach a verdict after deliberating for more than five hours from 11.10am... Their deliberations were interrupted when it was revealed one juror had downloaded material from the internet. The material was from an overseas commentator who wrote about the role of a jury in a criminal trial...An exasperated Justice John Byrne called the jurors back into the courtroom to remind them of their parameters...

just looked at the poll results , cant believe only 3 out of 86 reckon he will get off , hope the jury think so too :jail:

Whenever I hear the name Clay I think of the Waltons TV series or rather the original Spencers Mountain.
In the original Spencer's Mountain movie the eldest son was Clay-Boy, later changed to John-Boy for the tv series.
Olivia Walton was the mothers name in the tv series.

Goodnight Gerard-boy...

The judge says that somebody wearing purple approached the jury...then one of our WS members observes Olivia being given some official-looking paperwork on court letterhead that makes her visibly unhappy...hmm...putting 2 and 2 together....forming an opinion (just my opinion, of course!)
If 2+2 does equal 4, what is it with this family??? Gered trying to pass a note to the jury via bailiff (allegedly) and Olivia approaching a jury member (allegedly). It's just such a flagrant refusal to comply with legal requirements that are meant to apply to all and sundry - not everyone except baden clays ��

Morning everyone looking forward to a great positive result today!

An update to the Jury service as I did know of someone this happened to so i thought I would look it to make sure I had not been dreaming it.

Yes I found it under 'Myths about Jury Service' in QLD On rare occasion if the jury do not reach a verdict by end of days the Judge my order an overnight stay in a hotel they will get the stay & meals paid by the court! Generally the Judge may indicate this before the start of the trial?

The Jayant Patel jury was sequestered during their deliberations, so it does happen

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-06-25/patel-jury-sequestered-for-third-night/881616

Did this happen yesterday MadDoc? And was Olivia wearing purple? Sorry, I am way behind here, have not been able to read all threads over last week.

A massive thank you to all those who have relayed the tweets during the course of the trial, and everyone else who helps keep Websleuths running smoothly, especially Marly and Kimster, grand effort!

That is my understanding of events - gathered from the previous few pages of this thread, maybe those who were in court can confirm/ provide more detail.

I really hope that there is not grounds for a mistrial. I also hope that if there is the slightest further hint of jury interference, the Judge will sequester them for the rest of the deliberations.

If 2+2 does equal 4, what is it with this family??? Gered trying to pass a note to the jury via bailiff (allegedly) and Olivia approaching a jury member (allegedly). It's just such a flagrant refusal to comply with legal requirements that are meant to apply to all and sundry - not everyone except baden clays ��

Doidy early on before GBC was arrested Nigel had been quoted as saying in the media something along the lines of ( - I think it was to Bruce Flegg - this is very hazey memory of mine), where is GBC's police protection from all this? Meaning protection from the media and the fact that GBC was a victim - Typical stuff just forget about Allison and getting her back - worry about GBC. It is this sense of entitlement and haughtiness that gives me the proverbial poops.

That is my understanding of events - gathered from the previous few pages of this thread, maybe those who were in court can confirm/ provide more detail.

I really hope that there is not grounds for a mistrial. I also hope that if there is the slightest further hint of jury interference, the Judge will sequester them for the rest of the deliberations.
seems fairly mild for a mistial I would think MOO what does Ali think

It's going to get a little crazy in here again soon, so while it's quiet I just wanted to say how I have enjoyed this "journey" with you all.
Unfortunately I am not currently at home in Brisbane otherwise I would have loved to come and put some faces to your names. It would be a hoot and I hope that those who do meet have a good time meeting each other.
Anyway, I have a feeling we may have a verdict today close to 5. I have absolutely no idea of course but that's what my bet would be.
I'm going to miss this forum.
I am now also stuck on a Canadian mystery, it's such a strange one about 2 grandparents and their 5 year old is missing with them after an estate sale. Not posting over there but following with interest.

It's going to get a little crazy in here again soon, so while it's quiet I just wanted to say how I have enjoyed this "journey" with you all.
Unfortunately I am not currently at home in Brisbane otherwise I would have loved to come and put some faces to your names. It would be a hoot and I hope that those who do meet have a good time meeting each other.
Anyway, I have a feeling we may have a verdict today close to 5. I have absolutely no idea of course but that's what my bet would be.
I'm going to miss this forum.
I am now also stuck on a Canadian mystery, it's such a strange one about 2 grandparents and their 5 year old is missing with them after an estate sale. Not posting over there but following with interest.

I am thinking a verdict today too ,don't really know why but reckon we will have something after lunch

Seems like a cheats way of trying to avoid going through all the evidence and statements and going for the short version. Both sides would want them to consider all the things they said not the cliff notes.

That makes sense Susan. Thanks.

do they believe someone else moved the body...?

I don't think so. The prosecution strongly alleged GBC put her in the car and dumped Allison under the bridge.

seems fairly mild for a mistial I would think MOO what does Ali think

Mild infringement and dealt with very early. I think the juror brought out his printout info and the other jurors went what the hell and told the bailiff.

I was being silly, I thought you were a gambling man. :blush:

Anyway, carry on, I'm off to get more coffee........... :blush:

Ebony Cavallaro ‏@ebonycavallaro 20s

Around 2 dozen punters milling around court 11 waiting for any #badenclay development this morning. @9NewsBrisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get